(Multiplayer) Crowd Control Bosses Rework: Dynamic Spawn Limits

I'm making this to address crowd control bosses, specifically in multiplayer. My suggestion is that the spawn rates/spawn caps of Crowd Control Bosses in multiplayer should be dynamic: That is, the rates/caps should decrease as more players die. Examples of Crowd Control Bosses are Sentry, Power Flower, and Giant Thorn Worms. (Giant Thorn Worms are a very different kind of crowd control experience though, for obvious reasons.)

Now I know this makes crowd control bosses easier so hear me out for a second. The reason I'm making such a suggestion is this: In any non-crowd control boss, a single player can carry his perished allies to victory if he's skilled enough. Generally speaking, a boss in multiplayer will have increased HP proportional to the number of players present. There's even the possibility for strong/faster opponents. However, if a single player is skilled enough at the boss, he will be able to defeat it if skilled enough. As an example, I'm usually the one who ends up carrying in multiplayer at the Hardmode Priestess fight. In fact, I've carried during an HM Priestess fight on Beast Mode with 3 players (including myself).

The reason I point out that other bosses "allow carrying" is that crowd control bosses do not always permit carrying. Instead, crowd control bosses in multiplayer HM often guarantee failure if the other party members die. This is even more so the case if more than 2 living players were originally present. This happens because the spawn rate and spawn cap are noticeably increased in multiplayer. If the rate/cap is too large after the other players have died, then a skilled player will not be able to defeat the boss in a prolonged fight. Instead, they will have a certain amount of time to do decent DPS to the boss as the number of enemies increases. If that time takes too long, there will eventually be too many enemies, and the final player will be overtaken. Stated differently, the last player standing is punished if his allies die (which is for the most part out of his control). The last player's survival is not based on skill, but on a time bomb imposed on him against his will. (Focusing the enemies too much means the boss pretty much never gets damaged. Focusing the boss too much ensures the other enemies overtake you. A perfect balance is obtainable in singleplayer, but not in multiplayer due to the increased spawn rate/cap.)

It's strange -- arguably unfair -- for a single player to be unable to carry the rest of the team specifically because of crowd control boss fights. So it's fair and proper to change the spawn rates and the spawn cap as other people die. How this specifically plays out is up for debate. (Suggestions? Comments?) The rate/cap could be changed to fit the current number of living players. Or, the rate/cap could be changed to fit the current number of living players + 1 (because having more than a single person can affect a lot) unless the current number of living players is 1.

Bear in mind: I think that the way crowd-control-boss HP works in multiplayer should remain unchanged. That is, I still think that crowd control bosses should have more HP in multiplayer, which is the standard for all bosses.

Last edited: