Needs Local Multiplayer as well, not just online.

sammy1205

Green Slime
This game is actually quite excellent imo. The combat system is in depth and overall it's just really fun. I really dislike how it has no local co-op, and that the only way to play with a friend is through another computer. It should support local co-op as well. That's my biggest complaint. I understand that the keyboard hotkeys are rather extensive, but most of the time I end up only spamming 2 shortcuts anyway along with my direction keys, basic and shield attack, as well as start button. that's 9 keys. there is more than enough space for at least one more player on my keyboard, or a usb plugged in keyboard. I could cram another person in on my keyboard and let them set up their own keys to coordinate with mine, or simply just plug in another USB keyboard. So long as our keys don't overlap we'd be fine. Plus, if people brought game controllers, we wouldn't have any kind of problem with overlapping controls in the first place.

A pretty big disappointment.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Sorry to disappoint you, we're doing our best with the time and assets we have! :( Right now we feel that the time it would take to implement and bug-test native co-op support in addition to the online version is better spent on making more gameplay content, such as additional areas and quests.

Teddy (our programmer) is a fan of local co-op and plans to include a workaround at some point. It might not be optimal, but it may be the best we can do for now. Here's a quote:
Teddy said:
Currently, there is no good local co-op solution, but at some point I'm going to add a hack where you can assign gamepads to game instances and then connect to your own computer with multiple windows. This is, of course, not optimal, but it should work and if you really want to play local co-op, this might be better than nothing!

sammy1205

Green Slime
That workaround hack actually sounds much better than nothing. It'd definitely bring me back to the old days, playing on a split screen television heh heh. I honestly don't care how "sloppy" or "unprofessional" it is, that sounds like it'd work just fine. If there was local co-op for this game in any way shape or form, that'd be amazing. The game is already quite addictive and I find myself spending a couple hours here and there just going through arcade mode testing out different styles of gameplay. Honestly I'm having much more fun with this game than many other games I play like League of Legends and S4 League. My current favorite style is prioritizing cloud, with one point in the snow creature and one point in swarming bugs, while animation canceling with a 2h using shield. Berserker is nice but it's too dangerous for the long term of Arcade mode, but it gives me a challenge since when I use Berserker I do progress through rooms much faster. I could see berserker being necessary if one ever wanted to rise to the challenge of speed running through arcade mode and it's unforgiving lack of HP restoration (which I like.)

The perfect guard adds a great amount of depth and reminds me of the Ys series in an excellent way, and the the way it cooperates with the charge system is fantastic. You guys have really created something special.

Hopefully Teddy can create that work around soon. I'd love to play this game with my friends on the same computer. A big reason why I want local coop mode is so my friends can try the game out without buying it. I know that's what a demo is for but it'd just be easier since I have friends over often and most of the time they're too lazy to try things out (dl a demo and install it.) But if there's local co-op mode in this game and they can just jump in and play, they'll probably realize while playing how great this game is. Ultimately it'd be good for you guys too imo, since arcade mode is most definitely a party style game. I feel like it'd spread by word of mouth the same way the smash melee scene is still alive today.

As a last note, whoever animated the chicken is fantastic. They flap so fluidly.