Play with a gamepad (JoyToKey & other tools)

Fred

Developer
Staff member
I use the DS3-Tool for my original ps3 controller and it has always worked smoothly for me!
While the DS3-Tool site seems to be down at the moment (or forever!?) Nebelhorn recommended BetterDS3 which should work smoothly as well.

TheEuphoGuy

Green Slime
I'm using an XInput wrapper for my DS3 controller. It works great, however it can only be downloaded from a PS2 emulation website, so I'm not sure that I can provide a link.

Tarkus

Green Slime
I use the DS3-Tool for my original ps3 controller and it has always worked smoothly for me!
While the DS3-Tool site seems to be down at the moment (or forever!?) Nebelhorn recommended BetterDS3 which should work smoothly as well.

Echo that statement. I've always preferred my Dual Shock to an Xbox 360 controller. I also strongly recommend the BetterDS3. Why? Because if either your internet or the server that hosts DS3 tool goes down, it can't check in with the server and you can't use the program. BetterDS3 allows offline usage.

Laysics

Green Slime
I see all these controller issues and they all seem to stem from people using DS3 contollers.
My 360 controller was recognized immediately on start up and hasn't been an issue since.

TheEuphoGuy

Green Slime
I see all these controller issues and they all seem to stem from people using DS3 contollers.
My 360 controller was recognized immediately on start up and hasn't been an issue since.

Its a known issue with the DS3 controllers. From what I understand, the controller itself needs to receive a "Start" command before it will start working correctly. However the Start command isn't accessible to the user, so the device will not wake up when connected to a pc. That's the primary purpose of DS3-tool and Better DS3. The method I use makes changes to how the driver works, enabling the Start command without having a program running in the background.

Dissius

Green Slime
There are small connectors you can buy and typically splice to use a PS3 Controller as a XB360. Then again I know many aren't keen on cutting up cables. Though I'm sure folks have made -hub- connectors that accomplish the same thing. For instance I had a hub connector that was essentially a spliced USB cord that could allow you to plug a PS2 controller into it and then the other end into a USB slot. It was fairly cheap on Amazon as well.

Pwarp

Green Slime
I was trying to get my controller to recognized but, even after I tried using DSX tool to emulate 360, PS3 and PS3 controllers it still wouldn't work. I have a generic PS3 controller (Gamestop version) and, although I hate it with a passion, it will have to do me until I can go out and get a new PS3 controller.

Is that the reason why I can't get it to work or am I just doing something wrong? After going to the config menu there was no way to change from Keyboard to Controller, which is a bit odd so that's why I figured it required an emulated (or real) PS3 or Xbox 360 controller.

So, any ideas or will I have to wait to get a normal PS3 controller? Keyboard doesn't bother me at all but I would like to bug test using a controller as well.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Pwarp

Green Slime
My 360 controller worked right off the bat when I plugged it in. It definitely has 360 support, no idea about others.

Now if we talk here and on Onrpg we will be like...Wizards. :p

Thanks man, I'll try to emulate the 360 controller again tonight and see if that works. I would get a normal 360 controller but Sony controllers feel so much better to me.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
I have merged your controller thread with the existing one, let's keep it all in one place to make it easier to find information! :)

Hopefully one of the tools people have mentioned here work for you!

Anakha

Green Slime
My PS4 controller also worked right off the bat. Although I wish there were a way to reconfigure the controls. I don´t want shield on X (A) but instead on square (X). Anyone knows if there is a way to rebind without the use of external programs?

ark626

Found a neat tool which is (in my opinion) way better than those mentioned.
It's called x360ce and works as followed.

Instruktions:
  1. Connect your gamepad,gamewheel or what you want to use.
  2. start the x360ce.exe
  3. if in front of the register Controller 1 is a red square go on with 4. if its green jump to 5.
  4. Go from general to advanced and remove the hook in the field Pass Trough.(now it should be green)
  5. map the buttons and the axis of your device to the buttons of the 360 controller.
  6. You can press the buttons and test if the correct are highlited in the graphic.
  7. If everything is as you please press SAVE and exit the programm.
  8. Now copy the x360ce.ini and the xinput1_3.dll files into the SecretsofGrindea folder.
  9. Start the game and check if its working.
Download: https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/detail?name=x360ce.App-2.1.2.191.zip&can=2&q=

Instruktion Video

Devenir

Green Slime
I tried using JoyToKey and BetterDS with my PSP. I wasn't able to set it up. With JTK I was able to map my PSP to type letters but in game the buttons don't do anything. Is it possible to use the PSP as a controller for SoG? I used the PSP as a controller for a lot of emulators with like a 99% success rate.

Maky

Green Slime
try scarletcrush's xna controller proggy. Its non intrusive simple to install and runs as a silent service in the background. no annoying interfaces to deal with (if you dont want to). Thers still an .exe that you can customize things with thats included in the install folder. I found it on pcx2 forums. if anyone wants i can link. just cant atm.

zonemagorgo

Green Slime
I also tried using JoyToKey with my Ps2 controller. I have an usb device that detects Ps2 and N64 controllers and it works fine on every other game I have but this one. JTK detects the controller and I have assigned SoG pathing with the controller, but SoG doesn't recognize it. Probably going to buckle down and purchase an xbox controller since I use windows anyways, but saving myself 60 bucks would be nice.