playing on window mode, detect if not active window and pause

taltamir

Rabby
When I play on window mode, it would be great if grindea had a method to detect that it was not the active window and respond by auto pausing when that is the case. Every time I get a popup (not internet popup, but from another program I have running) which changes which window is considered active, I die or take damage (which can be pretty irking in late arcade).

Windows 10 only sends keyboard commands to the currently "active" window and not to programs whose windows are considered "inactive". Inactive windows do not receive commands, so aside from the fact I can't see all the screen, the fact it is no longer active means grindea is not recieving my button presses and I am helpless against the mobs.

I have seen many programs detect when they are no longer the active window and auto pause when that is the case, it would be great if grindea at least had that option. (doesn't have to be mandatory in case some other people have a reason to play differently than me)

taltamir

Rabby
Actually it does, but most programs just ignore it.
I see, well the request stands. While not ignoring keyboard commands when grindea window is inactive would slightly improve things, it would still be preferable to auto-pause the game.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I'm very much not a fan of when games do this. Plox let me afk and do other things, or I'll press Escape myself :D

I can see its use though, especially if the loss of focus caused by a pop-up causes you to lose an arcade run. If it's implemented, I'd defo prefer it being an option.

Frigid

Green Slime
Stuff like this being an option is always nice. Terraria has it this way, and it makes afk farms extremely nice. I can definitely see the use in having this, because people with multiple monitors can sometimes end up misclicking out of window a lot.
+1

taltamir

Rabby
I just died again... on a high floor I got a windows 10 popup saying "do you want to reboot now to finish installing windows updates", by the time I could refocus on the game I had already died.
I'm very much not a fan of when games do this. Plox let me afk and do other things, or I'll press Escape myself :D
Implementation in some games is indeed annoying, and I am aware that some people have different experiences than me. Such as perhaps some weird multi monitor setup or who knows what. I agree that it should be optional rather than mandatory.

Although I personally think arcade mode is not exactly the kind of game you would want to AFK on without pausing.

Last edited: