Plot discussion.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Never thought about the game having secrets in it as theese.
It's called "Secrets of Grindea"... What do you expect :p

Or she was a Fae that transformed into a human?
She's your mother. Unless you're adopted, the you'd be some sort of amazingly overpowered Fae-Human crossbreed than can fly and is a small-ish size. As much as I'd like to be half-Fae (and let's not think about the night of your conception) I doubt that's gonna happen.

And before you get me on the season change thing, that power was bestowed on you after defeating Autumn and Summer :p

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Season Temple is ancient place sacred to Fae. Charlotte didn't build it and the only thing she has to do with Fae is that she saved them from Frostling King. It was said by Fae elders that she was a human and the only human they respected (until they met her child).

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
It may well be, but don't take everything for granted :p (hehe, that's funny because my name's Grant :3) Back on topic, something that just hit me is that the current elders seem to have a very good memory of Charlotte. Either they've been studying very hard in their Elder-training to know who Charlotte is, or they were saved by Charlotte somewhat recently (I'd say anywhere in the region of 10-20 years, if we're talking Naniva, Summer and Autumn knowing of her too, going by a pure guess from their looks... although I don't know about Fae lifespan). Or, Fae live for a long time (which I wouldn't think would be the case, seen as they're quite small, even if they are magical).

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Going back to the pumpkin woods, I've done some analysis of the items you have to collect to lift this so-called "curse", even if it is the Flying Fortresses Protect spell. Here are the descriptions of the items:

1. Seed of Doubt: Was this really what you were looking for?
2. Last Straw: An extremely hard piece of straw! You can’t break it however you try.
3. Ghastly Veil: Touching this piece of cloth gives you a hollow sensation, like you’re disappearing!
4. Eternal Flame: A tiny piece of a very angry flame! How come your other stuff doesn’t burn up?
5. Root of Evil: A root with such bloodlust just looking at it sends chills down your spine.

1: Seed of Doubt

Ignoring the Pixel Ferrets' humor, this is dropped by a Jumpkin, the fast-moving and attack yet low health and easily stunned pumpkins. The seed part is obvious - it's a pumpkin, pumpkins have seeds. How doubt connects to this one I'm not sure, but what I am sure of is that someone will have some sort of idea, possibly to do with the "ancient magic" that brought them to life (quoted from the enemy codex description, I'll be doing that a lot).

2: Last Straw

Dropped by a Scarecrow. Described as being "extremely sturdy" and dropping a scarf that gives you extra defense, this straw seems to be connected to the scarecrows by their ability to take quite a beating. The "Last" part is, again, a little puzzling, maybe to do with the short straw? As in, bad luck?

3: Ghastly Veil

This is what we can assume as the sheet worn by or that is the main component of a Ghosty. The "hollow sensation, like you're disappearing" would reinforce that is more held up by something, either an invisible creature or magic, the latter seeming more appropriate.

4: Eternal Flame

I would assume this is kept inside a Lantern Jack's lantern, as no matter how long you keep one of the buggers alive, they always seem to be able to shoot at you. How come your other stuff doesn't burn up? It's not a hot flame, despite it's appearance being red which symbolises heat. This would also give us reason for why it doesn't set you on fire.

5: Root of Evil

The most powerful one of the five, it's dropped by a Halloweed, an evil mutation of a Bloomo. They're described as being "beautiful yet deadly", could be a reference to that part in the Bible where Satan, disguised as a woman, tries to seduce Jesus (don't quote me on that, I know my Bible as well as I know the lifespan of Faes). Although there's no seduction going on here. Also, they have an evil smell, as described on their petals, which would deter any passers-by. The root part - they're plants, plants have roots. Simply looking at a red root sends chills down your spine? Maybe then the root could mean a different thing...

Some final notes

A lot of the names have references to time - Seed and Root symbolising origin, Last showing the end and Eternal showing forever... seems a little odd if it's two dungeons later you discover time travel (yet to be added for anyone wondering) so maybe this has some sort of connection to that?

The first four are not enough to lift this "curse" by themselves, and need this "Root of Evil" to have enough power. This, combined with the "chills down your spine" and dropped by something which is an evil cousin of an angry flower, it could mean it is the origin of all evil... This could show the sheer power needed to lift the Flying Fortress' protection. And even though the bishop says the forest "cast this hex upon itself", why would he want to tell you? He doesn't tell you for what reason he wants to lift the curse, and he thinks you're just another ghost-in-the-making.

Finally, the altar is in a graveyard.

Something odd's going on here. I'm pretty sure something we haven't been told about yet.

Own

You know, all of my plot musings were based in potential foreshadowing set up by the game. The menu talking about human cards in the same room as Fahrmamera, Vilya offhandedly mentioning she was hired to mess you up, Aline's grave being in Pumpkin Woods.

There's a thin line between plot discussion and coming up with plot crackpot theories. Especially those based around puns. Biblical references, wtf? o_O

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Lighten up, Own! Crackpot theories are vital to culture. Without them, what would all the English classes around the world be about? :D

When all the analysis in this thread somehow nets us the Nobel Prize in Literature, we'll just raise our glasses in memory of Salinger and say "why yes, of course"!

Own

Sorry, I've just seen waaay too many theories online where people see abstract Biblical allusions in every form of media under the sun which causes threads to jump the rails. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EveryoneIsJesusInPurgatory It's one of the most painful theories for me, right after "It's all a dream / The main character is in a coma / The main character is dying after that time they got hurt bad and everything past that is wish fulfillment / Everything takes place inside of a snowglobe imaged by the mind of an autistic child (this one actually happened, google St. Elsewhere)". :p

I admit I could be completely wrong though and SoG could have much deeper philosophical / religious undertones than I could see. :D No offense intended.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The Biblical reference was something I just wanted to point out. The game so far as I see it has absolutely nothing to do with religion in any form, unlike something like Isaac. Deeper undertones? Not really, but hidden information? Whether we eventually get told about all of this or not, it's fun to discuss what it could mean. Almost like we're slowly coming up with a rather large episode of Game Theory :p

Going back to the pumpkin woods, I've done some analysis of the items you have to collect to lift this so-called "curse", even if it is the Flying Fortresses Protect spell. Here are the descriptions of the items:

1. Seed of Doubt: Was this really what you were looking for?
2. Last Straw: An extremely hard piece of straw! You can’t break it however you try.
3. Ghastly Veil: Touching this piece of cloth gives you a hollow sensation, like you’re disappearing!
4. Eternal Flame: A tiny piece of a very angry flame! How come your other stuff doesn’t burn up?
5. Root of Evil: A root with such bloodlust just looking at it sends chills down your spine.

Alright. I'll discuss my theories on them.
1: Seed of Doubt
Ignoring the Pixel Ferrets' humor, this is dropped by a Jumpkin, the fast-moving and attack yet low health and easily stunned pumpkins. The seed part is obvious - it's a pumpkin, pumpkins have seeds. How doubt connects to this one I'm not sure, but what I am sure of is that someone will have some sort of idea, possibly to do with the "ancient magic" that brought them to life (quoted from the enemy codex description, I'll be doing that a lot).

I feel like the seed of doubt is the most vague one out of them. I feel like these items really represent the characters emotions, and doubt can possibly question the players motives. Is killing enemies over and over again really the right thing? Is the collectors guild truly good? Are the artifacts TRULY evil?
2: Last Straw
Dropped by a Scarecrow. Described as being "extremely sturdy" and dropping a scarf that gives you extra defense, this straw seems to be connected to the scarecrows by their ability to take quite a beating. The "Last" part is, again, a little puzzling, maybe to do with the short straw? As in, bad luck?

The scarecrow's last straw is an interesting one. Last Straw in normal conversation may refer to doing the last thing to make somebody very angry. When somebody has done something multiple times, someone telling it is the "last straw" usually reffers to them being finished with the mischief a person has been up to. The last straw can possibly represent a breaking point of characters in the flying fortress, or in general. This may be the motive to creating GUN-DAM and Phaseman because of the mischief this villain has been up to.

3: Ghastly Veil
This is what we can assume as the sheet worn by or that is the main component of a Ghosty. The "hollow sensation, like you're disappearing" would reinforce that is more held up by something, either an invisible creature or magic, the latter seeming more appropriate.

The disappearing may represent the idea that many people died in this rampage of this villain talked about in the flying fortress. The only person who truly remembers or knows about the legacy lead by the people who created the flying fortress or the many people who have died searching for this "human card" is the adventurer. Everybody else has forgotten about it as nobody talks about it at all.

4: Eternal Flame
I would assume this is kept inside a Lantern Jack's lantern, as no matter how long you keep one of the buggers alive, they always seem to be able to shoot at you. How come your other stuff doesn't burn up? It's not a hot flame, despite it's appearance being red which symbolises heat. This would also give us reason for why it doesn't set you on fire.

This could represent the anger from the characters, like the last straw. The anger of the villagers has lead to the attempt to completely obliterate this villain out of existence. They created 2 rather powerful machines to destroy this villain because of all the lives he has ended because of his own greed.

5: Root of Evil
The most powerful one of the five, it's dropped by a Halloweed, an evil mutation of a Bloomo. They're described as being "beautiful yet deadly", could be a reference to that part in the Bible where Satan, disguised as a woman, tries to seduce Jesus (don't quote me on that, I know my Bible as well as I know the lifespan of Faes). Although there's no seduction going on here. Also, they have an evil smell, as described on their petals, which would deter any passers-by. The root part - they're plants, plants have roots. Simply looking at a red root sends chills down your spine? Maybe then the root could mean a different thing...

I don't think pixelferrets wanted to focus on religious themes in a videogame, because the game is supposed to be a fun game. The "root of evil" could represent the ones that cause all the problems in the world. Many believe the government to be the reason many disasters have happened like 9/11 and other things. This "root of evil" could represent the characters accusations towards this villain and why they want him destroyed.

Some final notes
A lot of the names have references to time - Seed and Root symbolising origin, Last showing the end and Eternal showing forever... seems a little odd if it's two dungeons later you discover time travel (yet to be added for anyone wondering) so maybe this has some sort of connection to that?

The first four are not enough to lift this "curse" by themselves, and need this "Root of Evil" to have enough power. This, combined with the "chills down your spine" and dropped by something which is an evil cousin of an angry flower, it could mean it is the origin of all evil... This could show the sheer power needed to lift the Flying Fortress' protection. And even though the bishop says the forest "cast this hex upon itself", why would he want to tell you? He doesn't tell you for what reason he wants to lift the curse, and he thinks you're just another ghost-in-the-making.

Finally, the altar is in a graveyard.

Something odd's going on here. I'm pretty sure something we haven't been told about yet.

This can strike many headlights for me. The root of evil is an evil version of the bloomo. This may represent that the most evil things are the people you are most similar to. Who causes most of the death in modern society and possibly since times beginning? Humans. The terrorist attacks, shootings, killings of innocent people and so many more reasons of death have all been caused by humans, our own race. This "root of evil" and the similarities between the Halloweed and the Bloomo can highly represent the true evil in this game is not the enemies you fight and kill, but actually the humans.

The altar in the graveyard, I don't know.

Really, I think this game can get into some REALLY REALLY deep stuff with their story. I don't believe these dungeons will be all the game will have to offer us.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I'm wasn't looking for real-life comparisons when I was doing my part, but hey. Also, with that evil comparison of the bloomo and the halloweed, as I described in my possible endings/final bosses, it could be a metaphor for yourself. The bishop talks about you having an unclear "larger beast" lurking beneath you, which could be similar to, yet the opposite of yourself; exactly what we see with these two. Furthermore we get the passive Bloomo Luigi is able to grow for the Arcade town, showing that they have a softer side. This is also the only enemy that will refuse to attack you (well, if you forget the chickens) when actively provoked. And from the elite Halloweed dropping this item which could be the origin of all evils, we have the other end of the scale: something that holds tremendous evil magical power, and may well have spawned the entire Pumpkin forest by itself.

The altar in the graveyard, I don't know.
What I was going for with that, is that it's a place where the dead are buried. Aline, whoever she was (still need to go and read up on the FF logs) and possibly even Farmahmera's victims. It could have something to do with the souls of the victims being used in the ritual.

What I'm starting to think now is... is Farmahmera you? I mean, not necessarily directly, but you could be a re-incarnation of or a descendant of him/her/it? You seem to wipe the floor with Marino and Vilya pretty happily. Or maybe Farmah is your opposite? For some reason, I think there has to be some sort of subconscious tie between you and it. Whether you're awakening it, you are it or you're trying to stop it, I doubt it'd be too far fetched to say this is possible...

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
What I'm starting to think now is... is Farmahmera you? I mean, not necessarily directly, but you could be a re-incarnation of or a descendant of him/her/it? You seem to wipe the floor with Marino and Vilya pretty happily. Or maybe Farmah is your opposite? For some reason, I think there has to be some sort of subconscious tie between you and it. Whether you're awakening it, you are it or you're trying to stop it, I doubt it'd be too far fetched to say this is possible...
I already wrote this theory. It was suggested by Phaseman.
But Phaseman says also: "ALLEGIENCE: Farmahmera". This could suggest that either Bag was in possesion of Fahrmamera or hero is his descendant.

Own

You know, if my Chekov's Gun reading that Farmahmera is someone / something trying to farm a Human Card is correct, it's possible that the various artifacts around the world exist to try and create 'Elite' humans. If artifacts are sworn to Farmahmera, I mean.

I imagine your dad was the first candidate to become one if this scenario holds true, up until he lost an arm. Though I'm not sure if this theory implies that Bag is attempting to train up an Elite human or not. He appears to have no motivation beyond 'gathering loot', and offers no actual powers beyond limitless inventory space. Or maybe his motivation to acquire loot is to drive you to train up against other artifacts? I'm not sure.

I could honestly just be mixing game mechanics with plot, but so far the story and mechanics are heavily intertwined. Getting a card is a major plot event and something Luke is looking for. Elite enemies need to die in order to use their power to destroy a curse. If it weren't for that, I'd just assume this is like every other RPG and "Oh, I get cards and there are Elite enemies because this is an RPG and these things are expected".

It's sadly rare to see games where developers try to intertwine the mechanics of the game with it's world.

It's sadly rare to see games where developers try to intertwine the mechanics of the game with it's world.

This. Many games are just "this happens because it does" for no real explaination or reasoning, and I think game developers need to stop that and do more to explain their mechanics. Who created these cards, and why do they have so much power?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I think it adds an element of immersion and appreciation to something that is otherwise left explained in unsatisfactory detail. One thing I learned from going to an open day is that you should always have five reasons for things. This teacher said what he does with his students is, when they're discussing a topic in class, he'll ask "Why?" five times. EG: We need to be punctual to school. Why? Because if we're late, there are consequences. Why? Because it detracts from our learning. Why? Because it's bad to be late for anything. Why? Because it looks bad on you as a student. Why? Cheesecake... You get the idea

Jyeli

Green Slime
I imagine your dad was the first candidate to become one if this scenario holds true, up until he lost an arm. Though I'm not sure if this theory implies that Bag is attempting to train up an Elite human or not. He appears to have no motivation beyond 'gathering loot', and offers no actual powers beyond limitless inventory space. Or maybe his motivation to acquire loot is to drive you to train up against other artifacts? I'm not sure.
Perhaps he's driving you to collect the other artifacts so that when you have them all you will become this elite human.
Or maybe he's just a greedy bastard on account of being a sentient bag with infinite storage.

Own

What's got no thumbs and is getting increasingly suspicious by the plot advancement?

THIS GUY

upload_2016-12-17_7-58-23.png

upload_2016-12-17_7-56-17.png

It even has the important bolding / change of color for key phrases thing that most RPGs have. I'm not crazy! They're in league with one another! Bag doesn't want to bring Mom back, he wants Zhamla! Or he wants to do to you what he did to Zhamla with the collection-obsession.

Don't believe his lies! :mad: