Potions give far too little pet experience per feed for their price

HexZyle

Boar
150 coins for +3 experience. That's a pretty bad ratio. That's 50 coins per apple/carrot/pumpkin flesh
If it's intended to be a money sink for people with a lot of dough, I can see that, but...
To level up from pet level 5 to pet level 6 takes 500 experience. Using potions that's 25,000 coins.

+10 experience feels a lot more reasonable per potion, and failing that, +5. Throw us a bone. Or make us grind for the bone, whatever.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
1. Potions are not for pets
2. Potions were cheaper once and this is already the rebalance, because pets are way too overpowered otherwise

HexZyle

Boar
1. Potions are not for pets
2. Potions were cheaper once and this is already the rebalance, because pets are way too overpowered otherwise

If they're not for pets, then why doesn't it say so on the bottle? And to think I already fed mine one
I'm filing a lawsuit if my pet suffers any adverse side effects.

Own

You grind mobs. You sell their loot. You get potions. You get stronger. You grind mobs quicker, loot/potions/stronger quicker. You get stronger. Repeat

It's a fair price considering the infinite feedback loop. :) I think they want you to fish instead, but since fishing isn't faster than grinding mobs...

HexZyle

Boar
You grind mobs. You sell their loot. You get potions. You get stronger. You grind mobs quicker, loot/potions/stronger quicker. You get stronger. Repeat

It's a fair price considering the infinite feedback loop.

Potions don't make you permanently stronger, I don't see how this is an infinite feedback loop.

I wasn't complaining about the price. I was complaining about the price to experience ratio. I was thinking that if you're going to allow them to be fed to pets, why make it almost completely worthless to do so? No monsters drop potions, so the only potions you are going to have are ones that you bought with your own money.

:) I think they want you to fish instead, but since fishing isn't faster than grinding mobs...

It isn't?

EDIT: Just tested. In two minutes I:
  • received 68 apples and 26 carrots (94 total xp) from the first area
  • caught 7 fish (155 total xp) in Seasonne
  • caught 8 fish (102 total xp) in the haunted woods
  • caught 7 fish (75 total xp) in the fields east of town
  • caught 6 fish (44 total xp) up on pillar mountain

Last edited:

Own

Potions don't make you permanently stronger, I don't see how this is an infinite feedback loop.

Yes they do. You're using them specifically for permanently boosting your stats via pets.

In two minutes I earned 68 apples and 26 carrots (94 total xp) from the first area
In two minutes I caught 7 fish (155 total xp) from Seasonne

And the person grinding Seasonne / Season Temple mobs for gold and item drops to sell for money is getting much more gold to buy potions with than either of those.

HexZyle

Boar
And the person grinding Seasonne / Season Temple mobs for gold and item drops to sell for money is getting much more gold to buy potions with than either of those.

How much gold can you earn per minute? You would need to earn 2250 gold or more to be on par with current grinding methods in terms of pet experience. (2250 gold = 15 potions = 45xp/min, or 90xp/2min)

If potions were buffed to +5 experience, that'd still require you to earn 1350 gold per minute in order to be on par.

Season Temple knights drop roughly 35 gold each (plus the odd season shard, or fragment, both worth 90 coins). That would mean you would need to kill a bit under 38 season knights per minute (one every two seconds) to aquire 1350 gold, although you could reduce it a bit more by wearing the frostling armor.
I don't see how you're still going to get anywhere near that amount, unless you're farming some magical coin-vomiting enemies I haven't encountered yet? :?

Last edited:
Tested it a few minutes ago :D with a level 17 character you can earn easily without any sold items 2500 gold with a summoner build with your sold items over 3k per minute without any problem but the only problem is the crit perk no potions for that one :D so you have to fish a lot of Yetish ^^ if you like to fish @HexZyle i would totally trade with ya :D need a lot of Yetish so... :)

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I think they are farming the blue slimes and Yetis that you find south of the phaseplate in the first snow area. :p

The exp that potions give is reasonable for their price if you ask me. Fishing still has a random chance to find the right fish you need in order to level up the stat you want while buying potions lets you pick which one you want.

HexZyle

Boar
Blue slimes drop 30 coins, yetis drop 50. Do blue slimes and yetis have such a miserable amount of health on Normal that it's possible to kill 50-83 of them in a minute? (On Hard, Blue slimes have about 800 hp, elite blue slimes upwards of 2.5k, yetis have 4k hp)

Yetis seem too tanky to even bother farming.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
It's gold plus item drops you can sell. And on Level 23+ it's pretty easy.
And it just gets faster the higher you level your pet.

HexZyle

Boar
It's gold plus item drops you can sell. And on Level 23+ it's pretty easy.
And it just gets faster the higher you level your pet.

If I or my pet were level 23, there'd be nothing I would need to grind for anymore as you're overlevelled for all the game's current content AFAIK

So basically, the people who can easily obtain potions are the ones that don't actually need them? It'd probably be a good idea to just remove the ability to feed them to pets alltogether because if what you say is true, as more higher level content is added, 150 coins is going to turn out too cheap.

This would have the added benefit of actually making fishing viable I guess.

Last edited:

A-Jay

Green Slime
I found it easy to just stand on the right hand side of the fence at the house above Santa and let frosty/cloud kill the frostlings and collect after a while.