Reducing slow down.

Kaiszer

Green Slime
Hi.

I would like to suggest a couple things for reducing 'slow down' in gameplay, please.

I'm getting slow down in two cases:

1 - For some reason, when I upgrade my skills to Silver and/or Gold, charging them will make the game speed drop about 20 FPS(no slow down happens with Bronze). So, is there any way to optimize such animations? I believe it's due the particles around the character while charging, but it's absurd to think such trivial animation will slow down the game like that(really, the only difference from Bronze Charge is that particles will sparkles gold instead of blue).

2 - I'm having some kind of frame skipping/flickering issue on Pumpkin Woods(the game flick by every 2 or 3 seconds), making impossible to grind enemies. But here's another oddity, I get those only when I'm playing the game as "NO" fullscreen or "WINDOWED" fullscreen. There's no flickering while playing as FULLSCREEN but the problem is that I can't play the game as fullscreen due my monitor not being wide screen(it's kinda big but 4:3). So, if I play the game as fullscreen, the sideways of the game will shrink, instead of maintaining the height proportions with black borders(it's height will touch the monitor from inside, instead of maintaining it's aspect along with the width size). This is the first time I witness something like this(other games will always keep the aspect radio using black borders in the screen heights), and I get this precisely in this game, which I truly loved :( Maybe in future releases this will be fixed, or will even be possible to disable the glow effects from the Woods or similar places? EDIT: Funny thing, that I experience flickering even when I'm inside a house. It seems that as long I'm inside Pumpkin Woods area, I'm getting this.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Last edited:

Kaiszer

Green Slime
UPDATE: I just found out the reason for the slow down when I upgrade my skill to Silver/Gold. When you're using the Silver charge, a thin aura surround the character, which causes me slow down. I figured it out as I just got the Protect skill, which surrounds the character with the same aura, giving me the same slow down. It doesn't make any sense to me at all, since even Pumpkin Woods, which has lots of lantern lights(that has the same pattern of lightning), doesn't give me that slow down(I experience flickering on Pumpkin Woods, but it's not the same as slow down, the game just "skip" frames every 2~3 seconds, but game runs fluidly within these intervals). I would love to see some option to disable this, if there's no chance of optimizing these effects in the future...

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Super strange! What specs do your computer have? Also, what operating system are you running? If you're running Win7, you could try disabling Aero and see if that helps.

As for the full screen on non-HD monitors, I intend to add an option to have it add those black borders you mention!

Are your graphics drivers up to date?

Kaiszer

Green Slime
Super strange! What specs do your computer have? Also, what operating system are you running? If you're running Win7, you could try disabling Aero and see if that helps.

As for the full screen on non-HD monitors, I intend to add an option to have it add those black borders you mention!

Hello, I'm sorry for the delay, I've been struggling with the Shawl item from Lantern Jack, 10 hours of killing and nothing >_< ...

I'm running it on Win XP. Another odd fact, is that even Shadow Clone skill doesn't cause me any slow down(it's visual effect is similar to that thin aura around the character, but it should slow down even more, as it summon 2 shadows to follow the character). I really can't figure it out.

Oh, the specs: Dual Core 2.5 ghz E3300, 4 GB RAM. I've tried running with two different VGAs so I think it isn't related. As for the Pumpkin Woods flickering I had, it's gone after I've "cleansed" the Woods by accomplishing that "Ghost Hunt" quest. I think that some visual effect has been disabled after I've done it(I couldn't actually see any visual difference, though). But again, those flickerings only happens when Windowed or 'NO' fullscreen. I get some flickering on Seasonne and Temple of Seasons as well... slow downs from Silver/Gold Charge and Protect visual effects continues no matter I do(fullscreen or not, it doesn't matter).

Last edited:

Kaiszer

Green Slime

Width still shrink at fullscreen mode in 0.602a :(

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
With the latest patch you should be able to make FullScreen stretch the way you want to! I think!

Use /blackborders to get black borders on each side (to maintain pixel size)

Use /stretchtowidth to make the game adjust its size according to the available width, but not the height

Kaiszer

Green Slime
With the latest patch you should be able to make FullScreen stretch the way you want to! I think!

Use /blackborders to get black borders on each side (to maintain pixel size)

Use /stretchtowidth to make the game adjust its size according to the available width, but not the height

Hi :)

It worked fine :D the graphics looks kinda pixelated, but I think it'll do until I get another monitor. At least I won't be having too much lag this way(though the aura thingy still slows me) and full screen won't be screwed up.

First I'm working on some hardware, as I'm still unable to continue from the festival part(as I've mentioned here: LINK).

Thank you very much ^_^

Regards.