Secrets of Grindea speedruns

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Those bullets iirc depending on your defense do roughly 75+ damage a pop. There's also to hit stun animation you suffer when getting hit. It's better to avoid the bullets as best as you can.
You don't get the stun animation if you use Piercing Dash through them. :p I use the same damage boost trick when I fight Marino so I can keep hitting him with minimal movement.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
You don't get the stun animation if you use Piercing Dash through them.
I spose if you don't do the animation then it won't move you either... neat.

As a side note, I would die for a card which cancels your "taking damage" animation. When I'm brute forcing a bunch of enemies it really gets in my way.

Own

@JamesKT Looks like if you'd sold enough stuff for 7-8 Damage Potions you would've had sub-40 for sure. No DMG Pots for Black Ferrets really hurt. Ideally you need 1 for Marino, 1-2 for Toy Machine, 1 for Fae, 1 for Hydra, 1 for Winter, 1-2 for Bee, 1 for Black Ferrets. 7 min, 9 max.

JamesKT

Boar
@JamesKT Looks like if you'd sold enough stuff for 7-8 Damage Potions you would've had sub-40 for sure. No DMG Pots for Black Ferrets really hurt. Ideally you need 1 for Marino, 1-2 for Toy Machine, 1 for Fae, 1 for Hydra, 1 for Winter, 1-2 for Bee, 1 for Black Ferrets. 7 min, 9 max.
?? I'm very sure I used a Damage Pot for Black Ferrets... Also I bought all that I could get my hands on at the time was a grand total of 7(3 from Chest, 4 from Shop w/ the remaining 600 gold). Pots were used on Sentry/Gun-D4m, Marino, Toy Machine, Fae, Hydra, Winter, Black Ferrets. If I had 750 after selling what I sold, Queen Bee would've gotten a taste of a Potion as well.

My latest run will be uploaded later today after I'm done streaming for the next 8-12 hours. For those wondering, record is now 40:02... F#*% QUEEN BEE!

EDIT:

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Is there not a couple other chests you can pick up for stuff to sell? You've got the adventure shirt and the flying fortress painting, although that's probably a little off path.

GarlicJelly

Is there not a couple other chests you can pick up for stuff to sell? You've got the adventure shirt and the flying fortress painting, although that's probably a little off path.
I think he's skipping the 100 coin chest before the first Ferret fight and he could pick up the 6th treasure map from the dwarf and dig up another 250 in the park. That's like 300 right there. :p Selling the Strawboater and you're only missing 50 I think. :p

JamesKT

Boar
Has anyone has tried timing themselves doing the Log Push Puzzle in Temple of Seasons? I'm curious which method is faster for the purpose of speedrunning. I'm always doing things in one way but I'm always curious to see if there IS a faster way than how I do it. I know Owned mentions another way to do said puzzle but honestly, I need to sse that in video form. :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
There's quite a few ways of doing it. I've seen that the way you do it you swap the end two or three blocks around - that isn't necessary. It doesn't matter what order they go in. It'd probably also be more accurate to calculate the time it takes to get across it as well, as the more dash-friendly it is, the faster it can be achieved :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Wait what, that sound effect o_O *poof noise* Obviously a consequence of two things triggering on the same frame. Great find, whoever found it, I'm sure there's at least another one or two of these somewhere.

JamesKT

Boar
Actually I thought of it and figured it might work. I tested it last night and it did work. This was a direct rip from the stream since I wasn't recording at the time. It should be noted that if this skip fails, you have to FIGHT PHASEMAN AGAIN... It's not safe but can prove to be a useful skip when done correctly as shown.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Nice one! It seems a little too risky to execute in a speedrun though, seen as it takes a short while to set up perfectly and there's a setback if you get it wrong.

JamesKT

Boar
I plan on practicing this in real time rather than doing an analytical practice(as I did in the video) of it so I can identify how it should look like. I plan on making this consistent to avoid animation & the long dialog box. :3 But other news... I got that Pre-40! 39:35! No Jumpkin Card BUT I did get a Knight of Seasons Card.

GarlicJelly

So I heard you guys like Skips...

That skip is just icing on the cake. We just found out that you don't need to jump over to the second computer and now we don't even need to watch the phase ability animation... Progress is being made. :D

GarlicJelly

I plan on practicing this in real time rather than doing an analytical practice(as I did in the video) of it so I can identify how it should look like. I plan on making this consistent to avoid animation & the long dialog box. :3 But other news... I got that Pre-40! 39:35! No Jumpkin Card BUT I did get a Knight of Seasons Card.
I see that you did the damage boost I mentioned. Well done on the run. Now we just need to find a way to 1 cycle GUN-D4M. :D
Also... You waste time the further away from the spot your character has to walk to after you beat GUN-D4M. You might wanna move closer to minimize the walking. :p

JamesKT

Boar
I see that you did the damage boost I mentioned. Well done on the run. Now we just need to find a way to 1 cycle GUN-D4M. :D
I might have ignored it because I don't recall the damage boost you mentioned. ^.^;;; Also there's a way to 1 cycle Gun-D4m. It's called Jumpkin Card. :p

GarlicJelly

I might have ignored it because I don't recall the damage boost you mentioned. ^.^;;; Also there's a way to 1 cycle Gun-D4m. It's called Jumpkin Card. :p
Before the Sentry you did the damage boost. You even talk about it a little. :p
I want a consistent way to 1 cycle him. To ignore the RNG would be amazing. Maybe if you route in catching a pet and feeding it to increase your attackspeed or something. XD
BTW What happened at the hydra? The heads shouldn't spawn until you've walked over to the other side and triggered a cutscene. :O (Around 26min into the video)

JamesKT

Boar
Before the Sentry you did the damage boost. You even talk about it a little. :p
Will say I haven't slept and it's 5:30AM here. I'm scatterbrained for the most part atm. :p Insomnia sucks.

I want a consistent way to 1 cycle him. To ignore the RNG would be amazing. Maybe if you route in catching a pet and feeding it to increase your attackspeed or something. XD
Routing in a Pet will take up too much time. Even if it is just a Rabby. It would be an extra step that won't result in much at this time. Maybe if new content was out that was up to the third or forth major boss of the game, it could be a time save. For now though, it's not. Also regarding ignoring the RNG, these things can't be avoided. Everything is RNG. Especially Crits. xD

BTW What happened at the hydra? The heads shouldn't spawn until you've walked over to the other side and triggered a cutscene. :O (Around 26min into the video)
I'm playing on Multi-Player which allows the game to continue even while in menus. Also it triggers the beginning of the Hydra Fight as soon as you jump off after changing it to Summer.

GarlicJelly

I'm playing on Multi-Player which allows the game to continue even while in menus. Also it triggers the beginning of the Hydra Fight as soon as you jump off after changing it to Summer.
So that's one of the benefits of running on Multiplayer? Huh.. Didn't know that. :D