Secrets of Grindea speedruns

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I don't have time to check it right now, but it's possible that you need to destroy only the last one beehive (or one of last ones) to trigger Queen Bee fight. I discovered it when I used teleport plate to get there.

btw, isn't skipping the second computer considered a glitch?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I don't have time to check it right now, but it's possible that you need to destroy only the last one beehive (or one of last ones) to trigger Queen Bee fight. I discovered it when I used teleport plate to get there.

I wouldn't think so. We don't do anything to the game to cause that. I'm pretty sure the code tells the game to open the door to GUN-D4M when you press the last computer so the second computer is just for looks and isn't required at all.

Doesn't that not matter too much, seen as he skips the cutscene anyway?
I don't think you can skip the walking animation and if you can then he wasted another second or two by just watching the walking in his new PB. :p

Own

When I learned that the Queen Bee fight is intentionally stretched out from his speedruns I groooaned. It's such an uninteresting, non-interactive, tedious fight and she gets up after you deal a % of her HP, so your DPS doesn't even matter. It's designed to be stretched out as long as possible.

It's honestly the only unfun part of the game. Especially because there's no danger involved in it at all. You have the entire of Pillar Mountains to walk around, she doesn't regenerate HP. If you get low, all you need to do is ditch her long enough to kill some slimes and rabbys to heal up. If you just put your back to the cliff with a decent shield it's almost impossible to actually take damage, at that.

90% of the fight is spent watching her and thinking, "Dive. Just dive. PLEASE DIVE."

Not looking forward to that fight whenever it comes to Arcade. It seems like there's so many ways it could be improved, too.

1. Permanently tether to you / one player, like the ghost boss battle I suggested. No matter where you go, she's at the same distance away from you circling around you. There is no escape, no hiding against a cliff. This would, at the very least, ensure you didn't constantly un-align from her and watch her fly by your shield to restart the "PLEASE DIVE" process.

2. Perfect block vs stingers causes immediate drop.

3. Stunning her while in honey removes the HP %-based get-back-up code? I don't know. :(

JamesKT

Boar
When I learned that the Queen Bee fight is intentionally stretched out from his speedruns I groooaned. It's such an uninteresting, non-interactive, tedious fight and she gets up after you deal a % of her HP, so your DPS doesn't even matter. It's designed to be stretched out as long as possible.
I'm cringing so hard right now... Oh, well. If anyone was going to have an extremely annoying fight somewhere in the run, I guess Queen Bee is that fight. :/

I've checked this before and only the second last beehive will trigger the spawn of Queen Bee. Also due to coding, skipping the second computer you activate isn't a glitch. If it was coded to require all 3 computers to progress to GUN-D4M, then I would have to reroute that computer back in and ignore my new animation skip.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Also due to coding, skipping the second computer you activate isn't a glitch.
I think that it's coded this way, because someone didn't predict that you could just teleport out and skip it... For me it looks like originally you were supposed to activate them all.
Anyone actually reported it outside this topic? :p

JamesKT

Boar
Weren't you the one who pointed it out to me? Or was it another speedrunner?
My memory is kinda bad on certain things so... It could've been me. It could've been someone else. I can't say for sure. :/

I think that it's coded this way, because someone didn't predict that you could just teleport out and skip it... For me it looks like originally you were supposed to activate them all.
Anyone actually reported it outside this topic? :p
I don't think anyone has reported it. I would imagine the devs check out this thread and might fix it in a future patch. Who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I don't think anyone has reported it. I would imagine the devs check out this thread and might fix it in a future patch. Who knows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you're a dev you should always follow the speedrunners progress to see if they have found some insane bugs/glitches. Just in case I'll make a post about it. :)

Last edited:

JamesKT

Boar
Nice one! It seems a little too risky to execute in a speedrun though, seen as it takes a short while to set up perfectly and there's a setback if you get it wrong.
Going back on this, I've been able to quickly set up and execute the skip. Setup takes me 2-3 seconds. I've decided to focus on the shield gauge above the character to judge if it's ideal or not. What was unsafe has been made safe. :p

Own

I discovered something that might help you.

Plants are desummoned when cutscenes trigger. Portals do not. You can summon a portal in the middle of the Winter fight, can't you? I think it's only after you beat him that portals stop working. No need to save and quit or dash down anymore. :)

The real question is whether or not putting a portal anywhere strategic (where you might walk into them during a cutscene) can do anything fun.

JamesKT

Boar
I'm pretty sure I can spawn a portal fast enough before his death animation kicks in. Useful time save and I'm surprised I didn't think of it sooner.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Queen Bee SUUUUCKS!

We agree, at least especially when considering she'll be fought more than once, and with time involved (Arcade/Speedrunning)!

I think we actually discussed the ability to perfect guard the stingers a while back, and decided that it would be a cool thing to be able to do, although it requires a little extra animation (where she falls to the ground from high up). Unless we just make her take pure damage from them, of course - then it requires no new animations!

I like the collisionless tether idea. She could tether to one player for the duration of an attack cycle and then switch targets (if applicable). The fight gets some pretty wonky moments when she can't quite get to a good angle of attack, and getting rid of that would be nice.

I can't say when she'll be patched, but I can pretty much guarantee she won't be turned into an Arcade Mode encounter without some changes. I might toss in some bandaid change for her before that, too (such as an even greater knockdown duration bonus when perfect guarding her dive).

Last edited:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
(such as an even greater knockdown duration bonus when perfect guarding her dive).
There isn't one of those already?! I guess I can just sit there with my shield up then, waiting for a dive.

As a side note, she dives so fast I'm surprised she doesn't get stuck in your shield :/

JamesKT

Boar
Now I highly doubt I can get a better time than this unless new strats are found or RNG gives me a better hand than this. 38:40? Yes please! :D The new strat I found for the animation skip & Owned's obvious Winter Portal helped make this time possible. :)

There is! My sentence was a bit hard too read, I admit :D

The change would increase the knockdown duration bonus, which already exists!
I wouldn't say it was hard to read. It's implied that there was a Knockdown Bonus to begin with. :p

Last edited: