Shielding

Saiffer

Green Slime
Hi! I would like to start by saying that I'm really enjoying the game and really looking forward to seeing more of it!

There is one thing that stood out to more than anything and that's the shielding. In my opinion, the shielding is rather... clumsy? What I mean is that I often (90% percent of the time) end up shielding in the wrong direction. At least the way that I play. The way that I go about it is that I run around attempting to avoid being hit and panicking to shield at the last second when avoiding is impossible (therefore I often end up shielding in the wrong direction and end up being hit anyway) . I play this way because I find it mostly counter productive to face the monster, put your shield up and wait to be attacked. The shielding is built to be put up at the last second anyway with "perfect blocking" .

For this reason I believe an alternative solution would be useful for when the shield is used. Rather than being locked in a direction when holding the shield up, instead lock your movement and be able to shield in the direction you wish while holding up your shield. Or have an option in the menu to chosse between the two methods depending on individual preferance.

I don't see why you would need to move while shielding. Moving while shielding would mean you are trying to avoid being hit but why avoid when you are already shielding? Do one or the other in my opinion, not both at the same time.

Aurophobia

Halloweed
I don't mind how it is currently, but you make a good point. I don't think there's every been a situation where I really wanted to guard and move at the same time. But whatever they decide, I'm sure it'll keep my interest.

Eriktion

Green Slime
right now i like that we can block+ move backwards
blocking +move backwards is usefull against giga slime spin attack

but this idea sounds nice as well

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I like this because I myself keep getting hit in the back because I have to wait some time to get my character turned around before I can block the attack. Most of the time I don't use the shield and when I do it's just 1v1 situations where I'm facing the enemies direction anyways. Locking the movement and let the player chose direction for the blocking would be so much better (for me at least) since I can then block bees from both directions. :3 I'm not demanding a change because I've found a way to work around this "problem" but I feel like the shiled needs some more love comming from my way. <3

ark626

For me there are situations in which i needed to block forward and walk backwars
Infuriated Gigaslimes Spinning for example.
I block it not every time in perfekt guard and for shield duration reasons i walk backwards as i block his incoming dash more than once.

Sogomn

Rabby
In my opinion, the perfect guarding is a bit too 'underpowered'. It is not really worth it to try the perfect guarding since there's always the chance of taking damage. I know, it reduces the sheld damage and the next attack is going to crit but some enemies (e.g. the jumpkins or boars) are really hard to block and the profit is not that high.

Eriktion

Green Slime
i think the perfect guard reward is extremly good

cause the next spell after PG will instantly start at the highest possible charge level
melting bosses like no tomorrow

Sogomn

Rabby
Yeh but there is a little hitch when trying to cast a spell after blocking. You have to wait like half a second before youre able to cast a spell which makes it really difficult to use the guard bonus for casting a spell.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I like this because I myself keep getting hit in the back because I have to wait some time to get my character turned around before I can block the attack. Most of the time I don't use the shield and when I do it's just 1v1 situations where I'm facing the enemies direction anyways. Locking the movement and let the player chose direction for the blocking would be so much better (for me at least) since I can then block bees from both directions. :3 I'm not demanding a change because I've found a way to work around this "problem" but I feel like the shiled needs some more love comming from my way. <3

If you press the new direction and then repress the shield button, you'll actually turn around right away!

Since it's possible to switch directions instantly and walk around as it is now, I think it's unlikely we'll change it. Problem is that most people don't know how to do the quick turn (or the finer points of shielding in general), so what we will do is add a little piece of extra story where Master Ji will teach you some little tricks with the shield! These will include quick turn and perfect guard since these features are a bit obscure right now.

GarlicJelly

Master JI :D I think he should be a Turtle
He's in the Dojo in Evergrind City. :D
If you press the new direction and then repress the shield button, you'll actually turn around right away!

Since it's possible to switch directions instantly and walk around as it is now, I think it's unlikely we'll change it. Problem is that most people don't know how to do the quick turn (or the finer points of shielding in general), so what we will do is add a little piece of extra story where Master Ji will teach you some little tricks with the shield! These will include quick turn and perfect guard since these features are a bit obscure right now.
I don't feel like it's instant as I press a new direction and press Shield very close together and I still never turn around. I guess it could be my keyboard that's not very good at responding to my "awesome fast" fingers. I believe you that it is instant but I myself can't make that happen. :( As always I'm really bad at the cool stuff. :(

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I don't feel like it's instant as I press a new direction and press Shield very close together and I still never turn around.

You must hold down the new direction button as you press the shield button again! If this doesn't work for you, then perhaps it really is a keyboard issue :(

GarlicJelly

Problem found! When you press attack you can't turn around so I've been trying to turn around before the swing animation is finished so the problem wasn't the shield. It was me the whole time. :3 (Just as I suspected...)

Saiffer

Green Slime
I've been experimenting with what Teddy had said about quik turning while shielding and it does, for the most part, solve my issues. I do still have problems but it's more a question of getting used to it. Also what i think would help (for me anyway) is being able to remap the shield and attack actions. Thanks to darksouls, my fingers like pressing the shoulder buttons on the Xbox controller for those.

GarlicJelly

I've been experimenting with what Teddy had said about quik turning while shielding and it does, for the most part, solve my issues. I do still have problems but it's more a question of getting used to it. Also what i think would help (for me anyway) is being able to remap the shield and attack actions. Thanks to darksouls, my fingers like pressing the shoulder buttons on the Xbox controller for those.
I don't use a controller but I think you should be able to remap the buttons for your controller, we can do that on the keyboard so i guess it should work for controllers too. If not then maybe using joytokey or some other stand alone program for controllers so that you can change things around would fix your problem. :D

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It's been on the back burner for a while since unlike keyboards the gamepad controls can't be broken due to language layouts, but I'm likely going to add gamepad rebind at some point!

Rajunah

Green Slime
I don't like the idea of shielding with 2h weapons...its very strange for me....maybe, just maybe, could be better if the instead of using the shield with 2h, the player actually uses the weapon for defense...Blocking with the weapon when 2H....but never better then the shield.