Slight Barrier Tweak

I think barrier has very good functionality right now. You can defend against damage, but it breaks within 5 hits. And the damage is counted in arcade. Beyond this, it seems like you have less iframes (if any). This is also fair since barrier is completely protecting your HP. However, there are some things that I believe need to be fixed with barrier...

Suggestion 1: Provide iframes upon barrier-break
One thing is extremely bothersome and counterintuitive: Currently, the player flinches after the barrier breaks but does not gain invincibility frames when it breaks. Players should get iframes upon barrier breaking. Since barrier guards your HP, I think it makes sense for barrier not to really have iframes while it's blocking damage. But completely removing iframes once barrier breaks is unfair. In many cases, this causes the player to take more damage because the flinch+lack-of-iframes sets the player up for a second attack. Oftentimes this second attack hits harder. Barrier is supposed to spare your physical HP; however, with the way barrier is now, the last block is not protection in many cases. Once the barrier breaks and the player flinches, the player should get some brief iframes so that barrier actually does its job. I think this even more of a problem in arcade because you lose your potion and you lose more points once barrier breaks. That's a bit too punishing...not to mention that barrier generally won't stand more than 1 hit if you're on floors 1-4.

Suggestion 2: Make barrier suffer from instant-shield-break attacks
What puzzles me is the fact that a shield can immediately be broken by certain attacks. And yet, barrier can guard against certain shield-breaking attacks 2-3+ times. The riskier option -- shielding -- gets punished. But the much safer and more maneuverable options -- using barrier -- doesn't get punished. In fact, it gets rewarded! It's totally OP. Any attack that causes a shield to break should also cause a barrier to break. Note that this is specifically if the attack hits the barrier. So if a boar charges into a player with barrier, the barrier should break. However, if the boar charges into a shielding player with barrier, the shield should absorb the damage as usual, and the barrier should not break. Enemies like Priestess are different since the attack is not 100% absorbed by the shield. For enemies like Priestess, the attack would break a shield, push the player back, and likely travel to hit the player again, this time breaking the barrier.

Suggestion 3: Provide an indicator of the barrier's lifespan
The cool thing about shield HP is that you get a clear idea of how close your shield is to breaking. But that isn't really the case with barrier. No one is actually multiplying their HP by a fraction to keep track of how much longer barrier will last. There's just too much chaos on the battlefield for that. An indicator of the barrier's lifespan should be put up to help players think think through their decisions better. A barrier HP bar could be shown to reveal how much more damage can be taken. Additionally, it seems that the barrier can tank anywhere between 1-5 hits at random. If the number of hits, from 1 to 5, before the barrier breaks is random, then a counter should appear to show the player how many more hits they can take before barrier breaks. I'd like it if both parts of this suggestion were implemented. But if that isn't possible, the counter is to be preferred. A lot of options and decision-making gets stripped from players when you hide the random number of hits they can take before barrier breaks.

Suggestion 4: Don't let mushroom spores break barrier
The suggestion title is self-explanatory. It doesn't make sense that spores -- which do no damage -- can break barrier. Please fix. :)

Edit:
I actually realized another 2 things today.

1) Perfect Barrier-ing needs to be properly implemented
Looking at the description, it seems like a perfect barrier is supposed to act like a perfect guard. This makes sense to me because perfect barrier-ing seems more risky than Pguarding. However...P-barrier-ing doesn't work in the game. You hear the "perfect" sound but you still take regular damage, and you get no special effects. Fixes? Por favor?

2) Sometimes casting barrier wastes EP without casting barrier
Don't know what causes this...but it happens. If that could be removed, that would be awesome.

Last edited: