Speedrunning Tactics for Story Mode [Contains spoilers]

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
The following is a list of tricks that I use when I rush my way through the Story Mode (up untill now that's only been on Normal Mode). I would like people to share their knowledge of the game here regarding speedrunning on both Normal and Hard.

Picking up the first gold chest at the bottom of the mountain right before the bridge and battle against the bandits is the most important thing to me when I speedrun. With that gold I am then able to buy the treasure map #6 that is the gold bad hidden by the bench in the city. With that I am able to buy my two DMG rings that improves my run time quite a bit because I am able to kill things quicker. For Hard Mode I find it quite impossible to progress quickly without the Iron Sheild. Since I just recently started with Hard Mode Speedruns (I'm not very good at speedrunning because I don't practice but I feel like my pace is in the right way at least) I haven't figured out the best way to get the gold needed to buy my equipment in the most efficient way.

These are my GUN-D4M tips for Hard Story Mode Speedruns: So, I just recently fired up the game to play it after having a break for 3-5 weeks and I discovered that you can tank your way through the bullet hell by getting hit by the white/yellow arrows that are supposed to stop you from blocking everything in the bullet hell. All you have to do is make sure you just get hit by the yellow/white arrows that home in on your location, so basically you hardly have to move at all. The white/yellow arrows do 10-12 damage on my level 14 character (this was just a character I leveled up during my EXP guide so the level and gear isn't matching my speedrunning characters quite well but I do believe that this is a strategy that could work) with the phaseman boots and helmet, the brawler bot armor and I use two dmg rings so no more defence there and I don't even lose half my HP during the fight, the intervall between the arrows is so small that you will stay invincible for the whole fight without even having to worry about getting hit for 40-60 dmg.

Another neat trick is that if you stand as close as you can to GUN-D4M when his hands fall down, allowing you to jump up on his shoulders, you don't take any damage and just get pushed a very tiny amount of distance to the left or right which allows you to quickly get up and deal as much damage as possible on him. (With the same character I can get to the bullet hell by just jumping up on his shoulders twice which is pretty nice.)

I will try to get this updated as the game gets updated and new methods are found. So keep an eye open!
If you have any tips or think you have a better way of doing things then drop a message in here and explain. :D

Your just full of good ideas aren't you? This will probably be my favorite forum post on here for awhile. Oh, but anyways I have a few tips and two questions. :D

Tips:
  • Instead of blocking for when a Bee attacks you use Blade Flurry (A 1-handed weapon skill.) This saves you the extra few seconds it takes for you to block and then attack the Bee. It takes a bit of practice but it really helps.
  • I know this is one sounds dumb, but scout the situation! If you just charge in your more likely to take damage or slow yourself down, you have to find the weakest link in the chain to break it. (Not really, you could just use brute force to break a chain but you get what I mean.)

Questions:
  1. Do you know any fast ways to get that enemy's card or last item?

2. Is there a way to tell how long you have been on a certain save file?

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
1. There are no special tactics for that. All drops depend on luck.
So making a 125% run is propably the most random thing that you could do.

2. The counter in the main menu when you choose you save file says how long you've been playing.
RunTime.JPG

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
When I created this I was mostly thinking about completing the main story but I guess we could cover all different categories. :p If you want I could go full in depth of where the best farming spots are for different mobs, explain all different boss tactics, cutscene skips and skill builds. I'm full of ideas and I've got a 2 week break comming up so I want to do something. :p

Item and card drops are random so there is no way to get them quicker unless you kill the monsters quicker. That said it's still RNG based so it wouldn't make much sense to speedrun something with that much RNG, but then again people speedrun BOI which is fairly RNG based sooo... Why not? XD

If you wanna speedrun I would recommend this guy who posted his speedrun here on the forum. http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/secret-of-grindea-speedrun-to-gundam.610/
He's doing Normal Story Mode. He is quite skilled so you'll have good use of his run and as far as I know he holds the record. :p