Stable: Version 0.880a

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
!lostship_frontline.png

Summary:
Now everyone can get wet and scared on the Lost Ship!

Recommended level: 25-30

About the Update

(This patch basically moves the Frontline content to the Stable branch - so Frontline players don't need to read this)

Players on the Stable branch can finally access the Lost Ship and the surrounding extra content!

Something to note: this release might be a bit less stable than regular Stable updates, since I've fixed a lot of bugs that hasn't passed through Frontline (and sometimes fixing a bug might lead to unintended behavior elsewhere - we have all seen the classic programming movie Butterfly Effect). The reason is because I added a pretty big feature to the Translation Tools that I realized would break the game for all those who play with translations if not everyone got their game updated at the same time. I apologize in advance, and will be keeping a close eye on things so I can fix any issues as quickly as possible!

The added translation functionality is the ability to use conditionals in most MiscTexts. Basically every string generated during gameplay can use them, so all speech bubbles etc should work, but item and monster description won't.

@TsReaper @BlueOnion439 Since I can't test perfectly with Chinese and Korean languages, please comment if you notice issues with the Translation Suite with this new functionality and I'll try to get it fixed as fast as possible!

Soundtrack Update

The soundtrack should update sometime today to include all the new tracks!

DRM-Free Update

The DRM-free version on the Humble Store will be updated next week! Since that installer does not automatically update, I want to observe the build for at least a few days to make sure as few bugs as possible slip into that installer.

What's next?

A few weeks back we had a discussion about what was left to do. We are, after all, at the doorstep to the end of the game - main story wise, at any rate!

As many of you know, there are a number of "holes" in the game right now: promises with no conclusion, like those wobbly plants, the house visible from Evergrind East, the strange stump in Seasonne, and so forth.

In essence, the four big parts left to do are: Final Dungeon, Game Finale, Arcade Mode Finish and Filling The Holes. The Game Finale will be very content heavy so we feel it's best to separate it from the dungeon leading up to it.

Initially, we were really intent to steam ahead and go with the Final Dungeon, but thinking about it some more we actually didn't like that approach. If we kept on thinking like that, would Filling The Holes be the last thing we did? That didn't seem very exciting, and might also inadvertently trigger people who have resolved to wait until the finished product to instead buy it early "since the story is finished", and getting a rather weird experience for someone expecting a finished game.

So instead we've decided to do things in the following order:
  • Filling The Holes
  • Arcade Mode (add Desert + Ghost Ship floors)
  • Final Dungeon
  • Game Finale (including a proper "finish line" for Arcade Mode runs)
  • Release!
  • Post Release*

In other words: the next segment we'll be working on is resolving the "promises" found throughout the game! Some of you might feel a bit deflated since you're eager for the conclusion to the story, and we feel you (since we are, too), but unless we add these things now the timing will be even more awkward!

The filled in holes will arrive chopped up as several Frontline patches, and possibly even more than one Stable update, since many of them are small, self-contained systems, quests and areas that can be polished to Stable quality individually.

We've actually become quite excited about the coming segment, and hope we can make you happy with what comes out of it!

* Post Release content will range from balance changes to brand new content, as well as adding backer rewards for people who sent in their design requests late

res7less

Jumpkin
Initially, we were really intent to steam ahead and go with the Final Dungeon, but thinking about it some more we actually didn't like that approach. [...] So instead we've decided to do things in the following order [...]
Totally understandable that upon being so close to release your first impulse would be wanting to get out the finale asap. But I also think the latter approach aligns a lot more with your philosophy up until now and isn't just what the long-term players are used to, but reflects the core of what they value within your work, which is why they are still loyal after so many years. Keep up the awesomeness, guys!

Well, I translated the new hint, but it doesn't show up. Instead, it showed the original English text. Category is NoticesAndTips, LocalID is BagTips_UseTwilight. Tool's current version was 0.875a, so I assume this problem is associated with the version difference.

And, I couldn't find the latest Roger Lyke (Hi~ don't shoot the messenger guy)'s dialogue. But it mentioned about playing Owlboy (and the original dialogue mentioned about the new Doom game).

Also I checked the new conditional feature. I think it works just fine.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
And, I couldn't find the latest Roger Lyke (Hi~ don't shoot the messenger guy)'s dialogue. But it mentioned about playing Owlboy (and the original dialogue mentioned about the new Doom game).

Oh, nice catch! That's my bad (again!) for not flagging the dialogue as critically changed! You can find it in the TaiMingPart2-region, as "!EndOfBeta"

Well, I translated the new hint, but it doesn't show up. Instead, it showed the original English text. Category is NoticesAndTips, LocalID is BagTips_UseTwilight. Tool's current version was 0.875a, so I assume this problem is associated with the version difference.

That's odd... are you sure you saved and selected the correct version of your translation in the game? Sometimes it's easy to accidentally choose the uploaded version instead of the one saved on your computer!

I ran a crude test to see if I could replicate it but it just seemed to work for me! (I have no idea what Bag is saying here :D)

upload_2020-4-3_11-24-49.png

I've checked, and I realised that I didn't upload it after translation. I thought I did, my bad :oops:

Now I translated '!EndOfBeta' and hint, and it properly shows up! Thanks for the help again.

And actually your bag is saying "You have no shield! L1BUTTON], You have no shield! ?"

20200403194831_1.jpg

Own

Oh, nice catch! That's my bad (again!) for not flagging the dialogue as critically changed! You can find it in the TaiMingPart2-region, as "!EndOfBeta"

In the past few months I saw someone playing a translation of the game that had Phaseman or something in the Flying Fortress designating the enemy as Fharmamera instead of Zhamla Meer. Was that not flagged critically changed, or do you think the translator left the project?

res7less

Jumpkin
In the past few months I saw someone playing a translation of the game that had Phaseman or something in the Flying Fortress designating the enemy as Fharmamera instead of Zhamla Meer.
What language was it?

res7less

Jumpkin
HOLY mother of airborne cavelings, is it intentional that it comes outside of its frame? That is some SCP foundation material right there... 10/10, wouldn't change

the_eye.PNG