Suggestion for specializing/ fleshing out the skill system.

hepatitisbees

Green Slime
So while I was replaying the beta for about the third time, one notion came to me- while the game is a ton of fun, as is the skill system, there was one thing it was missing- specialization. One one hand, the openness of the skill trees are very interesting- being able to freely create a character without archetypes or predetermined classes is a breath of fresh air. However, I think, at this point, it lacks a little luster, namely in the fact that there doesn't seem to be any reason to "synergize" or keep a few skill trees going.

On that note, how about the idea of "ultimate" skills? Essentially, how it would work is, between two skill trees, there would be one more skill that could only be unlocked once both trees were filled out. For example, leveling up both one handed and fire to their max capacity (say, 3 skills in each tree) would allow you to unlock a high-level, EP eating skill that, say, allows you to burn enemies for a lot of damage when you hit them with your sword. Or, if you maxed both the fire tree and the earth tree, you would summon a meteor shower that used all your EP (or a lot) but did lots of damage over an area. What do you guys think? I thought it made add some replayability to the game, in the sense that you wouldn't be able to sort of jack-of-all-trades and NOT miss out on a single really awesome skill, but it would be a carrot, rather than a stick, that would incentivize trying out new builds rather than forcing them on you.

Just for the record, there would be about 14 of these- one for each 2 element combo (6), and one for each weapon/ magic combo (8).

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I'm pretty sure this is not going to happen as they want you to be able to pick whatever skill ýou want. There is a 99% chance skilltrees won't become a thing in this game.

As for skills, we are going to get more Support skills and some Passive skills later (when they are finished ofc).

hepatitisbees

Green Slime
I'm pretty sure this is not going to happen as they want you to be able to pick whatever skill ýou want. There is a 99% chance skilltrees won't become a thing in this game.

As for skills, we are going to get more Support skills and some Passive skills later (when they are finished ofc).

Hence the notion of a carrot, rather than a stick- it would be a fun incentive to enhance replayability and long term rewards, and not gimp those who wanted to not specialize.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I get a feeling that you would "have to" go down in a tree because why wouldn't you? If you gain stronger skills then why would you go for non skilltree builds? I feel like you can only have one system and, call me oldfasioned, but I like the game as it is. Maybe because I've played the beta so much I can't really get a good perspective on things. Who knows? :p

hepatitisbees

Green Slime
I get a feeling that you would "have to" go down in a tree because why wouldn't you? If you gain stronger skills then why would you go for non skilltree builds? I feel like you can only have one system and, call me oldfasioned, but I like the game as it is. Maybe because I've played the beta so much I can't really get a good perspective on things. Who knows? :p
The reason that you wouldn't have to specialize is that the skills wouldnt be stronger, per se. They might do more damage, but at the cost of a ton of ep or some other useful aspect. I like the skill system as well, a lot, actually, but Im just afraid that the lack of progression will keep people from replaying, or from branching out when they do replay. I think having some skills you cant get right off the bat will give players a reason to try out that one skill they didnt like, and see where it takes them. Keep in mind that unspecialized builds would still be awesomely viable (hello derpy cloud run).

Btw, any idea what the passives are going to be like? And thanks for the input :)