Trading vs Codex opinion wars

Rabby
This has been discussed in a couple of other threads before, we will be adding a trading system at some point. Adding level limits to items is also something we've had on our to-do list for a long time!

As I can see here, trading will be included in this game.
Now here's my question:

Should trading an item add that item to your codex?
I feel like this would make the game would be a bit unfair if a friend with all the items in the game could just trade them to you and then boop those items would be shown as dropped from X enemy.

But perhaps then no one would go out and seek codex completion if someone traded the item to them?
What does everyone think? Should a traded item put it in your codex or should it only do that if you picked the item up yourself?

On another note, does anyone here believe if you see someone pick up an item you should it be placed into your codex? I believe so but I wish to hear other opinions as well.

Own

Level limits are the exact reason I do not want any trading in Secrets of Grindea. Level limits are for MMORPGs, not for RPGs. Imagine if you couldn't buy a new sword in FF4 or a new armor in Secret of Mana because you hadn't grinded enough.

The only reason to put any level limits in the game is to balance around trading, and honestly, people who want their friends to ruin the game for them aren't the sort of people you should be balancing the game around.

I'm not even sure why the game needs trading, other than for people who get a piece of mage gear being able to toss it to their mage buddy - in which case having lootsharing on seems like it would be best. One person picks up an item, all four get a copy of it. Or a rare item drops and everyone is presented with the option to claim it when someone picks it up with some key press.

There is nothing more unsatisfying than getting a rare drop off an enemy, only to see "Ha-ha, you need to gain a few more levels to even use this!"

Last edited:

Rabby
There is nothing more unsatisfying than getting a rare drop off an enemy, only to see "Ha-ha, you need to gain a few more levels to even use this!"

I would have to admit, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth as well, and I can't lie when I say that lootsharing would probably have solve all of my problems. Well that is aside from cards, which I believe should be given to everyone since that crud takes forever to get duplicates of for a friend. Then again I don't think cards should be tradable anyway so that's beside the point.

The reason I feel like it's not a horrible idea is when you play games like Starbound or Terraria when a friend can just toss you the best items craftable and you're just like "well I beat the game," and then you can either do all the hard work of gaining an item that you ALREADY HAVE which is, in my opinion, a waste of time. The obvious other option is to do all the work for that item so you can actually play the game and have fun, which is true you shouldn't stop yourself from playing a game if someone gave you everything.

I also had a proposition to fix this problem, though.
Instead of level, add tiers.
Tiers would only appear in story mode.
For example: When you start the game you're tier 0.
The slime hat and the rabbits foot are tier 0 items, and can be traded to anyone at any time.
However, only when you defeat giga slime (which is early) is when you become tier 1.
Now everything from giga slime boss drops to the monster drops from the sky palace are tier 1
When you defeat Phazeman you become tier two, which his drops (and Gund4m) are also tier 2.
And every new enemy until you fight the next boss would be tier 2 drops, but the boss's drops would be tier 3.
Which, upon killing that boss, you would become tier 3.

This way, as a player, you are never going to be conflicted with 'you can't equip this item' if you obtain the item yourself.
However, if you are given an item, it has to be an item within your relevant area within the game.
If anything, I think items that aren't within your tier should even be tradable to you in the first place.

Not to also mention, you can even make the tier names more funny and creative.
Instead of "Collector Rank one" You can call it "Slime tier" and "Robot Tier" and the liking.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I think we won't be adding those level limits, as we generally have the "let people do what they like" approach, which is also why we think trading should be in the game. We just had another discussion about level requirements and couldn't find any good reasons for them (apart from maybe being able to have equipment with stats as Arcade Mode rewards).

In this regard, we agree with Own: if people want to give each other end-game items that's their problem, and not something regular players should have to deal with.

For me, this also applies to having the codex update from trades. If completing the codex by connecting to a lot of different players and trading stuff, then that's the kind of player you are. If you are a true completionist, then you will find everything yourself. I'd even guess there will be enough no-trade items in the game (when it's finished) that completing the codex would be quite the achievement in either case!

About granting cards to all players, we're still discussing this, since they are not tradeable and might need special treatment to improve quality of life for parties.

Some people consider a higher level item something to look forward to and a lucky drop, a reward you can plan on that sometimes drives you to level if it's really neat. That's how I've always viewed it, at least. I'm ambivalent about whether item levels are added to the game though so I defer to those to care about it.

On that note, I'm definitely someone who is opinionated about item trading (I like it!) and considering nobody can force you to take a trade I don't see how it can ruin anything. That would only happen if it's a dropping system where someone could make you walk over it. Assuming it's a special menu or transaction, an option to disallow trade requests (like how MMOs allow you to decline various requests automatically) on the client side (so something you set, not a game-wide setting) would allow for maximum flexibility.

On that note, I'm definitely someone who is opinionated about item trading (I like it!) and considering nobody can force you to take a trade I don't see how it can ruin anything. That would only happen if it's a dropping system where someone could make you walk over it. Assuming it's a special menu or transaction, an option to disallow trade requests (like how MMOs allow you to decline various requests automatically) on the client side (so something you set, not a game-wide setting) would allow for maximum flexibility.

Going off what you said here I agree not a drop system but a trade system, you can decline it or accept it however there is more to it then that. Based off other games I have played that have had trading systems I think this one is the best solution for this problem.
  • Player 1 sends Player 2 a trade request.
  • Player 2 chooses to accept/deny the trade request.
  • Player 1 and/or Player 2 put items in a box that the other player can see.
  • Player 1 or Player 2 can cancel the trade at any time if they don't like it.
  • To accept the trade request BOTH players have to accept it.
  • They can chat during the trade.