Transfer silver points into gold points?

Teylor

Green Slime
Right now, you get spammed with tons of silver points, forcing you to level up many skills and until the end of the game, you only have 1 skill really at max level. But I think that some people prefer to have only 2 or 3 skills, but leveled up all the way. So I would like to see a transfer-mechanic that allows me to use some silver points to create one gold point.

It could be either
- 2 silver = 1 gold
or
- 3 silver = 1 gold

I think the second option is more balanced.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Right now, you get spammed with tons of silver points, forcing you to level up many skills and until the end of the game, you only have 1 skill really at max level. But I think that some people prefer to have only 2 or 3 skills, but leveled up all the way. So I would like to see a transfer-mechanic that allows me to use some silver points to create one gold point.

It could be either
- 2 silver = 1 gold
or
- 3 silver = 1 gold

I think the second option is more balanced.
I would actually like to see a better balance for the Gold points rather than using the same points for everything. I know that a lot of people are confused as to what to do with the Gold points but if you removed them and gave the players a lot more Silver points to use to upgrade a spell from Silver to Gold then there would probably be a lot of people that put points into even more spells since if you want a player to reach the Gold charge at the same level with the method you're suggesting as in the current system then they would have a ton of extra Silver points that you're free to put anywhere. The Gold points limit the player a bit as to what spells they can upgrade which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

I think that when the game development started the devs didn't have a clue as to what the maximum level should be and therefore the Gold and Silver point system feels a bit weird because there isn't a real plan for when you should have maxed out your spells. When the Story mode is almost complete and the balancing of all the spells start I hope they take a second look at how the Silver and Gold points should be distributed to hopefully get a better curve for how you level the spells. :D

Haxial

Green Slime
I can say that I tend to find myself with too many silver skill points that don't support the build that I'm going for. For example, if I have a summoner build and I have enough silver points for three extra skills I might still only find myself using one extra skill (at most) because I'm already trying to micro manage my plant summons. If these silver points could be used for passive skills (which I know is planned for the future) this would alleviate some of the extra points you're left with.

Overall, though, it does feel like I'm forced to spread out my build into skills that seem like a waste of my EP, so, on more than one of my characters I have silver skill points that are unused because putting them into skills would be pointless.

Whether this is solved with the addition of more supportive skills or with the addition of the ability to change silver into gold, I do agree that this needs to be addressed as a potential issue for players in the future to come.

GarlicJelly

I can say that I tend to find myself with too many silver skill points that don't support the build that I'm going for. For example, if I have a summoner build and I have enough silver points for three extra skills I might still only find myself using one extra skill (at most) because I'm already trying to micro manage my plant summons. If these silver points could be used for passive skills (which I know is planned for the future) this would alleviate some of the extra points you're left with.

Overall, though, it does feel like I'm forced to spread out my build into skills that seem like a waste of my EP, so, on more than one of my characters I have silver skill points that are unused because putting them into skills would be pointless.

Whether this is solved with the addition of more supportive skills or with the addition of the ability to change silver into gold, I do agree that this needs to be addressed as a potential issue for players in the future to come.
Actually, the passive skills are already in the game (kind of..). They decided to not add the passive skills when they added the talents because they're basically the same.

Haxial

Green Slime
I love the addition of talents, but, since talents use talent orbs it still presents an issue for the abundance of silver points.

GarlicJelly

I love the addition of talents, but, since talents use talent orbs it still presents an issue for the abundance of silver points.
It's not really and issue that you have excess Silver points. You don't have to spend all of them since they don't affect your character in any way. However there should be more Gold points and a bit less Silver points IMO because you need a suuuuper high level to max out your second skill which is a shame since there could be so many cools combos you could do if you had the right amount of skill points. :)

Haxial

Green Slime
I completely agree. I shouldn't have used the term, "issue", whereas I should have said, "pointless". If I have so many silver points and not so many gold points then you wind up with tons of extra silver points and not enough gold points. Those silver points become null for most people. Even if you invest those silver points they likely won't go to much use for most builds.

I really don't think converting, say, 3 silver points for a single gold point would be OP. If someone wants to focus on just two, or three, skills then I don't think it should take as long as it does to max them. That's just my opinion; but, nonetheless, I'm sure as the game nears final release these things will be worked out one way or another.

GarlicJelly

I completely agree. I shouldn't have used the term, "issue", whereas I should have said, "pointless". If I have so many silver points and not so many gold points then you wind up with tons of extra silver points and not enough gold points. Those silver points become null for most people. Even if you invest those silver points they likely won't go to much use for most builds.

I really don't think converting, say, 3 silver points for a single gold point would be OP. If someone wants to focus on just two, or three, skills then I don't think it should take as long as it does to max them. That's just my opinion; but, nonetheless, I'm sure as the game nears final release these things will be worked out one way or another.
I don't think that using 3 Silver points to upgrade the skills once after the skill reaches level 5 would be OP, but I do think that the option to spread thin would cause more harm to new players than it would help. Most people want to try different skills to see which one the like the most so if they're given a lot of points they can put into different skills before they know about the Gold charge and what they need to get it they might spend all their points in different skills which would force them to either start over or farm tons of money to revert all the Silver points. I think the Gold points serve as a little safety net to prevent prople from putting all their points in different skills while it also acts as an incentive to keep upgrading a few skills rather than putting one point in everything. :p

andirigible

Green Slime
Another way to balance this would be to either a) increase the rate at which Gold points are acquired or b) have the last 3 skill points be Gold, rather than the last 5. The latter would require some rebalancing as far as bonuses go, but the former runs the risk of overcorrection.