Unable to launch game now

Karnageink

Green Slime
Previously i was able to launch some time ago. When i try to launch now via steam, the outline on my profile pic changes momentarily from blue (online) to green (in game), then goes back to blue. No popup showing the the game is launching.

below is the log of the .net runtime error. im using windows 10

Application: Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException
at SoG.SteamworksMan+CSteamData..ctor()
at SoG.SteamworksMan.Init()
at SoG.Program.Main(System.String[])

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Seems to be an error that occurs when the game is trying to initialize Steam!

Have you tried verifying the game's cache, and also disabled your antivirus to see if it's interfering somehow?

Karnageink

Green Slime
Seems to be an error that occurs when the game is trying to initialize Steam!

Have you tried verifying the game's cache, and also disabled your antivirus to see if it's interfering somehow?

verified game cache, reinstalled the game, no antivirus

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
There are some basic startup diagnostics you can turn on for some potential clues!

Go into the game's properties, and click on "Set Launch Options". Type "-startuplog" (without the quotes) there and then OK. Next time you start the game, it should create a text file called "startuplog.txt" in the folder I mentioned before (%APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea). Hopefully this will give us a hint about when it crashes!

For science, you could also try to see what happens if you go into the game' s install folder (right click on the game in your library, select properties, go to Local Files and then click Browse Local Files to open up the folder) and do the following things:

1) Try launching the game .exe as admin by right clicking it and select "Run as administrator"
2) Try shutting down Steam completely and then run the game using the .exe

Karnageink

Green Slime
startup log :
Game has started
Startup diagnostics set to true

1) Try launching the game .exe as admin by right clicking it and select "Run as administrator" -same thing happens, green to blue status
2) Try shutting down Steam completely and then run the game using the .exe (nothing happened)

Karnageink

Green Slime
i found the solution : replace the d3dx9_41.dll file with the same from 1 of my steam game dx folders into C:\Windows\SysWOW64

so far a few of the steam games with the same error launch just fine