Version 0.599f (+fufu+fumoffu)

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Oof, yeah. The more I experiment with Shadowclone and Spirit Slash, the more I don't agree with some of the Winter Arcade changes. The Snow Frostlings move too fast, they attack too often and throw way too fast compared to before. You could see the snowball coming and sidestep it, even if you were fighting enemies. At least wisps didn't immediately run away from you, their shots weren't so fast you didn't have to constantly be moving to avoid them and perfect guarding them actually sent their shots back at them.

They've turned into mini-machinegunner bosslings that do a ton of damage, prevent you from focusing on any other enemy in the room and if they're hiding in a blizzard, good luck. :p Doubly so if the entire room is slippery, or a couple of Thuglings are barreling down on you.

At least with whirlslash I can charge into them and try to kill them without a bunch of other Winter mobs descending on me. I'm giving up on that build for now, if not due to the Snow Frostlings then because of Marino. I'll revisit it whenever Marino winds up in the Hall of Memory.
That's sad. :( I love my Shadow Clones.

turboshek

Green Slime
Good afternoon, I am new to the forum and was wondering if there is any free beta version where I can test the game.

turboshek

Green Slime
April 16th 2014? that I've played, I thought there was a newer one. Thank you! ah ... why can not I find Grindea Secrets of the steam?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Patch 0.599fumoffu (wut)

Summary: I'll just blindside everyone with a random patch that doesn't contain the actual new stuff (leaderboards), but instead fixes a bunch of other stuff! Considering we're currently recommending new streamers to go Frontline, I'm actually going to bring this patch to the Stable branch if no new major issues get reported before 0.599g (a guy can dream, right?)

Additions
  • You can now hide your pets if you feel they are cramping your style!
  • In multiplayer, a book emote will now appear over your head while you're in the menu
Changes
  • Frostling snowballs can now be reflected with perfect guards, as with most other projectiles
  • The sound effect volume should now account for the aspect ratio, making sounds fall off faster with vertical distance
  • Client rejection messages will now only appear in the host's chat window once every 10 seconds, to avoid getting spammed
  • The startup animations of the spell charges are no longer attack cancelable (sorry Diem)
Bug Fixes
  • Round Robin should no longer interfere with quest items that must be granted to the server
  • The Gun-D4m head can now be hit with fireballs without standing right next to it
  • Frostling Rogues should no longer randomly run into walls, getting stuck
  • Throwing out the last item in a category no longer crashes the game
  • Changing equipment through quickslots and then casting a melee spell no longer crashes clients
  • Fighting Gun-D4m with a teleport field open no longer causes a crash upon client phase shifting
  • The objective text for the Split the Bill-quest has been updated to reflect reality better
  • There is now a safety check which forces quests sync in Arcade Mode, preventing desync during boss fights
  • The player's hair no longer turn into strange colors while charging spells
  • Frostling Scoundrel snowballs are now destroyed properly on hit for clients

Own

The player's hair no longer turn into strange colors while charging spells

Wait... what? I thought that was intentional. :( I thought the bug was that only singleplayer or the host could see hair color changes, not that multiplayer people couldn't. You charge the first level of a spell, you get colorful sparks. You charge the second level and your hair glows to match the element.

This change makes me sad. :p It was a cool effect and I was hoping to see what sort of coolness the Gold Charge for spells would do, maybe put a colorful magical glyph under the characters. Boooooo!

(Speaking of the colorful-symbol-under-character-thing, weren't you guys going to add some special thing beneath Empowered season enemies? Maybe a twirling green leaf for summer, snowflake for winter and brown leaf for autumn? You still need some way to distinguish Empowered from Elite. :D I'd even take just giving them the spell-charging effects that magic spells get with players, little green/blue/brown speckles floating around them if they're Empowered.)

Last edited:

Own

Oh, and about leaderboards:

May I request leaderboards contain more than just score, if it's at all possible? Like, if you select a leaderboard entry, you see things like...

Total time taken from beginning to end of the run, including shop / menu / etc time.

# of hits taken during the run.

Skills chosen. (Talents too, maybe)

# of enemies killed.

Level.

Perks chosen.

Partially out of interest to see how everyone gets to Floor 13 in their own way, but also partially because while it's easy to send a fake score to Steam, it's hard to send an entire convincing run. If someone got to Floor 13 in 20 minutes, it'd be easy to prevent them from submitting to the leaderboards. :D

(And speaking of "# of hits taken during the run", shouldn't that be what people are graded on at the Arena and in Arcade Mode? Your defense shouldn't matter, the fact that you got hit should. :))

GarlicJelly

Wait... what? I thought that was intentional. :( I thought the bug was that only singleplayer or the host could see hair color changes, not that multiplayer people couldn't. You charge the first level of a spell, you get colorful sparks. You charge the second level and your hair glows to match the element.

This change makes me sad. :p It was a cool effect and I was hoping to see what sort of coolness the Gold Charge for spells would do, maybe put a colorful magical glyph under the characters. Boooooo!
I thought it was obvious that the color change was part of the bug but I can also agree on it befitting at least the Summon Plant spell since you technically get green fingers when your whole character turns green from the bug. XD

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Just tried PDxxShieldxxAttack. Doesn't work.

Guess I have to play the game like a person now :(

You still might not have to play like normal people; the PD part of that cycle can be skipped completely! Attacks are shield cancelable, so you can go straight Attack xx Shield xx Attack ..

It's harder to pull off since it requires timing to be efficient (you want to attack again on the exact frame the shield startup is over), but it's quite a bit faster than regular attack chaining if your ASPD isn't very high.

Leaderboard stuff

Yes, it's possible to send extra data with the entries, and yes, I'll be sending some extra statistics with the scores!

For now we won't be rendering them out on screen for clients though, as we want to be space efficient. Only visual flair will be seen client side (that is, colors and visible equipment on the top #3 characters, or top team in multiplayer).

Damage grading as per hit instead of damage taken

I totally agree! I'm actually going to change that for the leaderboard patch, along with some other scoring details. We're adding a fifth grading letter, D, which will award 0 points. On the bright side, grade fusing will now round up from .5 grades (so S + A now totals to S)

This should make it a bit more feasible to get those S-rank achievements, as you could actually take a couple of hits as long as you got good clear times, and successful risk-taking will be more visible in the score.

Charge visual effects

The hair thing was sadly a bug! I've changed it so the aura intended for Ultimate charges now appears at Gold charge, though, so hopefully that's some comfort :3

Own

On the bright side, grade fusing will now round up from .5 grades (so S + A now totals to S)

So people can take a few hits at the Arena and still get the crown? :eek: That's a mark of truly understanding enemy attack patterns, dodging and shielding. It really prepares people heavily for the first few floors of Arcade Mode.

I hope Arena is the exception. :D I've always assumed it's meant to be something you can do over and over until you can do it perfectly for the best rewards, like Bastion's challenges.

GarlicJelly

So people can take a few hits at the Arena and still get the crown? :eek: That's a mark of truly understanding enemy attack patterns, dodging and shielding. It really prepares people heavily for the first few floors of Arcade Mode.

I hope Arena is the exception. :D I've always assumed it's meant to be something you can do over and over until you can do it perfectly for the best rewards, like Bastion's challenges.
I think Teddy is just talking about changing the grading system in Arcade Mode. :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I just converged the builds! In fact, they are so converged that the Stable beta downloads a Frontline version. This is intentional for now.

This is not a "proper" stable release, but the Frontline version is just so much better in almost every conceivable way that it makes little sense to have people play the ancient Stable build by default.

The proper stable release will, as promised, come after we've implemented all the Steamwork features we need, and added all the gold charges! "Proper Stable" = DRM free version and a truly branched update path.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Ok, just hotfixed a tiiiiny bug which made the game crash whenever you won against the Season Hydra!

taka79

Green Slime
how to update my version? my version is frontline beta 0.59a ...
i want upgrade to v. 0.599f
thnx before. help.

GarlicJelly

how to update my version? my version is frontline beta 0.59a ...
i want upgrade to v. 0.599f
thnx before. help.
Steam should update your game automatically unless you've changed your settings for how steam handles updates. If you right click on Secrets of Grindea in your library and select Properties -> Updates and then look at your settings there you should see if your game will auto update or not. :p

taka79

Green Slime
my secret of grindea not in steam, and if I put my game at steam, in game properties i not found the setting to auto update. i dont know why? ;(