Version 0.670a

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Summary: Second zone is here!! Apologies in advance to the translating crews. I hope you don't get a heart attack when you see the new region of dialogues... :bag:

I think I will have nightmares about this zone for the rest of my life! Beautiful, well animated and filled with NPCs, but definitely nightmares. It's finally here for Frontliners to experience!

Recommended level: around 18-20

Update Description

Copypaste disclaimer: This is one of those real Frontline updates, meaning the polish level is at maybe 80 % or so. Place holder sounds, some missing effects, etc! Old timers know what to expect!

Also note: Just like with the crafting recipes, the items sold by the shop NPCs will be changed a bit later on! We'll definitely add some new baseline equipment, and some new hats.

Anyways, here it is, the second zone of the Tai Ming "temple", a.k.a the Inner City! I think most people will get something like 60-80 minutes of playtime, and those who enjoy looking around and talking to people will probably get 90+ minutes.

The zone is pretty complex compared to what we've usually put out there, so let's hope there aren't too many sequence breaking bugs!

We're very interested in hearing what you think of the "temple" and its enemies/inhabitants so far!

We'll gladly take your feedback on the patch right here in the thread! If you want to provide feedback for enemy encounters etc, please provide your character level and primary skills used!

/taiming2reset will reset the second zone and Puzzle World only, except for non-story chests
/taimingreset will reset the entire temple (both zones as of now)

Here are the patch notes:

Additions
  • The second part of Tai Ming is now playable!
Changes
  • The cherry trees in Tai Ming now drop petals according to trope law!
  • The knockback of some of the Cursed Priestess' attacks has been adjusted, to help prevent chained damage
  • You can now undo the /shutup command with /speak to allow Naniva to talk again
  • Statues now glow in the eyes and mouth when awake, and flicker out when they become unconscious
  • The Lumber Axe is now Toy Axe and give slightly different stats
Bug Fixes
  • The Cursed Priestess boss can no longer be stunned
  • Summons created right before fighting the Cursed Priestess should no longer bug out for clients
  • The game should no longer crash when creating and then immediately leaving a multiplayer lobby
  • Pet bonuses on multiplayer clients no longer gets applied twice
  • Fixed an obscure crash bug when catching a Rabby after already having acquired a pet
  • Fixed a bug where the Meteor's additional effects would sometimes not be applied
  • Fixed a crafting bug where one could craft infinite amounts of an item, and also drop items when stack was at 0
  • Marino no longer bugs out in multiplayer if he kills a player with a dash attack
  • Dying during the festival no longer resets the teleport disable

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Marino no longer bugs out in multiplayer if he kills a player with a dash attack
I better get some kudos for the testing on this one. Imaginary Mars Bar or RIOT :mad:

Fixed a crafting bug where one could craft infinite amounts of an item, and also drop items when stack was at 0
NUUUUUUUuuuaaactually it's fine. In case anyone wants to do some more testing on this one I still have a save file with like 3,600,000 spinsect armour and about 100 slime chestplates :rolleyes:

View attachment 1832

Am I blind, or am I stuck? The only thing I've done it hit the lever, then went through the teleporter in the courtyard of the big building. I can't see or find an obvious way out :oops:

Enemies are supposed to spawn there and you have to fight them all in order to open up the gate at the side. Doesn't look like they spawned for you, though.

I got a few bugs of my own, but nothing serious, just a bunch of little random things.

First one is this little guy spawning out of bounds in the bottom right-ish next to the river:
https://puu.sh/rZNgS/af866eec24.png

The second is that sometimes my character would pop through the... things, in the puzzle room here, sometimes I could do it, sometimes I couldn't, was totally random but very jarring when it happened:
https://puu.sh/rZOkV/bf92b676a2.png
https://puu.sh/rZOmM/a54b331a33.png

Thirdly, in the same room, I could slightly push the pieces out of bounds to the south. Thankfully I could squeeze back under them to push them back up north in bounds, but it took a small amount of effort:
https://puu.sh/rZOsG/574615dbf9.png

The fourth bug I found was that sometimes the past version of the music was playing in the present, and vice versa. This happened by teleporting back to Evergrind (for a quick full heal) and then coming back. This doesn't happen every time though.

Fifth bug that I had was that sometimes switching between Tai Ming zone 2 and zone 1 sometimes causes the music to just... die. I had to quit story mode and come back to revive it although warping out probably would had fixed it too.

The sixth bug is that my file completion said 100% before, but after closing the game and restarting it, it's at 99%, even though I have everything completed.

Only minor thing I've found so far is that Tessen's quest marker also doesn't go away even when everything is completed.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Am I blind, or am I stuck? The only thing I've done it hit the lever, then went through the teleporter in the courtyard of the big building. I can't see or find an obvious way out :oops:

Fixed that bug and also fixed a bug that makes it so the moss spores can't hurt you in the battle outside HQ :bag:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
So, my hands died after about 10 attempts of the Dual Thorn-Worm fight. But hey, that's kinda expected trying a boss for the first time on Hard. Anyway, bugs!

invisiwall.png

Seems to be an unexplained invisible wall here.

Actually wait, apart from some minor visual glitches (like Giant Thorn Worm tails hitting outside the arena and making the river go brown, and some grass being layered over the top of you) that was all I found. I'm clearly not up to the same standard I used to be :oops:

Anyway, as for what I've played of the thorn worm fight, it's pretty difficult without placeholder sounds, or any sounds for that matter. I love the uncertainty of the burrowing, not knowing what's going to pop up, whether it be either of the worms doing a Lock Ness Monster impression, a tail that's about to give you a thwack, or a head. Always keeps you on edge.

I'm slightly disappointed you can't get the worms to hit eachother or themselves with their tails. would make for a nice mechanic, but then you're basically destined to sit there camping the head, to move out the way each time the tail hits. I guess the smaller worms would keep you moving anyway though. Just a thought.

Will continue tomorrow.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The second is that sometimes my character would pop through the... things, in the puzzle room here, sometimes I could do it, sometimes I couldn't, was totally random but very jarring when it happened:

Hotfixed!

Also hotfixed some stuff that came up in @JamesKT 's stream.

RuckeySquad

Green Slime
i posted about this on the bug form, but i think its a good idea for me to report this here as well,
in this patch when i enter the door in the temple of seasons above the giant statue(pictured below) the game crashes
rk9xdFV.jpg

in my case i was just returning to do some item grinding, so its no big problem, but for other people i see this would be an issue because they wouldnt be able to complete the dungeon.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
i posted about this on the bug form, but i think its a good idea for me to report this here as well,
in this patch when i enter the door in the temple of seasons above the giant statue(pictured below) the game crashes

Indeed that's a pretty big bug! Nice find! I've uploaded a hotfix that should go live shortly to fix this issue (it happened because I accidentally destroyed the old Season Change vines when creating their Tai Ming alter egos)

Dinodinodude

Green Slime
One issue that I came across is that if you don't defeat the Echo of Madness enemies that follow you out of the graveyard before you do anything else, they will knock you out of any dialogue that you get in. Now I'll never know what juicy secrets were in Mana's diary ;-;

Own

I see everyone else has had a crack at it. Time for me to go over it with the usual fine tooth comb. :)

Ankin: got worker should be got work

Kailen: Introduces himself as Kaiden

Feit: as people here calls it should be call it, unless he's a gangsta

Faita: all these years back should be all those years back

Dr Guard: Hello There! should be Hello there!

Kinton's left/right sprites are identical, despite having the sash/bandage/? on only one arm.

Tessen: subejct should be subject

Kinton, if approached from the side, will remain looking away from the player during his cutscene rather than turning to face ahead.

Sizou, if talked to while standing on the little staircase that leads down into the water when engaging his quest, prompts Bag to say "Bring your friends here". Moving up off the staircase engages Sizou normally. This was in singleplayer.

The Secrets of Mana (hurrr) quest prompt: what she enjoys to do should be enjoys doing or likes to do

Thoughts: Is Zhamla's sword the sword that was in front of the dragon? Also, are Zhamla's slashes supposed to have damage numbers? Every cutscene attack we've seen so far (Luke/Mom) has.

There's an invisible barrier about 3 character lengths below me here. upload_2016-10-30_6-15-51.png

The watering can in Mana's house has no collision.

to be continued

Last edited:

res7less

Jumpkin
Gah, why now? :confused: I'm currently in a project and busy until at least November 7th, so I currently can neither play nor translate until then :( Well, at least most bugs will be fixed until I get to play it :D Looking forward to it!

Own

In the first combat puzzle room with the monkeys, an elite statue spawned. After I KO'd it the monkeys kept going to it's petrified state as if they wanted to throw it but couldn't.

I then hit it a few times while trying to kill everything else, but it wouldn't break. After a while it reanimated, and when I did hitting it revealed no damage numbers and didn't show an HP bar in the bottom right. The room cleared when everything else was dead and it let me proceed, but I stuck around to keep hitting the statue until it died and broke properly. Strange.

---

Monkeys stop spawning the instant the key hits the floor, even if another monkey picks it back up.

---

The final puzzle can be cheesed by having the ancient statue land perfectly between the two buttons, hitting both simultaneously. Speedrun strats? Or what most people will try to do. :p

---

Faita: all cards there is should be every card there is

---

Monkey thrown spike worms don't actually hurt you. You're only hurt by the worm itself when it burrows underground. I believe the worms are supposed to do massive damage when they connect?

Last edited:

Elswor

Rabby
So, after heading over to the new Tai Ming area and exploring the place a bit, I decided to head out and head back to Evergrind and check around to see if anything broke/changed/whatnot.

I didn't really go too far into Tai Ming's new area since I'm waiting to run through it with friends, most I did was fight the mobs outside the present-day HQ and break the bamboo the little girl was bouncing her ball off of (I feel like a jerk).

After deciding to head back to Tai Ming I find this:

a662637372.png

(I had the Lumber, er, Toy Axe before this update released, I haven't gone into the Puzzle area yet, based on the description I guess its there now? :p).

So... now what? I'm fairly certain there was a warp there before. Do I have to /taimingreset ? Saving and quitting and reloading didn't seem to work and it happens in both multi and singleplayer.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
So... now what? I'm fairly certain there was a warp there before. Do I have to /taimingreset ? Saving and quitting and reloading didn't seem to work and it happens in both multi and singleplayer.

Did you have the game running for a while? You might've been playing when I uploaded a patch that "fixes" the lock out issue! You'll have to go to Tai Ming, save and exit and then go back into that character slot.

If that doesn't work, you can write /taiming2reset to reset just the second zone, and bring the rifts back!

Spelling!

Your linguistic vigilance is, as always, much appreciated! :D

I believe the worms are supposed to do massive damage when they connect?

Oh, yes. Yeah, they did for a while, with a huge explosion, but I removed that while waiting for the real effect (some quake thingy I think), but we forgot the real effect... o.o

Monkeys stop spawning the instant the key hits the floor, even if another monkey picks it back up.

This was actually by design to keep players from crying if they managed to floor the key but then a monkey picked it up. It was added when the room had a slightly different layout, though, and the monkeys practically never accidentally tossed the darn key straight into walls and pillars...

The final puzzle can be cheesed by having the ancient statue land perfectly between the two buttons, hitting both simultaneously. Speedrun strats? Or what most people will try to do. :p

I think a devious mind like yours is needed to come up with stuff like that (and I think that solution is as elegant as any) :D I'm sure @JamesKT will gladly soak up this new knowledge!

Gah, why now? :confused: I'm currently in a project and busy until at least November 7th, so I currently can neither play nor translate until then :( Well, at least most bugs will be fixed until I get to play it :D Looking forward to it!

Good luck with the project, dude! ( and apologies for the bad timing :chicken: )

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Save and Quit in thorn worm fight, then return to the area. All the dummies are broken. Guard is stabbing aimlessly at nothing:

yeard.png

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
If you talk to Quinton from the side when initiating a cutscene, he'll continue facing that way. The same bug exists for Kinton:

kinton.png

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Not sure if it's because I've already quit out of the fight and re-entered, but the first time I've fought the thorn worm after saving and quitting, there's been really weird collision in these two corners. I can walk straight around the edge but if I try to go through the middle I seem to get stuck on nothing:

collision.png

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
It would be nice if Cloud Strike was turning invisible during cutscenes. Talking to someone if you can't see that person, because final charge Cloud Strike is in way... ¬_¬

Also, are Zhamla's slashes supposed to have damage numbers? Every cutscene attack we've seen so far (Luke/Mom) has.
Now that I think of it, this attack is sort of reminiscent of Zantetsuken, which doesn't have damage numbers.