Version 0.670a

Fred

Developer
Staff member
View attachment 1843
Also, we haven't had a boar-charging-rock-esque sidequest / secret in a long time. :p Would be nice to see one requiring the monkeys throwing something at something else.

I support this. We'll just have to find a fitting spot to put it in, perhaps somewhere in the third and final zone of Tai Ming. If I remember correctly from our prototype layouts, it's a bit sparse when it comes to secrets :chicken:

On a whole different note, I would just like to give all of you playtesters, new and old, a truly heartfelt thank you.
Some of you have stuck around with us for what feels like forever, and you still provide us with such deep and thorough play throughs of ever new update we drop. It just blows my mind.

I feel like a broken record (that's been broken ever since the very first time we let people into the closed beta years back) but your feedback is worth gold to us. Thanks for being part of the development and helping us make Grindea better than we ever could on our own! MUCH LOVE <3

Own

I support this. We'll just have to find a fitting spot to put it in, perhaps somewhere in the third and final zone of Tai Ming. If I remember correctly from our prototype layouts, it's a bit sparse when it comes to secrets :chicken:

Could be something as simple as an out-of-the-way rusted over pressure plate that requires a monkey-thrown statue somewhere striking it to smash through it's rust, with both needing to be lead to it.

Or baiting a monkey into repeatedly flinging a plant monster across the level for you, using it's spores to blow something up in a place it wouldn't naturally spawn. Maybe a barrel next to a cracked wall.

"This barrel is full of (fireworks)/(explosives)! If only there were a powerful enough explosion to set it off..."

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I forgot to post it earlier, but I opened the Puzzle World chest like this:
kK3zRPF.png

(yes, I'm standing diagonally behind the chest. Totally legit way to open it)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That's the way I did it and I thought it looked pretty cheesy. What's the proper way to do it?

It's pretty similar: you can place the totem one tile down and then you can run down the bridge to open the chest from the side, which looks at least a bit more proper!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Ahh I get it. The gap across is two blocks wide, so if you only put one block down you can still walk onto it. Neat! :D

I was having a think about it myself and I was wondering if you got the hammer to fall on the chest it might leave the item on the ground for you. I guess that just leads to broken chest remains, just as the floating chest with the low water level in the present does.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
@Teddy @Fred It feels very inconsiderate of me to ruin this masterpiece of an animation you two had to toil over. I apologise for ruining all your hard work.

This is how water works right?

Echo

Green Slime
So...I'm stuck. I don't understand how I'm supposed to get the ale? In the past timeline, Bag says that it's the ale, but not old enough. When I go to my timeline, the barrel is smashed with the ale on the ground. How do I get it?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
It's in a grid and you can push it around in the past. Try and find a spot to move it where the keg won't get smashed in the present!

Own

In the next patch could we have the slime hat / rabby foot drop rates fixed? They're still at 1 in 1000, aren't they?

Also, what is the monkey card drop % at? According to my banana count, I've killed at least 400~ monkeys and no card.

Own

I begin to think perhaps the monkeys in Puzzle World's key room aren't set to drop a card. :p

Perhaps it's time to add about 5-10 more talents per talent section as well, once Tai Ming is fully done. It's getting to the point where there's a lot of talent orbs and... not many good talents to put them in. Especially if you're a mage.

Own

upload_2016-11-4_4-41-36.png

Is it my imagination, or are Rikku and Maya the same person? With Rikku meaning to be in the original section of Tai Ming? Or was that a change that was made? :p Certainly looks like an Old/Young version.

Own

upload_2016-11-4_6-5-32.png

This tree doesn't have cherryblossom petals fluttering down. Literally unplayable.

On the note of cherryblossom petals, man, I hope we find an item here that gives us that effect like the butterfly/snowflake pendant.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Is it my imagination, or are Rikku and Maya the same person?
I think they are just sisters :fish:

btw, I didn't see anyone comment on this yet...
Dzk68TG.png

Well played, Pixel Ferrets :chicken:

EDIT:
Bran Di is called "loony bin" in one dialogue. That translates more like "nuthouse" than "crazy person". Not sure if it's a proper word to call someone.

EDIT2:
What exactly is "Peron Wheat" from Peron Wheat Ale?

EDIT3:
For some reason, in translation files dialogues "Rikku01" and "Maya01" are the same, but with different face.

EDIT4:
Word "timeline" is used a lot, to distinguish "past timeline" and "current timeline". I think that timeline is a word for single plot of events, with past, present and future. Multiple timelines are rather a thing of parallel universes. So it should say "past times"/"present times" instead. Not sure if anyone would care though.

Last edited:

Own

EDIT3:
For some reason, in translation files dialogues "Rikku01" and "Maya01" are the same, but with different face.

I swear, man, the devs intended for Rikku and Maya to be the same person but forgot. Or changed their minds. :p They have the same hair loop, same bow, same brows, same eyes.

Either way, I doubt anyone else would notice but me.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
I can confirm that Rikku and Maya were indeed intended to be one and the same, once upon a time. In fact, they were the first iteration of Tessen!

(When we decided to make a new design for Tessen, we turned the old version into a side character instead. Then we felt there were already so many kids in the first part of Tai Ming, so she/they ended up as sisters in the second part!)

Reactions: Own