Version 0.680a

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The Bishop's appearance effect in the cutscene bubble thing doesn't appear to be affected by the sepia filter. Seen as that's also the Gold charge Shadow Clone (?) animation, I would assume it's a placeholder, in which case bear this in mind when making the new one, or if not, it might look nicer if it fit the colour scheme :D

Own

Yo! I'll send you a link to an mp3 of the song in a little bit, Own. Or anyone else who wants it, just let me know. The library is meant for game developers who plan to use the song in a commercial project (hence the price tag), so if you're interested in it for listening purposes only, I'm happy to send it along. Or KoBeWi can, doesn't matter to me :)

You're awesome! :D Thank you!

DragonEnder67

Green Slime
Has anyone else seen the bug where your Frosty Friend doesn't take damage? it's helpful but make Frosty OP. he started becoming invincible after he grew to his second stage and up. some times he would take damage other times he didn't.

Own

Lag report:

In Tai Ming 2 as P2 in co-op, I was so laggy I could barely do anything in present day. My comp must really suck.

Lag was noticeable in the Zhamla Meer fight, but I managed to survive to the end.

In the Mimic fight, if too many enemies spawn on screen, it lags quite a bit.

It all works fine enough in single player, so... probably not too big a problem for most people. :) The people with bad computers probably do better as hosts.

Own

I just realized, Tai Ming wasn't butchered. The only person there who was killed was... Sizou? So the shades you seen in the present aren't ghosts, they're just visions from a thousand years prior. That means when the town was evacuated, the monkeys were left to die in their cage. :eek: Dr. Papa Guard is a monster. I wonder how soon after Sizou's death Mana died, too... or how much time passed between Zhamla leaving Tai Ming and Zhamla murdering Sizou. Poor Mana. I was surprised she wasn't there to see the celebration of Zhamla, given that she essentially helped raise him. Or did she die before he came back?

Also, a nice detail in the Zhamla battle might be to replace the ghost-giggle-esque sound effect (not sure if it's a placeholder or the intended sound) when he's casting a spell with a series of four quick charging sounds, similar but distinctly different from those the player makes when charging their own skills. Just to drive home that he's using the same skills as the player, just on a completely other level. :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
That means when the town was evacuated, the monkeys were left to die in their cage.
But... canonically, didn't we release the monkeys? Like, history would never have played out the same way if we weren't there to manipulate it?

Own

But... canonically, didn't we release the monkeys? Like, history would never have played out the same way if we weren't there to manipulate it?

Characters tell you that history can't be changed, implying that we're in a Game of Thrones-style "Everything that happens happened because it already happened and there's no way to alter that" situation, but one thing around town contradicts that. If you don't release the monkeys, when you go into the monkey hut you see a pile of monkey bones behind bars. Canonically the monkeys died in captivity. You went back in time, changed history and released them, allowing them to overrun Tai Ming in the present.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The way I see it, because the player is forced to release the monkeys to progress, the monkeys dying in captivity is what you change history from. I mean, it must've played out that way because the Cursed Priestess says "Do not fear the horrors of the past, for you have already bested them", as if she knows that the changes had happened.

Having said that, the monkeys aren't there when you initially arrive, meaning you mustn't have released them in the past in the first place, meaning the player wasn't there or never progressed, meaning Zhamla would've broken the barrier and the Cursed Priestess wouldn't have been locked in stone, therefore you would've had no time rifts to open and realise that the monkeys weren't there.

Paradox?

TsReaper

Boar
The meter of Zhamla shows incorrectly with a Chinese translation.

bossmeter.png

Also, one can not find the pop-ups "Tessen, quick!" in the translation tool.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The meter of Zhamla shows incorrectly with a Chinese translation.

View attachment 2132

Also, one can not find the pop-ups "Tessen, quick!" in the translation tool.

Ah, nice find about the HP-bar! I'll have these two fixed in a patch coming in the middle of next week, with a bunch of other fixes and about half the sounds.

Sykper

Green Slime
The way I see it, because the player is forced to release the monkeys to progress, the monkeys dying in captivity is what you change history from. I mean, it must've played out that way because the Cursed Priestess says "Do not fear the horrors of the past, for you have already bested them", as if she knows that the changes had happened.

Having said that, the monkeys aren't there when you initially arrive, meaning you mustn't have released them in the past in the first place, meaning the player wasn't there or never progressed, meaning Zhamla would've broken the barrier and the Cursed Priestess wouldn't have been locked in stone, therefore you would've had no time rifts to open and realise that the monkeys weren't there.

Paradox?

I believe some of the later dialogue describes Tai Ming as being cursed itself alongside the Priestess. Thus the zone is allowed to magically break some rules of time since time itself was being affected.

The monkeys are both dead and alive in this cursed Tai Ming, and it is up to the player to well, play out the events correctly.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I didn't want to bring up quantum entanglement, damnit :(

The way I'd see it, in the present, the monkeys should already be there, as in the past (which has already happened) the player let them out - regardless of whether or not the switch has been flicked. Eventually, for the player to progress, they have to hit it. Having said that, for non-obligatory things like fetching Miki's ball, we have no idea whether the player has or hasn't hit the switch, so we end up with entangled states.

This is why I don't like the idea of travelling back in time. As far as we know, time only goes forwards and no-one's ever proved otherwise :mad:

Sykper

Green Slime
I didn't want to bring up quantum entanglement, damnit :(

The way I'd see it, in the present, the monkeys should already be there, as in the past (which has already happened) the player let them out - regardless of whether or not the switch has been flicked. Eventually, for the player to progress, they have to hit it. Having said that, for non-obligatory things like fetching Miki's ball, we have no idea whether the player has or hasn't hit the switch, so we end up with entangled states.

This is why I don't like the idea of travelling back in time. As far as we know, time only goes forwards and no-one's ever proved otherwise :mad:

Creative freedom helps. If it makes you feel better, the Goddess's Curse, right at the moment it is activated and the Priestess was turned to stone, allowed Quantum Entanglement to occur. Each placement of the player prior, during and after the spell's activation is part of the curse.

Though, I gotta say, I feel kinda bad for the Mimic, chronologically it had to witness the same player come back after each of its 'all out' attacks across hundreds of years. It's just trying to take a nap guys! Don't you know Mimics need at least 1001 years of straight beauty sleep?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Creative freedom is what gives rise to modern art, something I'm also not a fan of. Realism or grounds in reality is what I prefer, or sufficient obfuscation that there's nothing to be picked apart. Hence why I'm fine with spells and magic - they never give enough information about what spells are and how they come about that I literally have no evidence to work from :p

gearflight

Green Slime
Summary: Finally, finally, the third zone is done and the temple is "complete" in the story sense! Protip if you ever want to make a game that takes a billion years to finish: make only bosses and cutscenes. So without further ado, here's a patch full almost only bosses and cutscenes!

Recommended level: around 21-23

Update Description

Copypaste disclaimer: This is one of those real Frontline updates, meaning the polish level is at maybe 80 % or so. Place holder sounds, some missing effects, etc! Old timers know what to expect!

Also note: Just like with the crafting recipes, the items sold by the shop NPCs will be changed a bit later on! We'll definitely add some new baseline equipment, and some new hats.

Not much to say about this one. It's quite short playtime wise but very... "thick" with content. It feels a bit underwhelming to release after such a long time, honestly, but hopefully when looked back upon this last piece of this very strange "temple" will feel worth the massive amount of time and effort that went into it!

Now, the boss(es) in this patch is in a very unclear state for us. They might be too easy, or too hard, and we have ideas for solving both cases, but we truly can't tell right now! In other words, we very much appreciate feedback on the patch right here in the thread! When you provide feedback for enemy encounters, please also add your level and build!

Some minor changes were made to some dialogues/descriptions get rid of some lore inconsistencies, and to once and for all make the timeline in the different panels correct! The translation crews in particular might be interested in exactly what 'lore' changes were made, and for everyone else please advise that we've merged the two characters Aline and Tannie into one:

Flying Fortress panels now name Tannie as Pine's protegé instead of Aline (they got merged)

Some minor changes were made to a couple Flying Fortress panels

Dates changed in pretty much all panels, including those in Mt Bloom

Bishop used to say that even he couldn't make out the shadow in the player's fate, but... we just didn't like that line so we changed it a bit!

Lurifix no longer receives the "Emblem of Valor", since that name is used for a different item in Tai Ming

The third Caveling Treasure is now called Monyplix's Manifesto in a reference to his hand in making the caveling the master tricksters they have become

Tessen now calls the house where you get the Emblem of Loyalty "the House of Citizens", just like the guard from Zone 1 does.

The Cursed Priestess has a slightly different introduction, since we felt her mentioning the Crown was a bit strange considering... stuff.

/taiming3reset will reset the third zone and place you at the end of the second
/mimicreset will reset the boss
/zhamlareset will reset Zhamla

Here are the patch notes:

Hotfix 03/27/2017
  • Angel's Thirst now actually gives the ATK bonus it says it does
  • Shiidu no longer lets itself be manipulated by the style slot
  • Standing behind the second mimic as the time shifts no longer leaves the player stuck inside the wall
  • Saving Shiidu during the fight now correctly stops additional enemies from spawning when it's over
  • You no longer become trapped in the arena after completing a challenge inside

Hotfix 03/26/2017
  • Game no longer crashes if returning to second zone
  • Game no longer crashes if you try to talk to Bishop, or the priests chanting
  • Enemies should once more respawn in the second zone of Tai Ming
  • A certain boss name is no longer Giant Thorn Worm
  • You now get the enemy entry of the temple boss after defeating it
  • Missing cards should hopefully be back

Additions
  • The third part of Tai Ming is now playable!
  • The first two parts of Tai Ming now have most of their sound effects added
Changes
  • There are no longer any GUN-D4M projectiles that goes through a Perfect Guard
  • A player stuck inside a slime prison can now wiggle to quicken release
  • Unique items gained from chests and quests can no longer be dropped (traded), but most can still be sold
  • Shockwaves (like from the Living Puzzle Block) can now be reflected with a perfect guard
  • Giga Slime's hammer strike can now be perfect guarded without breaking the shield
  • Giga Slime (all versions) should now function better in multiplayer with high latency (100+ ping)
  • "The living puzzle block should now function better in multiplayer with high latency (100+ ping)
  • When farming in the same area, the amount of respawn slots occupied by an enemy now differs between enemies, and if they are Elites
  • Two Elite Echoes of Madness can no longer spawn at the same time
  • The Thorn Worm return-damage now has a maximum equal to the power of the enemy attack
  • There's been a number of minor changes to flavor text/dialogue for better lore consistency - nothing that changes the overall story
  • For a moment after zoning, Frosty Friends won't block players
  • Clouds and Frosty Friends now have 'safe zones' in a lot of cutscenes, where they go to not block the view of the action
Bug Fixes
  • Mundi and the artifacts now have the common sense to flee the scene when the Giant Thorn Worms appear
  • The Giant Thorn Worms and their appendages now obey the damage number settings
  • Teleporting away from Tai Ming during the first few introduction cutscenes no longer softlocks the game
  • Steam Friends playing a different version (Frontline vs Stable) is now marked as such to avoid confusion with failed connects
  • Using Gold charge Heroic Slams in multiplayer now looks proper for the other players
  • Killing Giga Slime while it's in the air no longer leaves its shadow behind
  • Respawning in the past after dying in Tai Ming: Inner City no longer removes player collision
  • Typing in text prompts with movement bound to letter keys should now work better
  • The lobby chat scroll bar has been released from the asylum and should now work properly
  • Exiting the game in the middle of the Santa Fae cutscene no longer soft locks the game
  • Dead players no longer have superfluous empty healthbars above their heads
  • In Arcade Mode, having the Pet Fae active while receiving a reward from Bishop should no longer crash the game
  • Removing stuff from quickslots with a controller now actually removes what you've selected!
  • Static touch cubes no longer permanently disappear after phase shifting into a barrel
  • Teleporting into Mount Bloom now properly triggers 'Go to MtBloom' quest objectives
  • Enemy shield damage will no longer show despite damage numbers being turned off
  • Summons should no longer try to kill the corpses of certain defeated bosses
  • Ivy no longers stands up at the table to stare at players if they talk to her after her cutscene
  • Using certain timerifts in Tai Ming Inner City should no longer deactivate the enemies at the entrance
  • Elite Echoes will no longer get locked in by the puny barriers of mortals
  • The Insect Swarm now properly damages the Giant Thorn Worms
may i ask how do i actually use the reset command in game so i can go back to taiming