Viable Builds in Hard Mode Discussion

Devenir

Green Slime
I decided to rewrite this post as the last one seemed a bit ranty.

Atm, I'm using exclusively Insect Swarm. This spell alone got me to the start of Seasonne. I think this spell trumps any other spell in terms of safety and reliability. I noticed in Hard I get mobbed a lot more frequently so I just went down the list of spells and releveled several times before I realized Insect Swarm is probably the best solo spell. It is not necessarily the best grind spell because it isn't aoe but it single-handedly is the spell that helped me beat the Sentry and Gundam (imo, Sentry has given me the most trouble thus far).

For those of you who play solo Hard, which skills/spells have been working for you?

Last edited:

Cheynas

Rabby
I don't really consider Frost Nova a 'safer' spell to use than, say, Ice Spikes or Chain Lightning.

I think they're all good in different situations, and that I don't really have any more or less problem in Hard Mode depending on the skills I've picked... though it might be because I'm playing carefully, and have gotten the just-guard timing down pretty well.

And no, I'm not saying I never die... I'm saying that I don't consider myself to have much problem.

Edit: I'm playing lots of thematic builds, such as my "Shadow Warrior" one I'm enjoying a lot.
Shadow Clone + Spirit Slash + Dodging Strike

Last edited:

Devenir

Green Slime
I mean Frost Nova is safe in that when you get mobbed, which happens all the time in Hard Mode, the spell allows you to knock back, slow, and potentially freeze them while doing good damage. Spikes and Lightning are really good spells and can be used at a distance, I agree. I think I value Frost Nova much more because as I was writing that post, I was doing the Potion Guy quest and let me tell you, if you don't have spells that are safe and/or can knock back, the quest guy dies instantly. I recently reached the Toy Machine boss and it has reaffirmed my belief that a lot of skills are practically useless there. I don't think Frost Nova, Spikes, or Chain Lightning will be of any use in there.

I just beat the Machine with Insect Swarm. This spell is probably the most viable on Hard for bosses/events. SoG reminds me of the game Raiden the scrolling shooter where 90% of your focus should be on dodging stuff. Machine would probably be just as easy with high burst builds like Shadow Clone where you can do a lot of damage while moving.

It turns out Spirit Slash is even better than Swarm. Just tried it with /respec.

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I don't use any other skills than Shadow Clone and Cloud Strike. I think they are a nice combo for killing stuff quickly and I've used that combo since they added Shadow Clone. :p When it comes to killing bosses this build (which focus on single target DPS) is absolutely amazing until you start dealing with the green presents in the Toy Factory because you will have a 90% chance of hitting a dropped bomb by accident.

To be honest I wouldn't really recommend this build since it's more frustrating to use than any other combo I've tested because of the short range, the constant struggle in the Toy Factory (because of the bombs), the cloud pulling aggro from GUND4Ms hands (which cause them to attack you more frequently when you're trying to dodge all his other attacks), you can't use any other spells because you've run out of mana, you won't be able to have both active at max charge unless you use something that boosts your max mana, one skill is magic damage and one skill is physical damage which means that you can only deal good damage with one of the two skills or deal mediocre damage with both (which is why I think that hybrid builds will fall off later into the game as the damage gap between level 1 and level 30 will be to big for a skills normal damage to be efficient), the constant repositioning and the constant use of the shield to keep you alive.

#rant #walloftext

Devenir

Green Slime
Hey thanks for the reply Cheynas and Goodstuff. The last sentence just resonates with me, Goodstuff lol. It is as you say, this game is moving towards a more fast paced, tons of stuff on the screen, constant repositioning and shielding gameplay and we can see this clearer with each new boss (can start see glimpses of this at Slime Boss). I hope for your sake and other melee players that there won't be too many boss mechanics like the bombs that completely hinder you from doing damage 90% of the time. In fact, I tried a 2hand melee in that boss fight. It didn't go well at all.

i tried hard with some builds. First my Elemental Mage its insect swarm+fireball+earth spike with some specific talents you can burst the enemies away :) Second was the same build Cheynas told us Shadow Clone+Spirit Slash+Piercing Dash (another skill like Cheynas build) i picked piercing dash because dodging strike is like you jump back and then your at the same position before you use the skill and piercing dash is like you dash forward through enemies i think its better for your positioning. that was the best 2 builds to complete hardmode if your lvl 17 or something you can change to a HighEndDmg Build with 2h but the enemies make a lot of dmg so dont try it with lvl 6-13 :) so it dont fit here but its my actual farming build with 2h because my highest crit was 3500 on yetis with a skill of course, normal hit makes 1300 dmg critical :).