Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

Own

May 19

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.se/2016/05/tai-ming-boss-planning-giant-worm.html

New boss post! Some squirmy wormy thing. Seems neat. Though:

Special: We're not 100% sure about this yet, but hopefully it'll be cool! So, after you've dealt enough damage, the worm will summon another worm to the playfield, making the challenge twice as hard! Double the boss, double the fun, right...? :)

Summoning another boss worm makes the boss seem not quite so impactful. "Oh, there's plenty of these worms around, this guy is nothing special" :p

Maybe after you deal 50% damage to it, a chunk of it's body splits into half and both halves sink underground? The other half grows it's own head and keeps fighting, HP bar below splits in half. In hard mode, each section could split again at 50% of it's own HP bar for a total of 4? Or maybe just 3.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Can I just point out that worms can't do this in real life. Apparently that's still a myth that's going round :p Also, you have exactly the same idea as the person who replied to the post, yet this was posted after his reply... coincidence? :confused:

Own

Oh. Huh. I thought about the slicing-in-half thing when I saw the post earlier in the day, but didn't have time to post it here just yet. Didn't see that comment.

Anyhow, I'm sure fantasy worm boss could play off the myth well enough. :D

Own

May 26

The past comes in many flavors. What do you prefer?

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.se/2016/05/time-travel-flashbacks.html

Personally I favor #2. The past is only usually portrayed as black and white due to old television, the washed out color looks so much better to me. It's a fading memory, the details aren't quite as sharp as they used to be. :) 'To The Moon' handled the past this way. But since everyone is used to the past being sepia, maybe #1 or #5 is better overall.

What I wonder is, will time tears open up all across the world when we're done with Tai Ming? Could be interesting to find them and whack them for some optional backstory, anywhere from months to decades to centuries ago. Whacking one in your home to see another Charlotte/Dad scene would be kind of bittersweet, as would whacking one in Fairy Village for Charlotte.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I don't feel like you can get away with sepia without adding in a few visual artefacts here and there :p. I like that rather than it being all bright, happy and colourful, instead #2 and #3 look like the game has taken a dark turn and has gotten more serious, which is why I'd prefer those two to the others. I never really was a big fan of sepia anyway though.

I'm also not particularly representative of the fan base either, so I shouldn't really be the one you listen to :D

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I like #4. It has normal colors with sepia filter applied. The amount of sepia should be maybe adjusted, but I like the idea.

Own

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
So, this randomly popped in my mind.

What I wonder is, will time tears open up all across the world when we're done with Tai Ming?

If we will be able to create these "flashbacks", that means we might be able to control time around some particular areas, which means we might be able to create "flashforwards" too. If so, the mystery of climbable plants is solved. We will be able to alter time around them to make them grow, by opening a time-hole. Seems legit...?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I think the planned feature was to have them by spring season orbs, which doesn't involve the future, and therefore leaves out any potential plot spoilers :p However, a glimpse of the future might be a neat touch just for those who decide to look around for extra loot.

Own

June 8

Isn't she lovely? :D Do you think Magic Knight Rayearth is worth playing these days, or does it hold up @Vilya?

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.se/2016/06/portrait-of-weapon-saleswoman.html

June 9

A creepy new enemy approaches.

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.se/2016/06/a-new-enemy.html

I'm a little confused... I thought the monkey was serving the purpose of the tank / brawler? But I don't mind a new enemy at all.

Bush, statue, worm, monkey, shadow. Is this going to be the first area with five actual, unique enemies? (Excluding the palette swapped season wizards :p)

Own

Oh, I just noticed this...

These are all super WIP, and for now he only has one attack, which is a kind of dash.

If you guys are trying to think of a secondary attack, how about an anti-running-away / anti-distance tactic? Or just engaging the player quickly when they first get noticed.

upload_2016-6-10_0-37-37.png

Vanish, reappear ahead of where a player is going and extremely quickly the weapon follows. Dive to the side if you don't want to be run through. Sort of like a Weapon Toss. Except the reverse. Tosses himself and his weapon follows. :D