Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vilya, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Own

Own Moderator

http://www.vilyaroo.com/2018/06/desert-enemy-preview.html

Few thoughts.

Slime - It's spin attack doesn't appear to do anything new. It seems to spin at roughly the same distance and speed as the ice slimes charge. It isn't immune or doesn't take reduced damage while in spin more, and... I may be wrong, but it only spins in cardinal directions?

This slime would stand out more if it's spin attack targeted where a character was, spun to that spot and only stopped spinning when it reached that spot, not changing it's course even if the player moves. Taking significantly reduced damage when in spin mode, too, making it only truly vulnerable between spins. It needs... something more than being mostly an ice slime, but that's just looking at a single image.

Bird - A bee that generates more bees is already one of the most annoying boss battles in the game, not necessarily difficult but tedious. :p Please don't go that route, especially since players are unlikely to get anything for killing the spawned foes.

An idea could be to have an assortment of eggs laid, with the type of egg laid hinted at by the pattern of five dots on the egg.

X formation: Upon hatching, explodes fire in the surrounding intercardinal directions. Bomberman-style.
    + formation: As above, but in the four cardinal directions.
    ^ formation: Bursts into a goopy yellow mess that gives any monster that moves through it a significant amount of buffs.
    v formation: Bursts into a goopy white mess that reduces the stats of characters who walk through it for a while. Ewwww.
    ? formation: Bursts out a random plant monster. I guess it's been eating some exotic seeds.
    Star-shaped formation: 1% chance of being laid, only on the first egg each bird lays. Hatches into a golden egg item if not broken. sell for a tidy profit.

2. KoBeWi

KoBeWi Jumpkin

I like this quote:
    >adding another Rabby clone, just like Jumpkins, Presents and Mushrooms
    >adding another slime
    >Bird itself is basically a bee clone

3. Own

Own Moderator

I was hoping for a little more complexity with the desert area too, yeah. They seem a bit basic in the previews from the enemies we've been squaring off against. If an enemy type returns I always hope it gets some kind of new gimmick. Shroomies scattering blinding mushrooms, for example.

An ice slime that spins instead of lunging but still appears mechanically the same and a bee that lays bees, not even able to dive up/down or maybe intercardinal directions, looks a bit simple at first glance. I'm sure the Elite versions will each have some extra oomph to them, but...

... no one fights elite versions of enemies unless they're actively grinding in an area, or in arcade mode. No elites have a chance to spawn when the screen is entered, and adding in mandatory elites to fight as a result of the story isn't something we've had outside of wave-rooms in Tai Ming. :(

Edit Wait, Rabby clone? The cactus doesn't aggro on anything, it just bounces around at random shooting off spikes. That's a new enemy type.

4. KoBeWi

KoBeWi Jumpkin

http://www.vilyaroo.com/2018/07/ghost-ship-planning-enemies.html
    Pls add a fish that will flop around helplessly like Magikarp and slap you with its tail if you get too close :fish:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  5. Own

Own Moderator

6. KoBeWi

KoBeWi Jumpkin

http://www.vilyaroo.com/2018/07/a-strange-dream.html
    First idea I had in mind was Frore Ciele from Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. This is a really weird location accessed through some portal. Graphically it has eerie feel, the music is calm and somewhat unpleasant and your character looks like a ghost. It's never explained or even implied in game whatever is this place. It's just there.

Another inspiration might be nightmare battle in Iconoclasts. Your heroine is shot with some fear-inducing alien gun and has to defeat nightmares in her head.

Other than that, I agree with the second comment under the post XD

7. The G-Meister

The G-Meister Giga Slime

No full horror thanks. If I got any inclination this game had horror in it I'd never have bought it in the first place.

8. Own

Own Moderator

I think the game can safely have a horror zone in it on the level of the Kakariko Village Well Dark Dungeon from Ocarina of Time. Or Alternate Fourside from Earthbound.

9. KoBeWi

KoBeWi Jumpkin

How about adding division and when dividing by 0 the statue will break and open a path?

Vilya likes this.
  10. Own

Own Moderator

http://www.vilyaroo.com/2018/11/enemy-progress.html

Sailsword - Just stands and slashes at you. The Season Knights and Echo of Madness are more complex. Hope to see him getting at least one additional attack. Maybe tossing his blade in a circular arc before it returns to him. Or, in the spirit world, his slashes wound the world itself - leaving behind inky black gashes in the air for several seconds. Touching these inflicts damage while in the spirit realm?

Ghost 2.0 - Slowing field areas was introduced as a mechanic in the second bossfight of the game. It's been brought back in Flying Fortress, Pillar Mountains Queen Bee and the Desert. It feels... a little late in the game to just have this be a slow effect, and also a little played out after already dealing with the birds from the previous area using it. A few options, with or without the slow effect.

Ectoprison - For a few seconds after touching the goop, you cannot shift between the world of life and spirit.

Nightmare Fuel - Touching this goop temporarily robs you of your sanity. You begin to see additional Ghosty (or other, possibly even enemies from earlier areas in the game?) monsters that are not truly there. They will attack you but not be able to hit you or be shielded by you. These visions fade when the debuff runs out. I think it'd be pretty great to touch the goop and see an Echo of Madness, Vilya, Marino, Freddy, Teddy or even an elite boar terrorizing the player.

Mage - Looks awesome.

Crab - Nice to see an enemy that'll remain consistent between worlds!

Vilya likes this.
  11. KoBeWi

KoBeWi Jumpkin

+1 for this :naniva: