Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
OMG!!! GIVE US THE PATCH!!! NOW!!!!!! That looks like so much fun! I can't wait to play this!

The autum combo looked extra fun and broken. XD Maybe you could add more random movements to the tornado+knight combo and disable players or other knights to get stuck in the same tornado? Maybe you could lower the damage and add a bigger knockback if you block an attack so that it works sort of like the Giga Slime spinning attack?

I also think that the season changing enemy sounds OP. Can't you just add in random thunder strikes that hit the orbs and change the season instead? Maybe you could have a invincible statue that don't attack but still has some magical powers that it's drawing from the monsters alive in the room so it will stop changing the seasons when all enemies are dead?

Own

So a monster that changes the seasons, an obstacle that can be dealt with by killing it, is OP.

But something completely beyond the control of the player that they can't deal with and is determined purely by luck is okay?

I don't understand.

GarlicJelly

So a monster that changes the seasons, an obstacle that can be dealt with by killing it, is OP.

But something completely beyond the control of the player that they can't deal with and is determined purely by luck is okay?

I don't understand.

Have you fought the wisps? They are by far the worst enemies in the game and I hate their moving pattern. To have an annoying enemy just like that but with more movementspeed that you have to deal with is just not something I wanna have to worry about. If the seasons change and there's nothing I can do to stop them then that's one less thing I have to worry about. I would rather have the statue than the monster. To me the statue sounds more balanced as players wouldn't be forced to kill a special enemy first or if the enemy isn't causing you any problems then you would just not focus it and then the point of the enemy becomes pointless. Also nobody said that the statue has to be random. It could be changing the season every 15 seconds or maybe quicker so that the different monster combos are used a lot and then those combos would create a tougher fight if that's what you want.

I understand that the monster would create different ways to deal with a fight but I don't really feel like I need more choises in a battle than the ones I have right now.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I think having an enemy change seasons is better, as i favor being in control. Being able to chose to kill the "SeasonChanger" is better in my opinion then having to rely on randomness that can't be stopped.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator

The Other Waitress
-What other waitress? -

Some of you might have a distant memory of this character, but for most people she's probably all new. That's because she isn't even in the game yet!

This nameless girl helps Loretta out in Evergrind's café, serving its ... "many" customers. Here's what her current in-game portrait and sprite looks like:
01-InGame.png
This "new" waitress can be seen at:
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/12/the-other-waitress.html

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator

Today we have two new sprites for Amalet and Emily​

Amalet the Amulet
"Are you Male, Female, Bag or even an Amulet? No one gets excluded here. Vilya gives everyone a new portrait."​
01-InGame.png

Obey the almighty Amalet and read everything about his new portrait over at: http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/12/amalet-amulet.html

Emily, Lover of Hats
"Is lucky enough for this very small town to have such an exquisite tailor of hats"
01-InGame.png

A fine selection of the work in progress can be seen at: http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/12/emily-lover-of-hats.html

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Hydra Boss Testing!
- whispers: "Heil Hydra" -
SPOILER ALERT: If you want the mechanics of this upcoming battle to be a complete surprise, you should probably stop reading now!

This boss has three different heads: summer, winter and autumn. Each of them have one normal attack, which basically works like a headbutt. Depending on the season, each head will also gain a special attack: the summer head will only use its special attack when it's summer, the winter head will only use its special attack when its winter, and so on.​

Summer Head
LimpEthicalArctichare.gif

Wanna see the special attacks from the other heads and some insight on how this battle will work?
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/12/hydra-boss-testing.html

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator

The Card Shark Griddle
You guessed it: time for another portrait! This time it's the card player Griddle who is in need of a new version.
01-InGame.png
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2014/12/the-card-shark-griddle.html
Okay guys! Christmas is coming up and today I'm going to visit my parents for a few days. Once I'm back I'll probably return to work pretty fast, but since it's the holidays I'm gonna take a break from blogging in order to get some extra relax & recharge time :)

The blog will be back on January 5th, with a new year of developing Secrets of Grindea! See you then :D

GarlicJelly

A New Portrait: Autumn Fae
Another thing needed for the cutscenes we're working on is a new portrait! More characters, yay! This time I was tasked with creating an upset-looking autumn fae. So here goes!
http://vilyaroo.blogspot.de/2015/01/a-new-portrait-autumn-fae.html
This new autumn fae is confusing me. His face looks young but his hairstyle makes him look old, he looks skinny but he still has some fairly sized boobs. This is of course my personal opinion but I think it looks weird when you blend opposite stereotypes (in this case old + young and fat + skinny). I'm not saying that you have to change anything but I just wanted you to know my first impression with the new portrait. :)