[Visual] Marino unleashes his final form in multiplayer.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That's some super saiyan bullshit glitchin' right there! o_O

Those guys managed to harness it into some good comedy though

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Bonus question, has anyone on here seen him behave this way (since January)? He doesn't do any of these things when I simulate lag, but it's possible the simulation isn't flawless!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Wait... you have a lag simulator?! I'm sure it's a dev version only feature, but what does it do? Limit the memory available to the game, massively delay connection times or what?

I don't think I've ever fought Marino in multiplayer, but I'll try to rally up a few people and go testing. I'll also try local multiplayer with myself.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Aha! It looks like it's to do with the fact that players 2-4 see the animation where he jumps around and dashes sideways incorrectly. If you look in the video at 1:30, you see he's stuck at the side when they die. I did a 4 player local multi and the same issue happens. If you watch the hosts screen, everything happens normally, but he glitches out at the side for the rest of the crew until he does another attack. The orders are top left P1, top right P2, bottom left P3, bottom right P4. All audio is from P2:

If you keep watching on P2-4 you'll see he slides into position afterwards to attack P4.

While playing I also encountered a few other bugs with him. If players stand still too close together, his AI bugs out as he doesn't know which one to attack. He'll move back and forth between them and won't make his mind up. He also sometimes makes his "fwaa!" sound that he makes before his dash combo when finishing his dash combo for P2-4.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Do you think it is connected to him killing someone with the glitched attack? Or did he do that consistently and you just happened to upload a clip where the first slide-strike killed its target?

When playing 4-player myself just now, I didn't manage to bug him out that way, but I did get him to go over the wall a couple of times (which is bad enough in itself)! I'll have to take a gooood look at this fight and see how I can re-code it.

I already did, once, but I obviously didn't test it enough!

Wait... you have a lag simulator?! I'm sure it's a dev version only feature, but what does it do? Limit the memory available to the game, massively delay connection times or what?

It's not something so fancy! It's a Lidgren feature that basically adds a delay to all messages sent between windows (I currently run 150-180 ping in Debug mode when doing multiplayer tests). This has helped quite a bit in helping stable connections with high latencies being a bit more enjoyable.

My hopes are that most connections on the same continent should be decently playable (like NY to CA in USA, or Sweden to Spain in Europe)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I thought it was the attack in general, but re-watching some of his other dashes (I recorded about 5 minutes of the fight) it seems that this effect only activates when he kills someone with the attack. In fact, in his multiplayer only spin-the-sword-dash, the same thing happens, but because it's only a single dash, it's less noticeable. He sorta slides to one side a bit further than usual then cuts to his walking animations and pursues his next victim.

I didn't get any decently visible kills from the swipe combo or dash into swipe combo, but I wouldn't be surprised if possibly the animation locks up a bit. I'll go do a bit more testing.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Nope, neither of those two attacks have any noticeable issues, possibly because they both do damage and then cut straight back into an attacking animation. However, at one point he killed someone on the last strike of his combo, and as soon as he did the damage, the animation immediately stopped and he walked a bit before going into his 4 jumpy dashes. This was visible to P1 and P2, at 3:32 and 2:10 in the video.

Also, another new thing. When he does his 4 jumpy dashes, if he is against a wall and dashes for a player against the same wall, he can dash up or down instead of sideways, as shown at 0:45, which seems like odd behaviour. If it isn't, then that can bug out even further, with him going up on P2's screen, whereas sideways on P1's screen at 2:25. This happens twice in the same jumpy dash combo.

Oh yeah, the audio is out of sync a bit, and is of the host (the smaller screen).