[Visual] Some distorted sprites

Jenkolegs

Rabby
So what happened was I did /taimingreset then tried to speed-run it. (Got the Plantae Hostilis card, can't wait for the art!) I skipped all the cut-scenes then when I arrived to the inner city, there was some strange distorted sprites which weren't meant to be there. I think I just went to fast.

I compacted it into one picture, sorry if it's messy.
Floor.png

Frontline Beta
Story Mode
Tai Ming: Inner City

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I'm pretty sure this is a bug related to the preloading that was added a few patches ago!

There are two categories of bugs that are the true hellspawn of the bugscape: multiplayer bugs and threading bugs. Both kinds are massively tough to reproduce. For threads, the precision to reproduce certain bugs comes down to milliseconds...

I think I've found out why your bug happened @The G-Meister - a situation where two threads fought over the same set of textures because one of the loading functions (the one handling portraits) couldn't identify if it was in a preloader thread or not. I hope fixing that solves the portrait issue... but I can't be certain, because *drumroll* these things can't be reproduced! :D

As for @Jenkolegs breed of the bug... it's something similar yet different. It's interesting because the affected textures, seemingly a statue and a sakura tree, should have already been loaded into Zone 1, where by the sound of things they looked perfectly fine! I'll have to let this one marinate in my mind for a bit.

Jenkolegs

Rabby
So if I get the right timing, can i reproduce the glitch? And can it work in different areas?

Update: My game crashed while loading the same character.

Last Update: The game is back to normal.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
So if I get the right timing, can i reproduce the glitch? And can it work in different areas?

The bug can absolutely be reproduced in theory, because it has a cause and effect, it's just that its cause require timings that's beyond what can be controlled, so to speak.

Depending on your system, you may be able to reproduce it somewhat consistently but with different textures. It's likely mostly dependent on how fast your HDD is: a very slow HDD means the thread will work longer with each loaded texture, and the risk of a collision increases.

If it can be reproduced in other areas depends on what the bug actually is! If it's caused by the game preloading things of the same region it's already in, then it can only happen in Tai Ming.

If you happen to reproduce it, I welcome all additional info I can get!

Well, I got my instance of this happening.

e6c06567ec.png

8028e0cbdb.png

7aef841934.png

I'm impressed that 80% of a house just managed to become garbled up into a glitched mess of pixels.

However, the game is on my SSD. So was I just incredibly (un)lucky to get it?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
If you've got an SSD, they're pretty damn fast. Assuming that's true, it might not be dependent as much on read speed as we might think.

[Edit]: Was just having a chat with @Sairek Ceareste on Discord and he hays his issue appeared when loading into Tai Ming from the menu. Unless there's any from of pre-load going on in the menu, then this might completely rule out the possibility of it involving the new pre-load function.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Was just having a chat with @Sairek Ceareste on Discord and he hays his issue appeared when loading into Tai Ming from the menu. Unless there's any from of pre-load going on in the menu, then this might completely rule out the possibility of it involving the new pre-load function.

The game does in fact preload from the menu, and there was a couple of colliding loader threads present there which should now be fixed. Hopefully this issue won't happen after the next patch!