What's with the huge influx of Japanese players?

Own

Did the game get published in Japan by some site like Playism? Or did it get written up by some Japanese games media?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Did the game get published in Japan by some site like Playism? Or did it get written up by some Japanese games media?
Or maybe the japanese translation pushed that little extra for the game and drew in a lot of players that have problems with english? I don't know, but is sure is cool to see some new people joining in on the fun. ^^

TsReaper

Boar
Vastly increased number of japanese topics on Steam.
Actually...They are Chinese topics.

There is a "game anchor" (Someone who records his game playing experience and uploads it to the website. I don't know how to say it in English.) who uploaded some videos about Secrets of Grindea on a famous Chinese video website, so then more people in China know about this game and cause the influx.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Slightly off topic question to @TsReaper!

Late last year Steam introduced prices and payments in Renminbi ('Yuan', for those confused). How much would you say this move has affected the way Chinese players use Steam? Was it a big deal?

TsReaper

Boar
Late last year Steam introduced prices and payments in Renminbi ('Yuan', for those confused). How much would you say this move has affected the way Chinese players use Steam? Was it a big deal?
Uh...I myself just begin to use steam this year. But as far as I know, it does affect Chinese players.

Before Steam introduced prices and payments in Renminbi, there are many players using pirated game copies. Since it's easier and cheaper (about 50% off compared with America) to buy games on Steam with Renminbi and the prices of games are acceptable for most Chinese players, more and more people are starting to buy genuine game copies on Steam.

This is just a start, there are still many people who are unwilling to pay for games. But at least the atmosphere of playing genuine game copies are getting better in my eyes. I think Steam will change Chinese people's minds about games and copyrights one day unless it's banned because of some policies in China.

(Just my personal thought haha...Maybe my analysis is wrong since I'm not very good at social science.)

Last edited: