Whispers of the World: Music!

Own

A while back Vilya created a blogpost wherein she wanted to add little inspectables all around the world, bits of flavor text amidst scenery. I think it was decided against because it risked adding popups everywhere that people might be conditioned to ignore, since it was just text.

I've been asking for an in-game jukebox for our houses and arcade mode as well. Something to let people sift through and enjoy all of Riley's amazing songs, set it as their homes song.

Assuming Vilya is still interested in adding those inspectables and writing flavor text throughout the game, I think I know of a way that might combine both thoughts for the NG+ update.

Megaman & Bass on the GBA had a system where you could find little discs all throughout the game to unlock the games songs for your listening pleasure. Genshin Impact does this as well, spincrystal discs hidden everywhere. A lot of other games probably do this that I can't name off the top of my head do this as well.

Riley has composed about 100 songs in the game and there's a great big world out there full of places to inspect for flavor text. So, I suggest that Mumrik or Riley should offer you a Harmonizer. If you have this (Accessory Equipped / Useable Item enabled / just have this thing in your inventory?), when you explore the world and get nearby points of interest a little musical note inspectable will pop up. After reading the flavor text something like "You've discovered a whisper of the world" pops up and you're awarded a musical track for that area to use in a jukebox in your home - or possibly to play anywhere you like, if you're in a hardcore grinding session and want a different track to loop? After receiving the melody, the inspectable vanishes, or maybe just displays as a faded music note to designate that it has already been found.

Startington's could be your mother's portrait. Santa Fae's could be in the unused elder hut. Trickier ones, like Season Temple, might only appear under certain conditions - like if the room is in a specific season.

For Arcade Mode songs you might just buy a single-use Harmonizer in town to use on various floors or in various event rooms, to capture a single song per run based on what's playing in the room you're in. Sort of like using the camera.

Discovered Story Mode songs could unlock in Arcade Mode and vice versa, to allow people to get a complete discography.

This system might also allow Riley to add in the unused tracks that never got a time or place to shine in the game, such as the Seasonne Ice Cave song or Pillar Mountains Chiptunes for far rarer, harder to access or trigger inspectables.

I know that ultimately it's just an easier version of treasure maps that you organically discover as you interact with the world, but it's a hundred new things to discover that doesn't require animations or spriting, allows for potential bits of lore to be dropped around within inspectables... and lets people enjoy more of Vilya's writing. :) I think the inspectables thing is perhaps worth revisiting.

Even Fred agrees in the comments of that blogpost listed up there. :naniva:
"When we first started talking about housing and furniture for SoG way back, I think “Oh, and we gotta have a jukebox” was one of the first things we said ;D So your prayers have been answered, jukeboxes for everyone!"

Last edited: