Will (should) healing be implemented in the support skills?

Do you want a healing spell (or two) implemented as support spells?

• Total voters

Iowa

Green Slime
Title pretty much says it all. I love where this game is going so far, however for group play my favorite role to play is support. I'm fully aware that not all the skills have been implemented yet for the support tab, but I'm still curious if there are plans to release a healing spell. Going to leave a poll here just to get a general idea if people even want to see healers as a build path, so let me know what you think!

Own

1. Energy is infinite.
2. Death has no consequence.
3. If healing is introduced, the game has to be balanced around the assumption that you have healing.
4. There are +DEF potions, +DEF gear, +DEF cards, +DEF talents.
5. It's a skill based game, so damage shouldn't be able to easily be undone.

I say no.

Iowa

Green Slime
That definitely has some merit. Maybe if it stalled energy regeneration temporarily so it couldn't be spammed? I really like the idea of healing in this game, but it definitely would need to be implemented in a way that doesn't break the current system.

zjat

Green Slime
Burst healing I could see as an issue as it negates defensive builds as well as healing orbs. Now an over time healing aura or 'warcry' (like the two support spells we do have) would be ok imo. Because to get the benefit of that type of heal, you have to survive the duration of the spell. It would also prevent the spell from being spammed, as support spells currently don't stack with themselves, only refresh the duration.

Iowa

Green Slime
A health regeneration aura sounds fantastic. It wouldn't be overpowered, provides some nice utility and would not require a major revision in the current game balance. Thanks for the feedback!

Keep the replies coming, and don't forget to vote!

Last edited:

Pyrosorc

Green Slime
How about burst healing that works against the current defence system? Say after receiving a heal you have reduced defence/damage/movespeed for a duration?

I love playing support and I'd love a healer role in this game too, but while I think it would be fine in story I do admit it might cause issues in arcade.

What about non-support healing? Perhaps a talent that converts part of your crit damage into self healing, 5% per rank? (The fact it actually reduces your damage output and can't be used outside of combat might make this balanced for arena? Perhaps if you give up twice as much damage as you gain in healing?)

zjat

Green Slime
Instead of a regen aura, it could be a lifesteal aura (melee/basic attacks only), granting 1*level health per hit for the duration of the effect.

Xeri

Green Slime
I defiantly agree that HP regen should be implemented as a support passive, not a huge amount but just enough to help out

CatBug

Rabby
Mabye just a small passive HP regen (Skillpoint not required) that triggers after X seconds out of combat?

Own

That encourages sitting around doing nothing. Which is boring for the player and wastes their time.

Pyrosorc

Green Slime
Yeah I definitely don't like anything that encourages me to not do anything :D Especially for Arcade. I think there's definitely room for healing that can only occur in actual combat though, so long as its well balanced.

Maybe a talent which gives you a small heal each time you successfully perfect block? But that's moving away from support skills a little.

Haxial

Green Slime
War cries / auras FTW. I am very much looking forward to furthering the support skills so we can see more engaged and useful support builds. I FULLY agree that this game is skill based and that needs to be considered when adding any skills that aren't implemented. With that being said, I think that healing is an excellent idea as long as it's fair and keeps the game difficult. Honestly, support players don't usually do much DPS, so, while healing might seem OP the player who's chosen the support path won't be adding much DMG to the party and by being in the party will have made the game harder. By that dynamic, there is already a slight balance. Overall, healing shouldn't be OP and I think the devs are aware that the players like the skill that's required for the game.

So, I agree that healing would be a nice addition as long as the game remains balanced and tough. The more support abilities the more team play is being promoted and that makes a game like this much more enjoyable.

Pyrosorc

Green Slime
There's a key point hidden in there - I can take entirely weapon skills and be a fighter type, or I can take entirely magic spells and be a mage type. I want to also be able to play a pure support role, not just have them be a few useful tips for the other roles.

George

Green Slime
I haven't thought through the full extent of each of these ideas, but I'm just tossing them out there:
  • A small AOE spell that gives players in range the ability to lifesteal for a short duration or small amount
    • Makes sure the players with the buff still have to fight to be able to heal (no passive healing)
    • Maybe make the buff disappear on taking damage (still challenging and skill based to maximize potential)
  • A targeted spell that heals everything in it including enemies
    • Challenge of the support to hit team mates and not enemies
    • Allows for out of battle passive healing (bad)
  • Heal an ally at the expense of your own HP
    • Makes sure you can't heal forever, just as long as you still have HP
I think there are clever ways to incorporate healing and other support abilities into the game that can make it feel rewarding.

EDIT: Just remembered another random idea:
  • Soul Steal - a weak spell that has a cooldown after used. If it lands the killing blow on an enemy, the enemy will drop a minor healing orb (heals for half/third/quarter of a normal orb)
    • Requires skill to land the last hit and not just be able to spam the spell
    • The dropping of an orb (or soul) allows any player to pick it up
    • A reduced healing means it won't provide a huge boost and can't farm them
    • Maybe they disappear after X seconds

Last edited:

Pyrosorc

Green Slime
Another thought - an aura which gives the party lifesteal but which costs the user life over time?
Or if you want to make tanky characters a thing, make all of the life stolen by the party go to the caster?