The Ultimate Talent Suggestion Thread!!!

MatFLint

Green Slime
I think the entire game is balanced around the mechanic of "Prolonging Death". There's no way to cheat your way out of death by undoing damage already taken (unless the game gives you a health orb, but that's no guarantee), but there's plenty of ways to stretch out the distance between HP 1> and HP = 0.

You have DEF potions, Talents, Protect, Cards, Pets and Equipment to reduce damage taken.

You have Equipment, Cards and Pets to raise Max HP.

You have shields to block incoming damage altogether.

You have skills to help manuver out of taking damage (Piercing Dash, Dodging Strike).

In multiplayer you have the ability to ressurect your buddies, if you can find a window to.

You even have ways to distract enemies from hitting you. (Frosty Friend)

Worst case scenario, you have grinding and level-ups to increase your stats.

And most importantly, you have a ton of ways to make enemy HP = 0 before yours does. :D Even if you do die, you just get right back in there knowing new ways to avoid damage.

The only way healing could ever possibly be balanced in SoG is if Energy weren't infinite. Secret of Mana limited your MP and limited the number of MP replenishing items you could carry, but it also balanced it's boss battles under the assumption that you had ways to heal. So they took longer, hit harder and felt more tedious if you did die in the end. Same with Link to the Past and most other RPGs.

In SoG we get shorter and more skill-based boss battles in exchange for not having to worry about HP micromanagement. Memorizing boss patterns and dodging attacks seems so much more satisfying than guzzling a dozen potions or circle-strafing until you can cast Cure while wailing on them, at least to me. :(

Now that you point it out it makes sense, SoG is more of s kill based game where you have to learn how to prolong your death for as long as possible. I've clocked several more hours in the game and I will admit, having to learn the attack patterns and optimizing skills, gear, and strategy to overcome the game is better when you know that every mistake, too slow reation, or getting out maneuvered is going to cost you a little more than a few quick heal spams to fix.

And yea the penalty for death is this game is really just a bit of frustration until you learn how to "make enemy HP = 0 before yours does."

MatFLint

Green Slime
I think the entire game is balanced around the mechanic of "Prolonging Death". There's no way to cheat your way out of death by undoing damage already taken (unless the game gives you a health orb, but that's no guarantee), but there's plenty of ways to stretch out the distance between HP 1> and HP = 0.

You have DEF potions, Talents, Protect, Cards, Pets and Equipment to reduce damage taken.

You have Equipment, Cards and Pets to raise Max HP.

You have shields to block incoming damage altogether.

You have skills to help manuver out of taking damage (Piercing Dash, Dodging Strike).

In multiplayer you have the ability to ressurect your buddies, if you can find a window to.

You even have ways to distract enemies from hitting you. (Frosty Friend)

Worst case scenario, you have grinding and level-ups to increase your stats.

And most importantly, you have a ton of ways to make enemy HP = 0 before yours does. :D Even if you do die, you just get right back in there knowing new ways to avoid damage.

The only way healing could ever possibly be balanced in SoG is if Energy weren't infinite. Secret of Mana limited your MP and limited the number of MP replenishing items you could carry, but it also balanced it's boss battles under the assumption that you had ways to heal. So they took longer, hit harder and felt more tedious if you did die in the end. Same with Link to the Past and most other RPGs.

In SoG we get shorter and more skill-based boss battles in exchange for not having to worry about HP micromanagement. Memorizing boss patterns and dodging attacks seems so much more satisfying than guzzling a dozen potions or circle-strafing until you can cast Cure while wailing on them, at least to me. :(

Now that you point it out it makes sense, SoG is more of s kill based game where you have to learn how to prolong your death for as long as possible. I've clocked several more hours in the game and I will admit, having to learn the attack patterns and optimizing skills, gear, and strategy to overcome the game is better when you know that every mistake, too slow reation, or getting out maneuvered is going to cost you a little more than a few quick heal spams to fix.

And yea the penalty for death is this game is really just a bit of frustration until you learn how to "make enemy HP = 0 before yours does."

The main reason I wanted to get this post out there is because the group I usually play Co-op with constantly complain about the absence of healing in the game.

Captain WaddleDee

Green Slime
Spellweaver - With this talent unlocked, a color surrounds your portrait. Casting spells of this color grant an additional 5/10/15% magical attack on that spell. The color then shifts to another.

Last edited:

Kaladias

Green Slime
Dual Wield: Able to equip a 1-handed weapon in the shield slot. No longer able to block, but gain 12%/24%/36%/48%/60% chance to attack with both weapons at the same time.

HexZyle

Boar
Dual Wield: Able to equip a 1-handed weapon in the shield slot. No longer able to block, but gain 12%/24%/36%/48%/60% chance to attack with both weapons at the same time.

We already have an overpowered damage buff, it's called Shadow clone.

Also, have you ever fought Phaseman, or in that big room with all the whisps, guardians and brawler bots? If you haven't I recommend you do that, and don't use your shield.

Oh, and I'd like to see how you deal with Elite Bees and Halloweed and their associated boss rooms in the Arcade.

Kaladias

Green Slime
I guess I found the bullet dodging rather simple, after growing up playing bullet hell shooters. After clearing the first 2 temples, I've only ever used shield to knock bees down

HexZyle

Boar
Then why would you ever need to block with a damage bonus totalling over 200%?

I get that you want to look cool, but keeping the game reasonably balanced is sort of more important, as well as not giving players an overly attractive skill that ultimately ends up causing a broken build.

Kaladias

Green Slime
Because its not just a damage bonus? its an extra attack, which means an extra chance to proc the bonus effects/crit/hitstun/etc. And it wouldn't result in a broken build. Unless by broken you mean "unable to progress certain puzzle elements".
Trading the ability to block attacks for more damage output forces players to be more mobile and use skills to get around the lack of a block function. Learning how to time your swings to swat down bee's as they swoop into attack you was much more satisfying for me as a player, than just blocking, waiting for it to fall over, and kill it.
It would add more challenge, not take any way. At least in my opinion. You'd be giving up a lot of defensive capability for a moderate increase in damage output.

Last edited:

HexZyle

Boar
No, it makes S rank unachievable to any sap who doesn't use it, and teaches players new to the genre that to win the game you button mash on enemies to kill them before they can retaliate, a mentality that will cause them to whine about the wrong things (like bees or halloweed)

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Some ideas revolved around movement and positioning:

Distance killer - attack/crit bonus the further you are from enemy

Risky strike - attack/crit bonus the closer you are to enemy

Blind blow - damage bonus if facing off enemy when hit happens

Lancer - more damage the longer you run before attack

Face to face - damage bonus when hitting enemy straight into face

Turtle - decreased damage when hit while shielding (but not in the shield)

Fortress - bonus to all stats the longer you stand in place

Deadly axis - damage bonus if aligned to enemy along axis (less diagonal hit = stronger)

Power rush - increased EP regen when moving constantly

Teylor

Green Slime
Since the bow is a secondary weapon, I would like to see more talents that effect bow:

Keen eyes:

- After hitting an enemy with an arrow, the next normal attack gets a 5% damage increase per talent point (max 5 points)

Magic Arrows:

- Arrows have a chance to inflict status effects you are able to do with your normal attacks. 20% Efficiency per talent point (max 5 points).

Hit'n Run:
- After hitting an enemy with an arrow, you gain 10% movement speed per talent point for 3 seconds (max 3 points)

Arrow Collector:
- If you hit an enemy with an arrow, there is a 10% chance per talent point that the arrow doesn't get destroyed and gets dropped on the ground (max 3 points)

Sharpshooter:

- 4% damage increase per talent point for bow attacks (max 5 points)

Some other talents:

Size matters:

- 4% increased area of effect and range for skills/spells (max 5 points)

Well Analyzed:

- 10% less damage per talent point from enemies, when you have their golden card (max 3 points)

Thornmail:
- You gain 5% of your defense per talent point as attack damage (max 5 points)

Weapon Enchantment:
- When you use a magic spell, your weapon gets enchanted with the element you just used, giving the next normal attack a high chance to inflict a status effect, dependent on the element. (max 5 points)
Fire Spell: Next normal attack has a 10% chance per talent point to inflict burning status effect
Ice Spell: Next normal attack has a 10% chance per talent point to inflict chill status effect
Earth Spell: Next normal attack has a 10% chance per talent point to inflict root (enemy can't move, but still attack) status effect
Lightning Spell: Next normal attack has a 5% chance per talent point to inflict stun status effect (2seconds)
Counter:
- When performing a perfect guard, your crit chance is increased by 3 per talent for 3 seconds (max 5 points)

d_nlo

Rabby
Changes on current talents:
General

• Multitasking and Shield Bearer: Combine those two, since those effects are very similar in nature.
  • Fine Taste: Make so that buffs from skills are also affected.
  • Brutality: Increase the damage bonus from criticals already received.
Melee
  • Burning Weapon: Change the Burning effect into Bleeding, and the MATK damage to ATK damage.
  • Chilling Touch: Change the Chilling effect into "Crippling", same effect.
  • Wit: Would be more fitting on another tab.
Magic
  • Battle Mage: Would be more fitting on another tab.
Sugestion on new Talents:
General
  • Guts: Up to 50% chance of not flyinching when receiving an attack.
  • Evasion: Up to 30% chance of evading a ranged attack.
Melee
  • Parry: Up to 100% chance of blocking an attack with a sword swing.
    Every weapon should have a health bar, just like the shield.
  • Brute Force: Up to 20% chance of stunning an enemy with every skill or attack.
  • Wind Cutter: Increase the range of all weapon attacks up to 50%
Magic
  • Soul Drain: Killing an enemy with a magic attack restores up to 10% EP.
  • Maximize Magic: Increase the range and radius of all magic up to 50%
  • Mana Flow: Increase the speed of casting animation, projectile speed and speeds up damage from DoT.
Hybrid

• Magic Sword: Add up to 40% MATK into weapon attack
    • Arcane Chaos: Up to 25% chance of casting a random element bolt while attacking
    • Focused Rage: Up tp 15% increase in ATK and MATK when HP lower than 50%

Last edited:

Ardeof

Rabby
This suggestion is quite biased, as I tend to use summons...

Talent:
Summoner's Synergy
Increases any summoned creatures': Size, Atk, and Health by x%.

Sekibanki

Green Slime
I'd like a skill that rewards proper use of 2 handed shield cancelling, so maybe something like.

Iai
- If attacking very shortly after lowering your shield you gain X% crit or attack

HappyNap

Green Slime
I actually think that it would be possible to make a whole new skilltree; a lot of the talents suggested this far, and also some of the talents in-game revolve around this concept already; alas, i present:

(New skill tree)
FUSION (or Balance etc.)
All "per level" are the x values

Basically, this is the "Magefighter" skill-tree.
Skills like "Wit", "Arcane Charge" and "Battle Mage" would go in here, as well as some other new skills. Examples could be:

Empovered skills:
After casting a spell, gain x% more attack speed for 2 seconds per level (or gain x% more attack speed for x second per level). (The attack speed buff could easely be switched out with % damage buff, but considering the mage version, this might fit together better)

Skillfull casting:
After landing a critical hit (or something like 5 basics attack?), charge the next spell x% faster per level.

Skillfull chaining (might possibly be split into two?):
Casting a spell after a melee skill withing the next 3? seconds makes the next spell deal x% more damage and after Using a melee skill after a spell withing the next 3? makes the melee ability deal x% damage up per level, up til 1/2/3/4/5 chainings. (A chaining is when you switch from melee skill to casting a spell).

KoBeWi's skills "Ki" could also be implemented here, along with a counterpart (im taking the liberty of changing the wording a little :p"
Ki:
2% per level of atk transfers over to matk

Insight:
2% per level of matk transfers over to atk

Thats all i have for now at least; any feedback is appreciated, and i hope people will throw in new skills in this category :p

Greasythemattis

Green Slime
Little thing.

Instead of showing the % rate of completion when selecting a character it should show the relics you already got.

- Wrong thread :(

Last edited:

WaddlyDoo

Green Slime
Explosive Strike (Melee Skill):

2% Chance to strike with AOE damage and knockback. Up to 10%, I would say.