Beta FAQ ~Ask your questions here~

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Only enable it at level 11 then? By then the player will have either two level 5 skills (and will need to open the skill menu to unlock a new skill with their unspent silver point) or will have points spent across a myriad of skills which would really benefit from the Quick Level menu.
Something like that sounds like a good idea! :D

SeeNyu

Green Slime
Can you reach 100% completion at the current version? I have found the gaan'tlet and I belive I have done all side quests and Im around 60%

I am new and I am wondering what is the point of multiplayer? Will there be a way to host a server via steam? (One game I played recently implemented this) Would be useful not to install hamachi like programs

Do items found/crafted (e.g. cards, rare items) count to completion?

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Can you reach 100% completion at the current version?
Yes, completion percentage is (now) always based on what you can do. So if you've done everything you have 100%

what is the point of multiplayer? Will there be a way to host a server via steam
Multiplayer is mainly for fun. It modifies some elements of the game (like adjusting the difficulty), but it has no special multiplayer exlusivity. And (in theory) you can just go to: story/arcade → multiplayer → host → invite.
This invite system checks if any of your friends, that are currently online, own a copy of SoG and then lists them and you can invite them.

Do items found/crafted (e.g. cards, rare items) count to completion?

Here Teddy made a list of stuff that counts towards the completion counter.
http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/74-what-am-i-missing.5026/#post-14075

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Q: are there any Skill-Guides or at least explanations out anywhere? (except the user-written guides @ steam)
What exactly do you mean with skill guides? For detailed information about each skill, there's the "More Information" button after selecting the skill of your choice in-game, but I think that's pretty much it in terms of skill guides in the game :)

Hyperlord

Rabby
What exactly do you mean with skill guides? For detailed information about each skill, there's the "More Information" button after selecting the skill of your choice in-game, but I think that's pretty much it in terms of skill guides in the game :)

Thanks for the fast response!

I'm so new to the game I oversaw that "More Info"-Button ;-)
Sorry for such a dumb question, I'll spent more time this evening really checking out the menu. It was so awfully much at the beginning, I didn't know where to "invest" my points received from LevelUp.

Btw: How do I cash in that "yellow crystals"? I didn't see a skill or spell that "costs" that yellow ones (only purple orbs and blue crystals) ...

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Don't worry, the menu can be quite overwhelming in the beginning :D

Btw: How do I cash in that "yellow crystals"? I didn't see a skill or spell that "costs" that yellow ones (only purple orbs and blue crystals) ...
Once you've put 5 silver points (blue crystals) into a single skill, you will need to use the gold ones to level it further :)

Avos

Green Slime
Hey :D I have found out about this game just yesterday and I have fallen in love with it. I just like everything about it. I've played the beta and have had an incredibly lot of fun. I'm at the flying fortress.

So I know that this is not the kind of question you want to hear, but honestly, I must know this more than anything else really: When will Secrets of Grindea be finished? I'd like to get a rough estimate.

Here are some more questions I have "collected" in a list, during playing the game:
- Will the game feature more languages in the end? I'm german and when I play the game with my brother it would be nice if he could understand everything.
- If you play with a friend, do you have to play the entire game with your friend or can you also play alone?
- Did you get inspired by the legend of zelda series?
- I don't know how the static touch magic skill works. When you have the cubes, what determines wether the cubes attack or not?
- Will it theoretically be possible to maximize ALL skills and talents? How high would your level have to be?
- Can you catch some kind of rare fishes too?
- How much is there in the beta, compared to whats planned for the game?

Last edited:

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
So I know that this is not the kind of question you want to hear, but honestly, I must know this more than anything else really: When will Secrets of Grindea be finished? I'd like to get a rough estimate.
We've given up on giving estimates, as we are terrible at guessing how long it takes to make stuff! As we're only 3 people, small issues like someone getting sick can delay our progress a lot, too. So, rather than giving an estimate we can't keep, we'd rather not give one at all! Sorry :(

- Will the game feature more languages in the end? I'm german and when I play the game with my brother it would be nice if he could understand everything.
Instead of making translations ourselves, we have a translation tool (which is currently being reworked & improved as we speak), which allows fans of the game to make their own translations. Once we've finished the rework of this tool, you'll be able to browse and use translations directly through the game client!

- If you play with a friend, do you have to play the entire game with your friend or can you also play alone?
Nope, you can play any of your characters both in Multiplayer and Single Player!

However, if you're the one joining a friend, only your level and gear will remain, while you'll have to redo the quests. We're currently working on a feature which allows you to skip quests you've already completed in a Multiplayer game. Also, this doesn't apply to the person hosting - his quest progress will be saved. :)

- Did you get inspired by the legend of zelda series?
Yes, very much so! One particular source of inspiration is A Link to the Past for SNES :D

- I don't know how the static touch magic skill works. When you have the cubes, what determines wether the cubes attack or not?
The cubes trigger when you hit something with normal attacks! There is a slight cooldown before the next cube can activate, however, so if you spam the attack button it'll sometimes cause you to attack so quickly that the cubes won't trigger on every hit. Also, the cubes won't activate if an enemy dies before the added damage has been applied.

- Will it theoretically be possible to maximize ALL skills and talents? How high would your level have to be?
Theoretically, I suppose so :D As for the level... That would require some math skills, and I'm afraid I have none :(

- Can you catch some kind of rare fishes too?
Every area has their own set of fishes, some of them more rare than others. Once you've found all fishes available in any specific area, you'll unlock an achievement telling you that you've found all available fishes there :)

- How much is there in the beta, compared to whats planned for the game?
We currently have 2 dungeons and there will be two more, with surrounding areas + a special final dungeon. In terms of side quests and other side activities we have no set limit or goal, so we'll just keep adding them until we feel like there's enough :p

Avos

Green Slime
Alright, sounds great! Thank you a lot for your reply to my questions. I find it amazing what only 3 people can accomplish if they dedicate enough time. Great job!

SeeNyu

Green Slime
We currently have 2 dungeons and there will be two more, with surrounding areas + a special final dungeon. In terms of side quests and other side activities we have no set limit or goal, so we'll just keep adding them until we feel like there's enough :p

That sounds short, sadly :(

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
That sounds short, sadly :(
I guess that depends on what you consider short or long. Sure, it won't be a 100+ hour campaign a la Baldurs Gate or other hardcore RPGs (unless you go for 100% completion, I suppose, nobody can tell how long it'll take for that). We believe rushing through the main story will take approx. 10 hours in the end, and I think that's pretty common in games today!