Co-Op Tips & Tricks ~Your guide to a smooth co-op experience~

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Here are some things to think about in order to get a smooth co-op experience:

Steam!
The game now supports the usage of your Steam friends list which means you can skip the steps on how to do Port Forwarding and how to use Hamachi! However, I'll keep them here in case you run into problems and want to try the old fashioned way. SO, if your game tells you to enter an IP Adress you need to go back into the main menu and change the network settings from IP to STEAM in the Options menu. After this is done the game should now go straight into the lobby and in there you can go to Invite to bring up your friends list inside the game. You could also open up the Steam In-game overlay to invite your friends or join a friend that has a lobby set up already.

Port Forwarding & Hamachi
If behind a router, the person hosting your game needs to have Port 6000 open, otherwise it will be impossible to connect. For a guide on how to open ports, check this thread.

As an option to port forwarding, there's Hamachi. Hamachi is a free software that allows you to bypass port forwarding if everyone connects to the same group in the program. We set up a guide for using Hamachi in this thread as well.

Avoiding Lag
If your internet is slow or you're downloading something, it might cause lag. It's probably wise to let the person with the best internet host your game if possible. Also, the further away you live from one another, the more base ping you'll get. This means playing with someone on the other side of the world (or even a few countries away) might be kind of laggy, depending on your connection.

Finding people to play with
If you couldn't convince your friends to join in on the fun, or you wanna make some new ones, you could always make a post on this forum asking if anyone's interested in playing! I recommend that you play with people on the same continent if possible. Let people know in the title of your thread what country or continent you're from or what language you're using to make things easier!
Edit: You can also join the SoG Discord Server which can help finding people to play with.
https://discord.gg/0OKNQ4xrrE0PRQQM

What happens to my Co-Op character when I return to Single Player?
If you were the host, nothing happens at all. Your quest stats and all your items are saved and you can just continue the game as usual.

If you were a client, your items and character progress will be saved, but you will (currently) have to redo any quests you finished in the co-op session. In the future we'll add a system which makes it possible to skip quests you finished in co-op!

Enemy Scaling
Aside from getting stronger in general, some enemies also get new attacks when in co-op. Many of these attacks are crowd-control based, meaning they might root someone to disable them from attacking! Sometimes you may be able to help your friend by hitting the enemy or their prison. Try it out!

--------------------------

If you have anything to add or ask, go ahead and reply to this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
We have been talking about adding an option to show other people's health, and it's something we'd like to do if we find a clean enough solution. We'll keep experimenting with it, hopefully it will be available at some point!

Drover15

Green Slime
We have been talking about adding an option to show other people's health, and it's something we'd like to do if we find a clean enough solution. We'll keep experimenting with it, hopefully it will be available at some point!
Just a smaller healthbar and energy bar left aligned under your character

Dainank

Green Slime
What's generally better post-forwarding or Hamachi? Also is this message old ^^^ as in can you now just host a game and join in a 'simple manner'?

Thank You!

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
What's generally better post-forwarding or Hamachi? Also is this message old ^^^ as in can you now just host a game and join in a 'simple manner'?

Thank You!
With the latest steam version of the game you can connect using your Steam friend list which is waaaay easier than port forwarding or Hamachi. If you're on either Frontline or Stable version on Steam but the game asks you for an IP, go into Options and change the Network Type to Steam. :)

Derekku

Green Slime
I couple friends and I were thinking of playing Secrets of Grindea, and were wondering if you still have to redo any quests you finished in the co-op session.
I know it says (currently) up above, but we didn't know how updated that was.

Thank you in advance for the reply.

GarlicJelly

I couple friends and I were thinking of playing Secrets of Grindea, and were wondering if you still have to redo any quests you finished in the co-op session.
I know it says (currently) up above, but we didn't know how updated that was.

Thank you in advance for the reply.
What ever quests the Host has not done will be available for the whole group to play (or play again if you've completed them on your character). The system to skip quests you've already done is not added to the game yet so any progress you make in the hosts world will not transfer over to your singleplayer world. Hope that clear things up. :p I tried to update the post earlier this week so all the important information was correct and that it wasn't missing any changes. I think I got it all right so the post should be 100% accurate. ;)

Derekku

Green Slime
What ever quests the Host has not done will be available for the whole group to play (or play again if you've completed them on your character). The system to skip quests you've already done is not added to the game yet so any progress you make in the hosts world will not transfer over to your singleplayer world. Hope that clear things up. :p I tried to update the post earlier this week so all the important information was correct and that it wasn't missing any changes. I think I got it all right so the post should be 100% accurate. ;)

Thanks for the reply it really clears things up.
I'm glad we can come and check this post knowing that its being updated. :3

GarlicJelly

Thanks for the reply it really clears things up.
I'm glad we can come and check this post knowing that its being updated. :3
It would be kind of dumb to keep it pinned to the top of the page if it wasn't actually to any help. :p

Rowan

Green Slime
With the latest steam version of the game you can connect using your Steam friend list which is waaaay easier than port forwarding or Hamachi. If you're on either Frontline or Stable version on Steam but the game asks you for an IP, go into Options and change the Network Type to Steam. :)

It wont let me change my network type. Help! I'm pressing z and arrow keys and nothing's happening.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
If you've got the DRM-free version you won't have the option to change to a Steam connection. I think you'll have to reinstall the game through Steam. Don't worry though - your characters are stored in a separate folder to the game files so they should port over cleanly.

Rowan

Green Slime
If you've got the DRM-free version you won't have the option to change to a Steam connection. I think you'll have to reinstall the game through Steam. Don't worry though - your characters are stored in a separate folder to the game files so they should port over cleanly.

But It wants me to buy it again. How do I get the steam version without paying again? Wasn't I supposed to get the steam version too? Oh wait, I got the game through my dad's email. Would it be there?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Assuming you bought the DRM free version, it came with a key on the Humble Bundle store. It's there where you can instead get a Steam key for the game, also giving you access to the Frontline Beta version.

Tibbysan

Green Slime

That would be awesome! :) Any luck on that? :3

Thalldor

Green Slime
It's still on our to-do list but I don't know when it'll be added! :)

I also kind of want to see it where you can't pickup health drops when at full hp because then it is just wasted on 0HP and could be critical in COOP as you might accidentally pickup a health orb and then in result it kills your ally. Is this planned as well or not currently?

Thalldor

Green Slime
Or simply have health drops as client side only :p

I feel like cheaters might be able to abuse that easier as if it is client side only a cheater can simply have a permanent health orb or edit the properties of it and they would not be able toe b contested for cheating since it is only client side.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
If a hacker's gonna hack, they'll hack everything, not just the health orbs. Anyway, amount of health healed is shown on everyone's screen anyway :p