Secrets of Grindea Miniboss theme: Drum and Bass Remix

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Having gotten the go-ahead from Andrew Riley, here's my remix of the miniboss theme tune! It's a free download in case anyone likes it that much. And don't worry, it's not as bad as most of the other drum and bass you might come across - at least I'd like to think.

https://soundcloud.com/teenageedmartist/sog-miniboss-dnb-remix
It's sounds very electronic and I wouldn't really call it Drum and Bass since DnB usually has some very iconic drum sounds. Still pretty good though. If I was making a space game and needed some cool music to play during a mission where you're sneaking inside some boss' headquarters I'd definetly put something like this. It's got the dramatic feeling with the synths making it sound omnious and space~ish. I also like that the drums are so far back in the mix and that they have a lot of reverb on them since it adds to the space feeling. Nice job! :D

Very cool, man! How long did that take you?
Most songs I write are burned into my head exactly as they are (since I have to hear them hundreds of times during the writing, recording, and mixing processes), so hearing someone else's take on one of them was a really interesting experience. So thanks for that!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
See @GoodStuff, a genre is usually defined by the things people publish in it. Really my work is more of a fusion of Techno and Drum and Bass though, if I'm being honest. The DnB is the more promenant of the genres due to the tempo of the piece, so that's the one I tend to classify it with.

By doing this I've discovered the difference between game music and listening music. Seen as game music is often on loop, it has to convey a constant feeling, rather than a change in feeling. My piece (at least somewhat) gradually gets more epic and less epic as it plays, whereas the original is constantly epic.

The reason the drums are so far back is because GarageBand puts some awful compression on the whole piece, which is a bit of a shame. As with the reverb, it sounded much better when it's like it's being played in a hall, and also works to flesh out some more empty parts. Glad you like it :p

Thanks @LuckyLionStudios! Took me around a month and a half of bus journeys to make, roughly equivalent to around 30-40 hours.