Version 0.680a

Elswor

Rabby
Well that was definitely a fun set of fights.

Took on both fights on Hard with my lv28 character (with a lv10 pet), and Normal on a lv22 one (with a lv1 pet). It took me awhile to notice exactly what the mechanic was with Zhamla (in that, you can't actually kill him), and I spent a ton of time wailing away on him while in Berserker Style only to realize, oh. He heals for 99999 and there's a bar on his HP that's slowly... moving. By that time I was already down to 300 or so out of roughly 1500 HP. Oops.

Berserker actually made quick work of the Mimic boss, but I had to be careful not to push DPS too hard since I ended up getting flooded with enemies, managed to finish it on my 2nd try. Being able to reflect his shockwave projectiles helped a ton.

Overall I'd say they're pretty well balanced, perhaps a bit on the easier side, though having them back-to-back adds to the difficulty (until you die, lol)

I'm interested in seeing what you guys are gonna do with the Angel's Thirst though. I noticed it's fixed now and its 8 ATK stronger than the Toy Axe with all of the current cards obtained. I'm guessing it will remain relatively the strongest physical 2H available as long as you grind for the cards?

Own

Level 25, 100% file, +14% damage pet.

Took me around 10 tries to endure Zhamla on hard with all defense gear, defense potion, protect.

So then I fought Mimic with Summon Plant. I could always kill him, but the slowing slime everywhere and enemies would devestate me, killing me before taking their 99,999 damage. Died 15 times to mimic before giving up. Maybe I'd do better if I paced out his HP removal better instead of trying to burst him down, but plants don't exactly know when to stop.

Moving on, I tried Flamethrower. It turns out Flamethrower isn't so hot when surrounded by a bunch of enemies with lots of HP. Killing the stone block while avoiding the other enemies was hard. Enraged gigaslime, also hard. Surviving the shadow with it, oof. I tried twice before giving up.

Moving on, I tried Shadowclone.

upload_2017-3-28_3-40-38.png

SPAM Z 2 WIN, baby! First try! Oh yeah! Also, as a bonus, you can now get the previously Arcade-exclusive Red Slime Hat in Story Mode. So that's a thing.

After I try with a 2H build, I'll switch down to normal and cycle through the builds.

Bonus thoughts from Discord:

So I think I just realized why people hate magic.
It's because SoG is designed like an old game, but not balanced like one.
In older games, magic was much more powerful than melee, but at the cost of having less HP and less defense
In SoG... magic ranges from actually pretty fairly balanced with melee to being weaker than melee.
So you have the same or less damage but you still have weaker defense and less HP as if you were playing an old RPG where being a wizard meant nuking everything

Old RPGs:
Warrior - Steady Damage, Steady Survival, Tank Groups or Duel 1v1.
Wizard - High Damage, Low Survival, AoE groups, burst 1v1. Limited by mana.

SoG:
Warrior - Steady/Amazing Burst Damage, Best Survival, Tank or Shred Groups, Destroy 1v1. Mana gone? Destroy with basic attacks.
Wizard - On par or worse damage compared to warrior, terrible survival, okay vs groups, okay 1v1. AoE spells do next to no damage. Mana gone? Run.

Why do wizards in SoG have significantly less HP / DEF than warriors if they receive no great advantage over them, other than old RPG philosophy dictating 'wizards = squishy'? Magic should do crazy damage compared to melee skills or the HP/DEF tradeoff makes no sense. :p

Edit: Gold charge Whirlslash with a damage potion does... around 2,100 damage? What? Did whirlslash get some huge damage nerf and I forgot? Got Mimic down to 15% HP left first try with it, but the damage was confusing. Seems on par with spirit slash.

Edit2: Gold charge Heroic Slam? SUPERSLAM! :D This makes a joke out of all three phases of the mimic and anything else it decides it wants to vomit at you.

res7less

Jumpkin
TaiMingPart3, Cutscene_ZhamlaReturns11, 2 of 4 might need a single player option. "Hero of Time" or even "Heroine of Time", if female.

Edit: By the way, it really helps a lot that you now consistently put cutscene_ in fron of cutscene dialogues (well, okay TaiMing 3 is almost entirely cutscene :D). And the extra space for stupid languages with long-ass words is also really useful, so thanks a lot!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Bag appears to keep giving the final tip on the mimic boss as "That must've been his final push" or whatever, despite when it's not the final push of the mimic. Having said that, I don't know what "Final push" pertains to, whether it's the end of one stage of the fight or the Ancient Mimic. However, it appears to be both...? I think I've also gotten one in the first stage when I intentionally killed myself which said something else, but most of the time it appears to be that.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Bag appears to keep giving the final tip on the mimic boss as "That must've been his final push" or whatever, despite when it's not the final push of the mimic. Having said that, I don't know what "Final push" pertains to, whether it's the end of one stage of the fight or the Ancient Mimic. However, it appears to be both...? I think I've also gotten one in the first stage when I intentionally killed myself which said something else, but most of the time it appears to be that.

Ah, good catch - I've probably forgotten to reset the tip after the final attacks, making them carry over!

res7less

Jumpkin
There seems to be a dialogue snippet missing for translation, namely where, during the Spell of Ceiling someone (I think it was Preia) has a bubble saying "Tessen, hurry!". I'll keep my eyes open if there's more.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Is Archie supposed to be in few places at once?

EDIT:
btw, the translation tool is lying:
CA9SFB3.png

Own

Various update thoughts!

upload_2017-3-29_7-1-4.png

Who is this? I can't seem to place them, but they have a unique character design.

upload_2017-3-29_7-7-59.png

I can't change time, but I can give it one hell of a beating.

upload_2017-3-29_7-20-27.png

Up until now this reaction has mostly been used for comedic effect, which takes away from the moment a little bit. :p It would probably be more fitting for the cutscene if it were a [!] of surprise, or a different, genuinely fearful reaction.

upload_2017-3-29_7-24-44.png

No collision on these things, though they seem big enough to warrant collision.

Pharphis

Rabby
  • Giga Slime's hammer strike can now be perfect guarded without breaking the shield
Oh thank god. Not going to play until the stable version is out but I'm glad I read that change

Own

In the first area of Tai Ming, if you push the statue down and right, you can slip into the area behind it from above. And it's extremely difficult to get back out of it.

https://player.twitch.tv/?volume=1&video=v132151005?t=04h00m03s

In 4P co-op, three people manage to enter the time portal while leaving their friend behind in the past. He was jumping off of the roof of the barracks when they left without him. Not sure how this happened, unless he was holding down and the game thought he was lower than he was on his screen.

https://player.twitch.tv/?volume=1&video=v132151005?t=04h11m26s

In 4P co-op, one person quits mid-Tessen cutscene and the rest of the three are stuck waiting for other players.

Own

upload_2017-3-30_10-45-27.png

If you face an elite echo, go inside a house, wait for the curse mark to appear along with the echo in the house, then go outside and back inside... you'll see a frozen image of the echo drifting off endlessly in one direction. Strange visual glitch.

Also, is there anywhere we can get the original 'Zhamla Rockstar Hero' song? :D It was so cool.

New bug: Frontline players from before this update won't have 'Tessen's Treasure Map' in their map list.

After finding the crown and turning it in, the reward for Tessen's Treasure Map returns to a silhouette. Or it was always a silhouette, I forgot to check after digging it up.

Own

When Zhamla kills the mamaworm, he got a heroic power rock song. His new one is a bit more... intimidating.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Let's say I have access to it. But if it's not free, it wouldn't be fair if I shared it, right? (still, if you want...)

Yo! I'll send you a link to an mp3 of the song in a little bit, Own. Or anyone else who wants it, just let me know. The library is meant for game developers who plan to use the song in a commercial project (hence the price tag), so if you're interested in it for listening purposes only, I'm happy to send it along. Or KoBeWi can, doesn't matter to me :)