Anyone used a Steam controller?

JonathanW12

Green Slime
I have a steam controller and I use it to play secrets of grindea. The controller makes using attacks in the game harder, but you can move around more easily. It is very easy to use and comes with extra buttons in the back what are convenient. While you are on your desktop you can use the touchpad as a mouse and the controller has probably the easiest keyboard you can use on a controller, as it is just like sending a text message. In first person games, the touchpad makes looking around very easy. I know this thread is old and you might already have got one but I made this response just in case you havent.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
How dare you question my use of emojis! :mad:

Speaking more reasonably tho, I tend to use the slanted mouth as an indication of awkwardness or mild embarrassment. On this occasion, I made this post a while ago and have already got and used a Steam Controller quite a bit, meaning most of the info in the post I already knew. To be honest, if I remembered there was an "oops" ( :oops: ) emote, I would've used that instead :p

Or, if you perhaps mistook it for a section of a file location, it's a face :D

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
:p
And what is your verdict on the controller?
Do you like using it for Secrets of Grindea? Do you like it in general? (Curious, because I also wanted to buy one, but I still hesitate)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The main reason I decided to buy a Steam controller was because, after playing a lot of Rocket League, my fingers started to hurt. As a controller for that, it's not particularly good because clicking in either touchpad, the bumpers or the control stick require a considerable amount of effort. As a controller it feels a little tacky for that reason, the fact that you can feel the ridge around the side with your hand and that the plastic doesn't feel too good.

That aside, the rebinding capability is absolutely immense. I did some calculations a month or two ago and I think you can fit up to something like 80 bindings on it, if a lot of them aren't frequently used. If there isn't a community binding you can modify to fit what you want you can always start from scratch, and do wild shit like turning haptic feedback on or off, adjusting deadzones (including removing deadzones the game already has), changing trigger start ranges, adjusting feedback curves and now you can even do macros. The amount of sub menus there are in the "configure controller" screen will keep you entertained for days if you're into that stuff. They're constantly updating the software from user feedback as well, such as adding in support for the gyro and clearing up the UI to make it easier to work with. Oh yeah, you can also add games to your steam library and use controller bindings there, but you have to launch it from Big Picture.

There's a few other things that bug me about it though. If you start any game with the controller plugged in/on, it launches the steam overlay in big picture mode, which is an absolute arse to navigate with a keyboard and mouse. Furthermore, if you have that overlay, whenever you open a text box in game it'll bring up the controller text menu, which covers the whole screen. If you want to quickly type a message to someone via keyboard but keep an eye on the game, that's impossible. However, if you then choose to launch without the controller plugged in, then plug the controller in, you can't edit the bindings at all. Anyway, these might get fixed in time.

Anyway, there's a wall of text :p By my standards, £40 (or your regional equivalent) + shipping is a bit steep for how long I've used it for, but hey, I can always sell it on. If it sounds better than an xbox controller, don't let me stop you buying one, but I haven't really had any experience with other controllers such as to give a decent comparison :D

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I propably won't buy one in the near future as I just replaced my XBOX Controller(because it broke :( ) with a PS4 Controller and I think there is a high chance of a newer version.

So for now I'll wait for the Steam Controller 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever.