Arcade mode Highscores

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
When a perfect guard is made, there is a certain amount of time where projectiles can land on the shield and be rebounded.
Depends on the projectile. Ones which are aimed at you such as Mage and Wisp, yes. ones which aren't such as Phaseman and Lantern Jack, no.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
When a perfect guard is made, there is a certain amount of time where projectiles can land on the shield and be rebounded. Which means you can hold down the shield button and perfect guard and not have to keep pressing.
The whole reason you would want to perfect guard is because your shield takes less damage (which might be enough to let your shield survive the full barrage of snowballs). :)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
That requires practice. A lot of it. I was just practising perfect blocking Marino's combo, and that's hard enough to get the rhythm right. When you tend to one shot the thing in story mode with one reflected barrage it becomes tedious.

Having said that, I think once you've shielded one, you're not allowed to put your shield down due to how quickly the projectiles arrive (a lot like the Yetis ice breath,) and even if you try to perfect guard again I'm not sure if it will let you. I'll go test that tomorrow.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
That requires practice. A lot of it. I was just practising perfect blocking Marino's combo, and that's hard enough to get the rhythm right. When you tend to one shot the thing in story mode with one reflected barrage it becomes tedious.

Having said that, I think once you've shielded one, you're not allowed to put your shield down due to how quickly the projectiles arrive (a lot like the Yetis ice breath,) and even if you try to perfect guard again I'm not sure if it will let you. I'll go test that tomorrow.
I have chained perfect blocks on Winter's snowstorm in some attempts to cheese the ice labyrinth to get more time to smack him on Hard. It might require the Talent that increases the perfect blocking window but I'm not sure. :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
You can do it. Although its completely pointless in beastmode because even with a Barrel shield and some skilled perfect guarding it only takes 7 projectiles to completely break the shield. The thing takes away 1/4 of my health in one hit ._.

Ardeof

Rabby
Maybe, but you can't just press once and hold down the shield button to perfect block the whole snowball attack, right?

You can't, but you can withstand a lot of the volley and do a lot of dmg. The point is that each of those snowballs blocked is a perfect guard, only having to press once and block properly. Then each snowball afterwards is rebounded back, and counts as perfect guard damage. The issue is that there's a volley of like 75 snowballs, and each does quite a bit of dmg even when perfect guarded.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Only the first one does a perfect guard amount of damage to your shield though. If you perfect guarded the whole volley (each snowball individually) you might not break your shield as early.

Paradinight

Green Slime
So I just got back into Arcade mode (being restricted because of school sadly :[ ). I'm still curious as to why Gun-D4M's final bullet hell has targeted missiles on two+ players? Why isn't it random like in single player? or at least swapped between the players.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
You could have it worse. I mean it's pretty bad, but both of you would take that many hits if it was the same as on Hard :p

Meanwhile... I'm sorry the Season Temple is a fucking pisstake compared to Flying Fortress for 1H builds. I walked in with about 1/4 HP left, and with my massive defence, practically brute forced the whole of the temple up to here. I took about 15 damage in the Elder Faes fight due to bumping into one of Summers spikes twice. Compared to Hard mode, that's taking the mick. Smashie Bashie did more damage to me. Anyway, nearly broke 1 mil. Got Winter half down as well, when I walked in with about 1/3 HP remaining. That's out of 616 HP in case you were wondering. It was a bit of a "just one touch on ice" moment.

Well then.png

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Well... GG. How to brute force arcade mode chaps. All recorded, will be putting up a video where I comment on the run, the strategy and whether this sort of strategy should be allowed in Arcade. Just bear in mind I hit the Season Temple for the first time yesterday, and I got my third fight with Smashie/Bashie today. It's a little OP to say the least.

iwin.png

[Edit]: Here's your floor 13 if you were interested.

iwin2.png

Last edited:

Ardeof

Rabby
Well... GG. How to brute force arcade mode chaps. All recorded, will be putting up a video where I comment on the run, the strategy and whether this sort of strategy should be allowed in Arcade.

Pretty sure Flamethrower is how to brute force arcade mode. Congrats though, good to see some improvement from one who's played as long as you.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
good to see some improvement from one who's played as long as you.
That'd be where you're wrong... which is where the problem lies. I haven't improved at all. I am no better at dodging enemies, or Winter, or any better at taking less damage. All that happened was I took my time and cared less about not getting S ranks, and pumped my DEF. When a season mage/knight hits you for 21, you can quite happily hop into a room and tear through everything for an S rank, not caring much about the hit or two you might take because the health orb on the next floor will cater for that, if not give you more health in return. I don't think that is a strategy that should be allowed in Arcade. It's about mastering enemy attack patterns, not tanking everything like you do in story mode.

Rdy might've said the best form of defence is excessive offence. When you have excessive offence and defence, it's a winning combo.

Own

Pretty sure Flamethrower is how to brute force arcade mode. Congrats though, good to see some improvement from one who's played as long as you.

Flamethrower is where you go once you've mastered Arcade in general. It just speeds up what you can already do, provided you understand how to dodge all enemy attacks and know the windows of opportinity.

I've seen a few streamers run Frost/Flame and, despite many hours in SoG, they still don't get very far with it. They have more luck with Whirlslash or Insect Swarm.

Ardeof

Rabby
That'd be where you're wrong... which is where the problem lies. I haven't improved at all. I am no better at dodging enemies, or Winter, or any better at taking less damage. All that happened was I took my time and cared less about not getting S ranks, and pumped my DEF. When a season mage/knight hits you for 21, you can quite happily hop into a room and tear through everything for an S rank, not caring much about the hit or two you might take because the health orb on the next floor will cater for that, if not give you more health in return. I don't think that is a strategy that should be allowed in Arcade. It's about mastering enemy attack patterns, not tanking everything like you do in story mode.

Rdy might've said the best form of defence is excessive offence. When you have excessive offence and defence, it's a winning combo.

"Well you're wrong, then after that i'm going to explain how I improved and ignore the fact that it's an improvement"

Okay.

Ardeof

Rabby
Flamethrower is where you go once you've mastered Arcade in general. It just speeds up what you can already do, provided you understand how to dodge all enemy attacks and know the windows of opportinity.

I've seen a few streamers run Frost/Flame and, despite many hours in SoG, they still don't get very far with it. They have more luck with Whirlslash or Insect Swarm.

Whirlslash is very different than Flamethrower. With Whirlslash, it's better to get surrounded by mobs. This means the player can stand around a lot more often, compared to Flamethrower. I haven't tried Insect Swarm, but it looks like a lazy version of Fireball. With Fireball it's a run back and fire tactic, which is much different from Whirlslash and Flamethrower.

With Flamethrower, the player runs back or charges forward once and then barbecues everything that tries to run at the character. Most things will be knocked back or interrupted by this spell, other than something like the Boar/Scarecrow/Halloweed/Yeti.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
"Well you're wrong, then after that i'm going to explain how I improved and ignore the fact that it's an improvement"
It's not an improvement. I had the potential in me all along. It's an improvement in score but not an improvement in strategy. Pumping the DEF wasn't new to this run, nor was the taking my time, nor was the caring about the S ranks.

Thanks for the congratulation at least :p

Also dodging strike is even more dangerous, but has very high payouts. The best was to play is to wait for an enemy to attack you, and then dodge it, which I think is a good reward for literally putting yourself into incredibly dangerous situations.