Arcade S-Rank Items Guide.

Own

These are assorted tips for acquiring the S-Rank items in arena.

1. Ignore HP buffing perks completely, unless you're going for a Snowbuddy build (his HP is based after yours). If you're getting hit on the floors you want to double S-Rank, you've already failed before you take enough damage to die. A better weapon and a better shield will serve you better, possibly with Time Warp or the +Quiver size to help.

2. Stats over defense, always. If you have something that gives -7 DEF armor but +5 AttackSpeed, switch. If you can sell everything that gives +DEF on your character for one item in the shop that gives ridiculous stats, do so.

3. Understand that your favorite build from Story Mode, or your favorite in Arcade, probably isn't going to work. If your skills can't do a ton of burst damage in a short amount of time, or can't crowd control multiple enemies, it's not going to work so well. All it takes is a few A-Rank room times to lose that floor S-Rank. A few of the bosses are currently balanced towards how quickly Whirlslash killed them in the previous update, and now that Whirlslash is nerfed you need something especially broken to compensate. (Personally, I assume that the timers are the way they are because the devs are trying to motivate people to find the most broken builds as possible for nerfing... which is clever, if intentional. Maybe when the game is more balanced those room par times will be more forgiving?)

4. Save your stat potions for the floors you want to S-Rank. If one room looks particularly difficult, immediately pause and chug that potion, otherwise save them for a hard boss.

5. Don't worry about taking damage on the floors leading up to the floor you want S-Rank items on. Play as casually as you like. If you want Flying Fortress's item, don't treat all the areas before that like a typical run.

6. Only take Bishop Challenges and Challenge Rooms if you're on the floors before the items you want. It doesn't matter if you take damage during them, you just need their items to hopefully burst down your target floor ASAP. If the Bishop appears on your target floors, ignore him. If you see a Challenge Room on your target floors, don't go inside.

7. Take as few rooms as is possible to get to the bosses on your target floors. Every room is a chance for an elite enemy to ruin your day. You lose some EXP and gold, but the reduced chance of getting an A rank is worth it.

8. Don't hesitate to rush in and start killing things. IHeartPie in his videos has a tendency to circle around the enemies a few times, trying to find the best venue to attack from, but that's because he plays for depth and not score. Plus he has to commentate, so he's distracted. You have to throw yourself at the enemies ASAP to ensure the room S-Rank.

9. Memorize the boss attack patterns, more than anything. Or figure out the best way to kill them. 20 arrows (or more with Arcadia perks) go a long way to ensuring early boss S-Ranks. The bees annoying? Run to the side of one and machinegun it down, do the same to the other. Vilya annoying? Walk up to her and hold your shield up once, let her bang on it for a while to memorize when you're safe to attack. Helloweed being sucky? Shield up when he digs towards you instead of runningaway, then attack to his left - when he raises up to swipe, move to the right, then repeat. All bosses have very clear tells like these.

Anyone else have anything to contribute? :)

Enoen

Rabby
I have a tip for bosses because these will ultimately be the ones to ruin that S rank...

GUN-D4M: I honestly suggest practicing hardcore (Literally) in the story mode's version before trying to S rank this; even I haven't yet and you can probably understand why: His bullet hell after you finish him off is ridiculous they shouldn't even have that implemented in the arcade mode imo as it makes it feel less rewarding to actually beat the boss. Practice perfect guarding his fist to have an immediate charged up skill to force him into the "Hit my face" state.

Winter: DDR-Mania. He is actually very easy to dodge but the problem with him is there's so much to pay attention to so be patient and if you have to don't even bother using skills to attack him. Just pay attention to your surroundings and just pure dodge until Winter gives you a chance to wail on him; then give it everything you got. To achieve S rank on floors 11-12 is god-like difficult but it isn't as unforgiving imo. Enemies have a pattern you can dodge and using the tips to maximize DPS you can kill anything.

I guess I'll throw in a tip for entering rooms for those of you like me who lose the chance to S rank because the moment you enter the room the enemies are already in your face; you will have to guard immediately and slowly manuver up or down to ensure that there are no thorn wall obstacles before making a run for it to make yourself feel comfortable. This may not always happen but it's better to play it safe than sorry.

ShadowM

Green Slime
I have a tip for bosses because these will ultimately be the ones to ruin that S rank...

GUN-D4M: I honestly suggest practicing hardcore (Literally) in the story mode's version before trying to S rank this; even I haven't yet and you can probably understand why: His bullet hell after you finish him off is ridiculous they shouldn't even have that implemented in the arcade mode imo as it makes it feel less rewarding to actually beat the boss. Practice perfect guarding his fist to have an immediate charged up skill to force him into the "Hit my face" state.

Yeah i have had runs in coop where i have had full health when the bullet hell starts and have dropped down to maybe 10hp when its over all due to the massive rng on the rocket drops.

Enoen

Rabby
Yeah i have had runs in coop where i have had full health when the bullet hell starts and have dropped down to maybe 10hp when its over all due to the massive rng on the rocket drops.
Would you believe me if I told you that I've suffered less stress fighting Winter without getting hit? I hate GUN-D4M. A boss that rewards you with a last 30 second attempt to ruin your dreams of being S rank.

Own

Gundam is about slow, small, precise movements. People who take tons of damage likely try to run around, I shield up and make small steps.

Also, less stress fighting Winter without getting hit? You've done the Winter battle without taking damage? What?

I refuse to believe anyone legitimately has the Season Temple S-Rank item. :p

Enoen

Rabby
Gundam is about slow, small, precise movements. People who take tons of damage likely try to run around, I shield up and make small steps.

Also, less stress fighting Winter without getting hit? You've done the Winter battle without taking damage? What?

I refuse to believe anyone legitimately has the Season Temple S-Rank item. :p
With enough practice and attention it is barely possible. Also safe up all your potions and try to kill Winter ASAP ._. I know that sounds basic and cliche but I understand how everyone can lose their shit fighting him. While I have the Dark Souls level of patience for trial and error; there is no actual way to re-fight the winter boss in hard mode to prepare you.

Enoen

Rabby
i think it also really depends on you getting Summer & Autumn instead of the Hydra
Actually I know a trick for that one. Did you know it took me 10 tries to finally realize that the stream of fire that the green one fires doesn't touch you if you go 'underneath' it? Like it seems to follow you. I don't know how else to explain it but I always assumed if I go up and then right for example and the beam of fire looks like it's blocking the way you just go underneath it, it's the burning floor that hurts.

Pharphis

Rabby
Hm, I was hoping for more advice.

Well, one piece of advice I would give (though I've yet to try it myself) is to take advantage of the low-health Atk/mAtk bonus. For example, that would be 30% bonus to all magic dmg, or all normal attack dmg. This is obviously much better than for example back-hander or a 1-2% boost to dmg you would get from other passive points. Of course, this means that you run is likely ruined as soon as you get hit once or twice, but *shrug*.

You could also aim for the boosted defense at lower HP.

That said, I have a very important question: How exactly is the dmg calculated to determine the S rank threshold for dmg? A rank? Is it % of your total HP, a certain value dependent on your level? Floor dependent? I honestly can't tell.

tkld178

Rabby
What advice do you want? I have all of the s-rank items from arcade so i know a few things, though i run a mage build so i don't know how much it will help you.

I believe that teddy said that the amount of damage you can take is 1/4 of the health you would have at floor level +2 if you get the max for room time. So at floor 5 it's 1/4 of the base health you would have at level 7. In the thread he also said that 12th floor is 175 damage i think.

Having health that low also means that you probably did not get a s-rank for at least one floor. Also not getting hit is not really an option as at that low you are one or two hits to dead on a bad enemy. I do great with my build but even on some of my best runs I get hit more than I like.

tkld178

Rabby
My magic build is flamethrower first, earth spike second, for 3-8 frosty friend, finish earth spike and then flamethrower. For talents you want magic damage and more energy so you have more after silver FF. FF is for aggro and a decent amount of dps, learning when to rage it is important. Earth spike is your floor clearer, less damage than flamethrower but costs less and has good range while still being able to handle most enemies well, flamethrower is for bosses/tanky enemies. Unless you know when you want to charge(you know a charge will kill when otherwise will not or certain situations) you will just want to hit things as fast and as much as possible. Know what things to kill first, typically range guys. Learn enemies.

Arcade can get crazy and you just need to learn what to do in most situations.

Damage will break or make your run. If you don't get enough it can get very difficult.

Pharphis

Rabby
What advice do you want? I have all of the s-rank items from arcade so i know a few things, though i run a mage build so i don't know how much it will help you.

I believe that teddy said that the amount of damage you can take is 1/4 of the health you would have at floor level +2 if you get the max for room time. So at floor 5 it's 1/4 of the base health you would have at level 7. In the thread he also said that 12th floor is 175 damage i think.

Having health that low also means that you probably did not get a s-rank for at least one floor. Also not getting hit is not really an option as at that low you are one or two hits to dead on a bad enemy. I do great with my build but even on some of my best runs I get hit more than I like.
This is very helpful, thanks!

Also, my suggestion wasn't for a build to make it through the game: only to make it to floor you want S rank on and to start it at low health.

edit: is the dmg threshold increased if more than 1 player?

Last edited: