Compatible USB controller?

I'm wondering which USB controllers are compatible with the game? I was looking at the Buffalo classic USB gamepad but I don't want to order it until I know it will work with SOG. Let me know which controller you use.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
XBox360/One controllers work out of the box, and PS3/PS4 controllers work if you run a compatibility program!

Check out this thread: http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/index.php?threads/play-with-a-gamepad-joytokey-other-tools.143/

Generic USB controllers won't work right now. We aim to enable support for them at some point, as well as adding support for the new Steam controller.

I personally recommend XBox 360 controllers for PCs, unless you really hate them or can't afford one, since their compatibility is so great.

So I would just buy a 360 controller and then what? Is there a process I have to go through in order to connect it to my computer. Kind of a noob question I know but I've never hooked up a controller to my computer before.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Just tell us if you encounter a problem. Some of us are quite active here, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with getting help ^-^

Now if you give me a second, there's another thread on this topic...

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
For a PS3 controller you probably shouldn't use JoyToKey, but something like BetterDS3 or DS3Tool! They will make the computer think the controller is an XBox controller, thus making it compatible with everything.

I personally don't use a PS3 controller though so I can't help you with the specifics. Googling "using a PS3 controller on a PC" should probably bring up some good guides, I imagine!

For a PS3 controller you probably shouldn't use JoyToKey, but something like BetterDS3 or DS3Tool! They will make the computer think the controller is an XBox controller, thus making it compatible with everything.

I personally don't use a PS3 controller though so I can't help you with the specifics. Googling "using a PS3 controller on a PC" should probably bring up some good guides, I imagine!
Ok, I'll mess around with it a bit more. I may just have to buy a 360 controller.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
They charge with a USB cable, so simply plug that into your computer... I'm pretty sure anyway.
I'm pretty sure that that USB thing is just for charging so it wouldn't connect with the computer if it's a regular Xbox controller. However there are specifically designed controllers for PC use. There are also USB devices that lets you connect your Xbox controller wirelessly to your computer (I have one of those myself and it works great, but the installation was a bit confusing).

Jyeli

Green Slime
I'm pretty sure that that USB thing is just for charging so it wouldn't connect with the computer if it's a regular Xbox controller. However there are specifically designed controllers for PC use. There are also USB devices that lets you connect your Xbox controller wirelessly to your computer (I have one of those myself and it works great, but the installation was a bit confusing).
I believe you're thinking of a play and charge controller (wireless) that requires the wireless receiver. A regular wired controller will work by just plugging it in, since windows has build in support for it.