[CRASH] Can't start the game :(

Vespeir

Green Slime
Hello,

I've recently bought the game but never managed to play it. As soon as I start it, the window of the game opens for 1sec and I get the "Game is deaded" box right after that.

I've tried most of the solutions found on the solved topics and also on steam topics (the "Penultimate" one also) but none of them worked for me.

Would be great if someone could help me...

Thanks

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hi!

Was it you who sent the "The evil Rabbys must be dealt with!" error report?

If so, it would seem the game is having trouble loading a texture for the main menu.

Among the things you tried, was one of them to verify the game's cache on Steam?

Vespeir

Green Slime
Thanks for the quick answer! Yes it was me. I tried to verify the game's cache on steam plenty of times but it never worked

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hmm... what is the full path to the game install directory? You can find the directory quickly by going into the Steam Library, right clicking the game -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse

I'm thinking it might be some issue with a file path or something.

For science, you can from there go into Content\Localized\MainMenu and see if there are some button PNGs there!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
You could also try to start the game from within that folder (by clicking the exe, that is)! I've heard that has helped people get around problems in the past.

Are you using any antivirus? If so, try disabling it and start the game again!

Vespeir

Green Slime
I tried to start the game by clicking the exe and it does the same thing. I've reported in the box again with this "Vespeir is sad".
File path to the game is "Program Files (x64)\Steam\steamapps\common\SecretsOfGrindea" and there are button pngs in the MainMenu folder :

MainMenu-1.png

MainMenu-2.png

I also tried to disable the antivirus and exclude the game folder from the antivirus but it didn't worked

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I've made a little change in the code so the game can skip loading these things. The nature of the error leaves me a bit worried that other things might go wrong, though :(

To receive the update, go into the Steam library, right click, properties, betas.

There, type "translatethis" into the text box to unlock a beta called the "Translation Beta", which nowadays is used mostly for situations like this!

Switch to that beta, and make sure the game updates.

Try again!

If it still won't work, or something else breaks, I think it's time to make use of that refund button :(