[Crash] Extreme Lag in the Bishop Fight with Proton

Quadellupine

Green Slime
Hello!

First of all, I could not figure out if I am supposed to report issues that occur while using Proton with Linux. If not I apologize. This bug occurred on all versions of Proton I could install and get to run via Steam(which includes the current experimental, 4.2-9, 6.3-7 and 5.13-6). I also tried this on Stable and Frontline.

The Bishop fight in Pillar Mountains has extreme lag for me. Whenever a lot of Bishops are on screen and especially when they throw projectiles, the game sometimes freezes for up to 30 seconds. I could not record a significant spike in resource usage (GPU, CPU and RAM stayed at the normal usage levels). I could record a video and upload it if that would help at all.

I'm on Kernel 5.10 Stable Manjaro Linux. I use a GTX 1080 with 470 proprietary Nvidia drivers and an i7-6700K. I experienced only minor stutters at best in any other fights and areas of the game, so this doesn't seem normal to me. I labeled this as a Crash because it seemed to be the best category, but the game doesn't actually crash.

Thanks for making such a great game, I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hey, thanks for the report!

Proton is really quite a magnificent undertaking, and it's great that it lets Linux players run the game surprisingly well!

However, it's maintained by Valve themselves, so unfortunately I can't be of much help in fixing this kind of issue (I've been able to provide workaround for shader-related crashes before, but I probably can't help with a slowdown like this) :(

To report an issue to Valve, you can check their GitHub page for Proton here:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues?page=2&q=is:issue+is:open

That said, you could certainly record a video and post it here and with some luck maybe I can spot something! If nothing else, perhaps I can help with formulating the issue for a formal Proton issue post.

Shooting from the hip: could it be that the lag spikes occur when the Bishops disappear?