[crash] game crashed before I can start

jesusreport

Green Slime
NICE!

first, thanks for offering the buy into beta, one of the few games I would consider doing this for honestly.

Looked around the forums, doesn't seem to be a common problem (could not find an already answered question for this).

I just downloaded the beta; both on steam and through HM the game will crash before anything opens.

Any ideas?

thanks,

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I know this, it occurs when you changed ingame the setting for fullscreen and windowed/fullscreen-windowed
open up following path
C:\Users\Chocodemon\AppData\Roaming\Secrets of Grindea
where Chocodemon has to be replaced with your name or just enter %appdata% in the windows search
appdata.png
and open the Config file in there
change the setting from Zoom and Fullscreen as you want them, save the file, then start the game anew.

jesusreport

Green Slime
What sort of crash is it? Is it the standard Windows crash or do you get our error report popup?

Did you try the demo beforehand?

If you haven't tried the demo, one of the dependencies might not have installed properly!

Try installing XNA 4 Redist: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

If that doesn't work, try installing .NET 4: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24872
I get just a pop-up saying "the game deaded ;(" when i try to run the game.
no i didn't try the demo, lol i knew i wanted the game since i saw it on greenlight and subsequently the videos on your main page. I will give these suggestions a try and update. Thanks for the quick response!

ewanstorm

Green Slime
I have the same Problem
i want to start the game and then i get the error pop up from the game
i try to installing the Links but it don´t help
I hope someone have a idea :'(

viRo369

Green Slime
I try it all
and i really have no idea why it doesn´t work
  • Windows Up to date?
  • All hardware drivers Up to date?
If you are able to answer all questions above with yes. Try this:

Solution (1)
  1. Deinstall: "Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0"
  2. Install "CCleaner" (URL: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)
  3. Run Cleaner & Registry error finder.
  4. Install: "Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0" (URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914)
  5. Restart you Computer.
Solution (2)
  1. Launch Steam.
  2. Click 'Library'.
  3. Right click on Secrets of Grindea.
  4. Properties.
  5. Local files.
  6. Verfiy intergrity of game cache...
  7. Wait for verifying. Restart Steam.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
  1. Run Cleaner & Registry error finder

Be careful with this. Flash based games like the older Binding of Isaac or Super Meat Boy get their saves deleted with the standard settings. 99,99% of games are ok, but you should read the settings anyway. It's quite "powerful"

ewanstorm

Green Slime
i try everything but nothing work...
i think the Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 doesn´t work with my pc
but why? i try it on my Laptop too. But there i have the same problem
But the game work at the pc from my brother

if i deinstall Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 an try to start the game it didn´t start,
but then there isn´t a pop up with "the game is dead"
But if i install it i always get the error pop up... :'(

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
when you don't install XNA there is no pop-up because it can't even start, and when it is installed, it crashes after it starts.
You need the XNA Framework 4.0 or 4.5

isn't there an error log for such cases? My game didn't crash since i reinstalled it a while back, so there is no errorlog. Anyone know where ewanstorm can find it?

If you can find the errorlog/crash-report/etc. can you send it to me?

ewanstorm

Green Slime
I search for it but i don´t find it
in :
C:\Users\"USERNAME"\AppData\Roaming\secrets of grindea

I only have:
- characters
- Worlds
- arcademode.sav
- main.dtt

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
XNA is located amongst your steam files. You can easily find them by right clicking on Secrets of Grindea in your Steam Library -> Go to Properties (Should be last on the menu you bring up with right click) -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files... (This will bring you to straight to the Secrets of Grindea folder inside \SteamApps\common)-> Inside _CommonRedist you'll find 2 folders called DotNet and XNA

Happy Hunting! :D

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Ewanstorm, can post your DxDiag?
If you don't know how to access it, you have to either just press the "start"-button or windows key and search for dxdiag.
Or you can press windows-key + R and then enter dxdiag

in the programm is, on the bottom left, a button to save all this info as a txt.
Can you upload the txt somewhere and post the link here?

ewanstorm

Green Slime
my brother fix it
i don´t know what he done but it work
he do something in the steam cloud i think i can´t explain it sry
but thanks to everone for the tipps ^^