[Crash] Game won't launch after upgrading to Windows 10

mangy_cur

Green Slime
i just upgraded to windows ten and now the game wont launch. i have reinstalled both the game and steam, tried running in front line and stable, and attempted to launch the game from the steam client the shortcut and the program file, in all cases a window pops up stating "preparing to launch secrets of grindea..." the window auto closes then nothing happens. help

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Have you tried running Steam as admin?

Have you tried disabling Steam Cloud for the game (right click game in library > properties > updates > uncheck the bottom box) and then deleting the config.txt in %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea ?

Have you tried re-installing XNA? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

Also, if you go into the Event Viewer, do you see any entries from the game crashing there?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Also, you can try navigating to {steam install folder}/steamapps/common/SecretsofGrindea/ and launch the game from there to see if you actually get an error message doing that.

magnusi

Green Slime
You can also check if the proccess of secrets of grindea actually pops in Task Manager.

Also make sure you have the correct version of .NET installed. Win 10 shouldn't fuck up .NET but who knows. SoG works perfectly on my Win 10 machine.

mangy_cur

Green Slime
OK so i disabled steam cloud, i couldn't find the config.txt anywhere so i deleated the whole folder and reinstalled. ran steam as a admin, ran SOG as admin with and without the stem client open tried launching it from the client, the desktop, and the source file. i reinstalled .net and XNA. none of these steps made any progres and i never got an error code. the non steam demo works fine and actually picked up my save file from the steam version, so i gues that means that the bug is client side.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Did you go into the Event Viewer? Sometimes that thing logs stuff that doesn't appear anywhere else.

I don't know about Win10 but in other versions you can open it just by typing eventvwr in the start menu search bar!

When open, go into Windows Logs > Applications and look for errors!

NobuxD

Green Slime
I'm getting this in eventviewer

Faulting application name: Secrets Of Grindea.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55bf7ab7
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16384, time stamp: 0x559f3b2a
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000a7c6d

The Demo works, just not running on steam. There's no config.txt in the directory :[

I've already installed XNA and the program doesn't pop up in the task manager. Steam cloud is unchecked and everything is ran under admin.

RESOLVED: I went to the file in the steam folder and right clicked Secrets of Grindea>Properties>Compatibility>Unchecked Run this program in compatibility mode

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
RESOLVED: I went to the file in the steam folder and right clicked Secrets of Grindea>Properties>Compatibility>Unchecked Run this program in compatibility mode

Glad you resolved it!

Was the game set to run in compatibility mode by default for you? :O

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yes, and it was set to compatibility for windows xp service pack 2.

Hmm, that's interesting!

When it crashed, did it crash with a "This program has stopped working" windows popup, or did it just disappear silently?