Crash, Of a sort

NekoPika

Green Slime
On steam when I try to start it, nothing happens, it says I start it, and does nothing. I tried reinstalling it, same thing happen. Tried it on front line,stable.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
On steam when I try to start it, nothing happens, it says I start it, and does nothing. I tried reinstalling it, same thing happen. Tried it on front line,stable.

Can you see any errors for the game in the Event Viewer? You can open it up by bringing up the Windows start menu and typing eventvwr. Then go into Windows Logs->Application and look for errors related to Secrets of Grindea! The .NET Runtime errors are most useful.

NekoPika

Green Slime
Application: Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Stack:
at SoG.Program.Main(System.String[])

That's what it says in the event viewer.

Killfish

Green Slime
I have the same issue here. Different error messages though, and no .NET Runtime error that I can see.

Here are the full texts of the errors I see:

Error 1:
Faulting application name: Secrets Of Grindea.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x56c1fffb
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10586.103, time stamp: 0x56a853dc
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00076c5a
Faulting process id: 0x1f98
Faulting application start time: 0x01d17241bd3ce1da
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SecretsOfGrindea\Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 5d3b91be-b234-4219-88fe-a316d6e51c03
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Error 2:
Faulting application name: Secrets Of Grindea.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x56c1fffb
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.103, time stamp: 0x56a853fe
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000ad081
Faulting process id: 0x19c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d17241afbce6df
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SecretsOfGrindea\Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 74b84779-294d-48c7-8509-c377e71b6f85
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Killfish

Green Slime
Tried that as well. Still won't start. No error message pops up and I get the windows events I posted above

Props

Rabby
Here's the real question. Is this your first time playing it? Are you playing the Stable release or the frontline beta?

Tell you what, I'll help you get it running. Just tell me what you've done so far.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Tried that as well. Still won't start. No error message pops up and I get the windows events I posted above

Hmm. The ntdll and KERNELBASE errors are just super generic "the application crashed" errors unfortunately! They are core Windows DLLs. If they appear without a .NET error message, that just means that the game wasn't even allowed to load before crashing. In other words - the issue could be absolutely anything!

Last test: go into the game folder in the Windows Explorer (right click game in Steam library -> properties -> local files -> browse), and see if you can get it running from there. Try launching it as admin, and also try running the compatibility troubleshooter on it.

If that doesn't work, I'll suggest refunding before your 14 day auto-refund period ends :(

You can give it a shot later down the road by downloading and firing up the demo, to test if the issue has disappeared!

Props

Rabby
Hmm. The ntdll and KERNELBASE errors are just super generic "the application crashed" errors unfortunately! They are core Windows DLLs. If they appear without a .NET error message, that just means that the game wasn't even allowed to load before crashing. In other words - the issue could be absolutely anything!

Last test: go into the game folder in the Windows Explorer (right click game in Steam library -> properties -> local files -> browse), and see if you can get it running from there. Try launching it as admin, and also try running the compatibility troubleshooter on it.

If that doesn't work, I'll suggest refunding before your 14 day auto-refund period ends :(

You can give it a shot later down the road by downloading and firing up the demo, to test if the issue has disappeared!

I'm sure we can get it working DEV, don't give up! If you don't have the time, I do! Computer repair is my thing anyway....I'll gladly walk him through this.

I don't want him to miss the opportunity of playing this great game.

Killfish

Green Slime

Bah, still no dice unfortunately. I really wanted to get this running. Thank you so much for the help man! I'll keep trying anyway, the game looks super promising.

Last edited:

Killfish

Green Slime
I'm sure we can get it working DEV, don't give up! If you don't have the time, I do! Computer repair is my thing anyway....I'll gladly walk him through this.

I don't want him to miss the opportunity of playing this great game.
Thanks for the offer!
I've tried the following:

1. Running the .exe as an admin
2. Disabling antivirus
3. Uninstalling and re-installing .net (3 times)
4. Uninstalling and re-installing the game (3 times)
5. Verifying the game cache
6. Disabling all my background programs
7. Running in compatibility mode
8. Tried all the above with frontline and stable releases.

I haven't tried installing it on a different hard drive yet because I want to keep my games all on the same hard drive if possible.

If you have any further suggestions or help it would be greatly appreciated!

Props

Rabby
Okay, I have to ask, but this is the first time you've installed and played the game, right?

When starting the game, does your screen do anything? What resolutions does your monitor/tv screen support? As I'm not a developer, I'll gladly help you get this running, but the problem is, I don't have the resources or references that they do; so I'll be searching the internet for information too.

What I'm trying to figure out, is if the game launches at all. If it pops up under task manager, if a button appears on your taskbar; if there is a process under task manager and the screen flickers (attempting to change resolution)...

Try, the best you can, to take me step-by-step through what happens when you launch the game. This will give me an idea of where to start. If it's a hardware issue, software or even an OS.

Killfish

Green Slime
I have never gotten the game running, so yes this is a first time install.

The screen does not flicker or change, it is a 1440x1080 144hz monitor. Also, nothing appears in the windows task bar.

Here is what happens on attempted startup:
1. The program clearly attempts to load, it comes up with the steam launch box for a split second
2. The steam menu changes the game status to running, which goes away after a few seconds
3. There is a small CPU usage spike
4. Secrets of gindea appears in my background processes, but disappears after a split second
5. The error messages I attached above appear in the windows event viewer.

Props

Rabby
Is this the first time you've ever played the game? First time ever? No previous installs on different computers or the one you're using now? What I'm getting at, this is the first time you've ever installed it and attempted to play.

This may or may not be your problem. But I had a similar issue not to long ago. Same exact problem. Thing is, I had previously played the game and therefor, I had corrupted files, not detected using Steam's verify game integrity. I followed these instructions, which I found on Steam. I ultimately deleted the entire folder(and sub folders), saving only 0.cha from the characters folder. The problem was corrupted or incompatible files from a previous version of the game, that no longer worked with the latest beta.

First, disable Steam Cloud for the game so it won't restore the files after you delete them. To do this, right click the game in your Steam Library, select Preferences, go to the Updates tab and deselect Enable Steam Cloud.

Then open up explorer, go to %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea/ and delete Config.txt.

Try to start the game again. Try using Windowed Fullscreen instead of regular Fullscreen if that was what caused the issue!

If it still won't start, you could attempt to delete the entire folder. Make backups of everything, though, since this will delete your characters, and it would suck if this wasn't the issue in the first place!

If you still can't start the game after doing these things, it's time to post to the forum and ask for assistance.

These instructions, which I suggest you take a look at if you haven't already can be found here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/269770/discussions/0/535150948610498999/

I'm sorry if you're going in circles, I'm just trying to rule things out in my own mind, so I can get a foot hold of what the next step might be. I'm trying to eliminate the software aspect of your problem.