[CRASH] The game deaded

Breno Feijó

Green Slime
Hello, bought this game 1 hour ago and cant make it start. Got this pop-up every single time. Already verified the integrity of the game cache, (re)installed XNA and NET Framework, deleted the Config.txt from the APPDATA folder, disabled steam cloud, tried all the BETA options (none, frontline and .600). And i really really want to play this game, even bought with the Valkyrie Helmet, but i just ran out of ideias and can't find another solution.

So if anyone can think of another solution, i would thank you a lot, since i dont want to refund this game.

Sorry for any spelling error.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Could you send an error report with a specific line attached?

Type: "When the Bloomos rise" and send it in so I can know that it's yours!

Breno Feijó

Green Slime
Could you send an error report with a specific line attached?

Type: "When the Bloomos rise" and send it in so I can know that it's yours!

HI! Sorry for taking too long, but after messing up some configs here, i dont know HOW, but it actually worked. But still thank you for reaching out. I'm having so much fun right know, the dialogues and the animations are so good! Cheers!

BadMonelia

Green Slime
HI! Sorry for taking too long, but after messing up some configs here, i dont know HOW, but it actually worked. But still thank you for reaching out. I'm having so much fun right know, the dialogues and the animations are so good! Cheers!
i have the same issue. could you tell me what did you do each specifically?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Looks like some folder permission issue!

Does your computer have a "%APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea" directory? If so, go there and create a folder named "Backup" and see if you can start the game!

If that doesn't work, try running the game as an Admin (just restart Steam as an admin and SoG should start with the same setting)

BadMonelia

Green Slime
Looks like some folder permission issue!

Does your computer have a "%APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea" directory? If so, go there and create a folder named "Backup" and see if you can start the game!

If that doesn't work, try running the game as an Admin (just restart Steam as an admin and SoG should start with the same setting)
I've done it. there's no "the game deaded" window, but it's still not playing. there's simply no reaction

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Can you see any errors for the game in the Event Viewer? You can open it up by bringing up the Windows start menu and typing eventvwr. Then go into Windows Logs->Application and look for errors related to Secrets of Grindea! The .NET Runtime errors are most useful.

BadMonelia

Green Slime
Can you see any errors for the game in the Event Viewer? You can open it up by bringing up the Windows start menu and typing eventvwr. Then go into Windows Logs->Application and look for errors related to Secrets of Grindea! The .NET Runtime errors are most useful.
I got this, if i didn't get it wrong.

Attachments

• aa7bee2f3a5bb5e5d5adfdcca3834cc5.png
    aa7bee2f3a5bb5e5d5adfdcca3834cc5.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 4

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Have you tried all the things Breno had tried? That is, verifying the game cache etc?

Also, did you create a backup folder, or did you run Steam as an administrator, when you started getting this new problem?

It now seems like the Steam installscript for the game crashes for some reason!

Here's something to try regardless: go into your Steam library, right click the game and select properties, then go to Local Files and click "Browse Local Files...". From there, try to start the game using the Secrets of Grindea.exe.

BadMonelia

Green Slime
I actually just tried verifying the game cache, and there is "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired". but when the file start to download, it failed, and retrying it only lead to the same failure. and it's saying disk read error.

I made it,and also run it as administrator, but to no avail.

Attachments

• bc8268fe032c8b6c80e01165a7acf18d.png
    bc8268fe032c8b6c80e01165a7acf18d.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 3

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Have you tried installing the game somewhere else? Perhaps there really is a disk read error! Is there free space on the drive?

If you uninstall the game and then reinstall it, you can select a new location in the dropdown of the Steam install box!

BadMonelia

Green Slime
Have you tried installing the game somewhere else? Perhaps there really is a disk read error! Is there free space on the drive?

If you uninstall the game and then reinstall it, you can select a new location in the dropdown of the Steam install box!
I've succeeded playing the game! i reinstall the game, the "game is deaded" window still appeared. then i change the BETA option to .600 and everything worked! thanks for the help :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Out of interest, have you found out what's causing so many people to get errors like this recently @Teddy? Hopefully it can be fixed sooner rather than later, or the review scores on Steam start to gradually go downhill :p

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Out of interest, have you found out what's causing so many people to get errors like this recently @Teddy? Hopefully it can be fixed sooner rather than later, or the review scores on Steam start to gradually go downhill :p
Off topic, but I think the ratio is about the same as it always has been, but as we've had an increase in players lately it will seem like more people are having these problems simply due to more people playing the game.

To be honest I think the biggest threat to the review score are people buying the game and expecting us to finish it faster than we possibly can :p ...But that's a conversation for another topic, moving this one to solved for now!