[Crash] Upon startup

Yalort

Green Slime
I just bought the game today, and when I try to start the game through steam, the window just never appears.
I have already skimmed the forum somewhat, and it seemed there were some slightly similar problems, but mine it still somewhat different. As it is not so much a crash. I launch the game, and the my icon changes to be playing the game, in the list the game also sais "running" next to it. This stays and does not reverts even tho no window ever appeared, not even the steam window that sais it is launching the game. (I already have about 10 in game minutes this way before I "closed" the game with task manager.) I tried re-installing the game, restarting steam, running it with administrator, I checked my .NET versions (i have both 4 and 4.5). My windows version is 10 (updated from 8.1). I also have no game file yet in the %appdata% folder. Also tried changing the resolution in the compability of the game file (which starts the game, but then I get this -> screen grindea.jpg).
This screen is my complete screen on my laptop.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Are you using any antivirus? If so, you could try disabling it and see if the game behaves normally (and then re-enable the antivirus with the game added to its exceptions)!

For the screen, do I understand it correctly that most of your screen turns white?

Yalort

Green Slime
Adding it to exceptions for my antivirus seems to do the trick indeed. As for the screen, the white part was leftover from the program i used to make the screenshot into a jpg. It was just that my whole screen sort of contracted to what you could see on the left side of the picture.
But thanks for the help :), luckily it was a simple solution (hoping that will be the only one).

Atomic_Sam

Green Slime
I have tried what you said Teddy its dosent work. When I start the secrets of grenda in steam its says its running but never start

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Try closing it in Task Manager, and instead (if you're using Windows) go to your hard drive, Program Files (x86), Steam, SteamApps, common, SecretsOfGrindea. There should be a file named "Secrets of Grindea.exe". Make a shortcut to that and put it on your desktop, and launch the game that way. That's the solution I've been using and it works fine, although I think it might hit an issue or two if you use a Steam controller and you don't have Steam open when you launch the game.

Hope this helped.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Can you see any errors for the game in the Event Viewer? You can open it up by bringing up the Windows start menu and typing eventvwr. Then go into Windows Logs->Application and look for errors related to Secrets of Grindea! The .NET Runtime errors are most useful.