Deaded game

msm187

Green Slime
I just got the game on Steam and it won't launch. So far I've tried:

-Updating XNA and .Net Framework
-Running Steam as admin
-Uninstall/reinstall
-Looked for user/appdata/roaming/secret... there is no file, my understanding is the game has to run for this to appear and the game won't run.

I'm running windows 10 64bit. Need help ASAP

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
If Chocodemon's suggestion doesn't work, could you crash the game, click Show Error and post it here?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Could be some kind of permission issue preventing the game from creating folders. Try creating the path in the image! That is, a Secrets of Grindea folder in the Appdata/Roaming directory.

msm187

Green Slime
made a Secrets of Grindea folder in the Roaming dir and still deaded, but now this error comes up in a notepad window when I hit "Show Error"

Version: Auto Stable

Error: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Weber\Documents/Secrets of Grindea/Languages' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at SoG.Game1.Initialize() in (path)\Game1.cs:line 336 - FullScreen: No - NetworkRole: LocalOnly - MD5: a8b202423ca67ba14a3e3cb57a87661e

msm187

Green Slime
And after making an SoG folder in Documents:

Version: Auto Stable

Error: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Weber\Documents/Secrets of Grindea/Languages' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at SoG.Game1.Initialize() in (path)\Game1.cs:line 336 - FullScreen: No - NetworkRole: LocalOnly - MD5: a8b202423ca67ba14a3e3cb57a87661e

Sent the error as well tagged with MSM187

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Your common folders (Documents and Appdata) seem to be write protected, which should be countered by running Steam as an administrator, but you claim to have already tried that. You might try it again, or you could try to start the game as admin directly via the game's exe. To find that, right click the game in your Steam library, select properties, go into local files and select Browse local files. Then right click it and select Run as administrator.

If that doesn't work, create a "Languages" folder in the Secrets of Grindea folder you created Documents, then go back to the Secrets of Grindea folder in Appdata/Roaming and check its security properties to see if something is set up badly. All permissions should be set to Allow for SYSTEM, admins and your own account.

msm187

Green Slime
Creating the languages folder worked. Not sure why the game wasn't doing this. I checked all the permissions earlier and the game had full access. Will update if it stops working again. Currently have closed and restarted successfully three times. Steam is running as admin. Thanks for the help.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The game will need to create more folders as it saves character and world progress, so here's to hoping the admin rights work as they should when that time comes!

msm187

Green Slime
So far it's created all the necessary folders in the Appdata/Roaming/SoG folder. I'll let you know if it goes sideways again.