Evil Eye is very difficult

lesarbres

Green Slime
Like at least 10x as hard as any other boss in the game so far, IMO. I'm not mad because I don't think it's cheap or unfair, it is learnable- The margin for error is just so small and he has so much HP. It reminds me of a boss fight in Dark Souls, where you get destroyed the first 10-20 attempts and then start to get better at it.

I attempted all evening yesterday but only one time did I get to the phase where he comes out of his socket. I'm using a 2H melee build and I wonder if this fight would be easier with my Insect Swarm caster, I haven't attempted it yet with him. You spend 90% of this fight avoiding damage so it's hard to find much time to do melee damage.

Not necessarily a criticism, just feedback on how this boss is for me. I'm sure it was intended to be hard.

res7less

Jumpkin
To be fair, the Cursed Priestess was also a very tough boss with a lot of different mechanics that have to be learned first in order to start making progress. And I still like her the least out of all other bosses. But yes, the Evil Eye was also a very hard boss compared to others and I also struggled to beat him even with the 1h clones attack speed build that's considered one of the best dps builds.

Interestingly enough, it was a lot easier to beat with a deep frost mage build with an alt afterwards. Although ofc it has to be considered that I knew the mechanics by then. But still, my alt was several levels lower, has probably only around 40% of the cards collected, and significantly less HP compared to the 1h main. I guess it's frost's range and AoE that really helps with the fight. I'm curious to test my mettle with 2h against him now.

lesarbres

Green Slime
What are the mechanics of the phase where he comes out of his socket? I've only got that far once and I had low HP already and died immediately, so I don't even know what to do if I get that far again.

res7less

Jumpkin
As far as I remember it just starts rolling around the room and sometimes spin around in the middle while the small ones continue appearing. It also continues to shoot beams while spinning that need to be dodged.

lesarbres

Green Slime
Update: I still think Evil Eye is hard but not as hard as I thought. I realized I had -132 defense (negative defense). I equipped that Skull Ring when I found it because I was sleep deprived and didn't really notice the massive negative defense stat.

I swapped that thing out, and put on some more +DEF armor until I had about 100 DEF, and farmed a few cards that give +HP or +DEF (plus I beat the secret trick phasing challenge and equipped the Laser Claymore), and then I beat Evil Eye on my next attempt. Still hard, but I didn't come close to dying this time.

Own

Update: I still think Evil Eye is hard but not as hard as I thought. I realized I had -132 defense

Yeah, that'd do it. That's the best thing about cursed equipment. People trying to fly too close to the sun with it! :naniva:

Can't wait until it gets added to arcade. Rocking double cursed rings sounds amazing.

lesarbres

Green Slime
Yeah, it felt like Hard Mode (though I was on Normal), and it turns out that I was more or less playing on Hard Mode.

Swapped that ring out and then made the Crabby Armor for a DEF upgrade, and I was taking less than half as much damage I think.