Game unable to be run with Nvidia GPU

ReamOfWool

Green Slime
Hi,

I have just updated my laptop to the Fall Creators update (version 1709), and it seems to be wrecking havoc on games that are using my Nvidia GPU.

When I run Secrets of Grindea using the Nvidia GPU, it will hang at the "faded" screen with clouds in the background just before the main menu.

The error as shown in Event Viewer:
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Secrets Of Grindea.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 59fc4c8a
P4: Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics
P5: 4.0.30901.0
P6: 4e6012cb
P7: 512
P8: 91
P9: FHPCUUF52YYP2ZYVPQD3AR2BZX5BJVNS
P10:

When I run it with the Intel GPU, the game can run just fine. I've tried enabling "disable full-screen optimizations" for the .exe, but it doesn't help too.

Running Stable beta v0.7.3.0a.

I guess it should be some driver screw up on Microsoft's part, but if anyone has ideas on how to solve this besides downgrading the Windows version, I'll greatly appreciate it :D

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I had it in another game and switching rendering to OpenGL fixed it. Though Grindea uses only DirectX and you can't change that, so I don't think there's anything you can do (other than hope Microsoft will fix their stuff).

ReamOfWool

Green Slime
I had it in another game and switching rendering to OpenGL fixed it. Though Grindea uses only DirectX and you can't change that, so I don't think there's anything you can do (other than hope Microsoft will fix their stuff).

How did you switch the rendering to Open GL in the other game ? Is there an option in that game ?

ReamOfWool

Green Slime
I was curious as to how Kobewi does that in that game he played, as I face issues in other games too, but not all. Which is really strange.

L4D2 works just fine. But not Dungeon Of The Endless for instance.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Well, the other game was Trove, and you can set renderer in graphic settings menu. Though such option is rather uncommon in games.

But funny how that Windows update not only affects specific games and applications (my GeForce Experience doesn't work with Nvidia, how ironic), but also specific PCs. I can run Grindea just fine. You could try re-installing the update or something.
When Grindea gets Linux port, it should be able to run OpenGL on all platforms, so in worst case you'd have to wait for this.

ReamOfWool

Green Slime
Thanks a lot for the reply, Kobewi :D

Hmm somehow for Dungeon Of The Endless, I managed to get it to work by enabling "disable full-screen optimizations" under the Compatibility tab for the .exe itself.

Sad to say this trick doesn't work for Grindea haha ~

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
You need to have 2 graphic cards first (usually happens on a laptop). Then either right-click the game and select your GPU from context menu or use graphic options (eg. Nvidia settings) to set default one.