[gameplay] lantern jack

Salazni

Green Slime
i was fighting some lantern jacks in the woods when i noticed if you perfect block the fireball with another one not too far behind it, it reflects both. the 2nd fireball hits the shield for normal damage, but is still reflected. in my case a perfect block takes 2 dmg and normal block is 17, but the shots hit me for 2 and 17 and BOTH shots reflected back. not sure if normal or not.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
You can only reflect attacks with Perfect Block. I think that the code has some kind of timer for when you pull up the shield that let's the player pull up the shield a bit early but still get a Perfect Block. You might have pulled up your shield so that when the second attack hit your shield it was still within the timer the code has for Perfect Blocks. If my theory is correct then getting the effect of Perfect Block on different enemy attacks would be possible too as long as they are really close together. (Just guessing.) :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
This is a micro design decision I made when I was possibly drunk (but it's still possibly good, hard to tell).

What is happening is that I've coded in a small extension of the perfect guard window's special effects in case you succeed with a perfect guard. So, while a perfect guard only triggers within 0.2 seconds after lifting the shield, attacks hitting you will receive any potential debuff effect for another ~0.3 seconds.

The reason why I added this way back was because back then, Perfect Stance (the perfect guard bonus) could not be used to cancel into shielding. So basically, I felt that in scenarios where two attacks (say lantern flames) came really close together, the player would deserve to perfect guard both projectiles if the first one was done correctly.

Now, though, since you actually can tap the shield button to "double shield" after a PG and that way receive two proper perfect guards, this system might be redundant.

(if you don't get what I mean with double shield: normally you can't spam the shield button because your character will end up lifting and lowering the shield, but after a perfect guard all shield animations become shield cancelable for a little while, allowing you to instantly re-activate the startup, which is what gives you perfect guards)

Aurophobia

Halloweed
Kinda like parrying in SF3, so I think taking out that little design since you can shield cancel into shield upon perfect guarding, would be a good decision.

Salazni

Green Slime
i understand you teddy, i managed to double perfect block using the shield tap, but when i missed and it still reflected the 2nd shot i want sure it was intentional or not.

love the perfect block system btw.